Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Hiawatha Trail - Pearson trailhead?

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 09-01-19, 09:11 AM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

We're planning to ride the Hiawatha Trail a coupla weeks from now. Has anyone driven the dirt road from Wallace to the Pearson Trailhead? The Hiawatha Trail website claims the road is well maintained.

Our Prius can handle gravel, but if the road is potholed we'll take the Subaru instead. Any reports from this season would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-19, 09:07 PM
MikeDD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have not driven it in several years, but I would take the Subaru. The are steep grades and you will see fast moving traffic pulling trailers. This also hunting season, wear a bright color.
Old 09-18-19, 12:44 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I have ridden quads all over Moon Pass and Slate Creek Road (really a trail) between Wallace and Avery. That country is as vertical as it is horizontal, I am guessing the road to Pearson T/H is no exception. I would say take the Subie - better to have it and not need it than vice versa. Also, can't be too cautious with the rain we've been having. Could turn otherwise Prius-friendly hard-pack gravel/dirt roads in to impassible creeks with little traction.

Please PM me and let me know how your ride went! I haven't been out there since I got in to cycling and I would LOVE to explore!