Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD Domane SL5 disc

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD Domane SL5 disc

Old 09-25-19, 12:58 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
NBD Domane SL5 disc

Finally decided to pick up a road bike after 2,000 miles on the hybrid. Elected to go with a 2019. My last road bike was a Schwinn Continental so it’s been a long long time. My first impressions after 200 miles:
the ride is comfy
the hydro disc brakes and levers are nice
the 105 group set shifts quick and crisp
like the bar tape
seat is a tad hard beyond 15 miles; will revisit later
the bike feels nimble and tracks well
the free wheel clicking noise is much louder than the hybrid
Overall very pleased and looking forward to more miles and gaining experience.

Last edited by Fendertele; 09-26-19 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Add pic.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 09-25-19, 01:32 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Good to hear you are enjoying it.
It will be a great bike for you.
Old 09-25-19, 04:58 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Congratulations! Pics of your new beauty?
Old 09-25-19, 06:21 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I am biased as I just bought the SL6 but they really are a nice bikes. Congratulations on your new bike.
Old 09-26-19, 04:14 PM
Fendertele

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I am biased as I just bought the SL6 but they really are a nice bikes. Congratulations on your new bike.
The SL6 is a great bike; congrats.
Old 09-27-19, 06:34 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
My wife and I just got new SL 4's (hers came in last week and mine won't arrive until November). I kind of wanted the 105's but couldn't afford/justify the extra expense for them (especially as new riders). If they offered the 105's in the AL series I probably would have done that but they don't.
Old 09-27-19, 07:55 AM
Fendertele

Congrats and enjoy your rides.
Old 09-27-19, 07:58 AM
UkCatsBiker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! I’m looking hard at the Domane as well.
Old 09-27-19, 08:48 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
I do recommend being open minded going into the process. I went into my LBS really thinking I wanted the aluminum Cannondale Synapse with the shimano 105 gear set (it seemed like a great value for what you get). After getting measured and sitting on the bikes I realized the Synapse was just too long for me (I am the least limber person I know) and that the Domane just fit better. It's almost like buying running shoes in that you just have to find the one that works for you.
Old 09-27-19, 09:21 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by Jungleland
I do recommend being open minded going into the process. I went into my LBS really thinking I wanted the aluminum Cannondale Synapse with the shimano 105 gear set (it seemed like a great value for what you get). After getting measured and sitting on the bikes I realized the Synapse was just too long for me (I am the least limber person I know) and that the Domane just fit better. It's almost like buying running shoes in that you just have to find the one that works for you.
Just be sure to also go in informed about what size(s) you are really suited to, and how that differs from brand to brand (at least the big ones, like Trek, Specialized, Giant). I remember early on when first getting into bikes, I too thought the Synapse I had been pointed to was too long for me. Turns out, it was the only one close in my size the store had for me to try. Later I went to a different shop that had one that was one size smaller (2cm?), and that Synapse fit like a glove. I didn't end up buying it, but it just drove home the point that some LBS employees are better than others in terms of informing you that perhaps the one or two models they have in the shop may not be the best size for you (no LBS can afford to stock every bike in every size).

When I was trying out Madones, an LBS told me "I've only got a 54 in stock, and you look like a 52, so you can ride it, but know that the reach will long, etc. But you can at least figure out if you like the feel of the ride, and if you do, I can try to get a 52 in for you next week from the warehouse." I appreciated that they were up front that the fit wouldn't be right, and their willingness to bring one out if I was serious about buying.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 09-27-19, 12:00 PM
CarloM

Also to add to what I wrote, not only does each major brand fit one's body a little differently, but each major type within it as well (i.e. Endurance: Synapse/Domane/Defy, Racing: Emonda/SuperSix/TCR, Aero: Madone/SystemSix/Propel). Sorry I don't know the Specialized model equivalents

So it's good to know you're a size xxx for Giant TCR, but you are size xxx for Trek Emonda.

Once you find a bike that fits you well (like I did for the TCR), write down all your measurements (if a shop did the bike fit for you) and also take down the bikes essential measurements (tube lengths, stack, reach, etc.) so that in the future, if you decide to buy a bike online, you can compare all of those to determine what fits you. For example, given just my height and inseam, Competitive Cyclist keeps recommending a 53cm frame when I look at their frames. But looking at the specific measurements, it's clear I should be buying between a 50-52cm frame, depending on the manufacturer and geometry.
Old 09-30-19, 07:07 PM
Velobuck
Velobuck

Bikes: Tarmac Pro- Record 11, Fondriest X Status Record 10, Domane SLR, F. Moser Hour Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats

I bought the Domane SL6 and upgraded to Pro3v wheels with 28mm Bontrager R3 tires.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the Saddle. The Bontrager Arvada looks like and feels like the FiZik Aliente for about 10 minutes, then it hurts like hell, regardless of my position (upright on the tops, or lower in the drops).
I’ve been riding Aliente VS model since 2010 and I can ride all day. I also removed the spacers under the stem and increased stem length 20mm and swapped to the Easton EV90SLX bar. Big improvement.
Likes For Velobuck:
Old 10-03-19, 04:50 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm now on my 3rd season on a Domane SL6 disc and still loving it, about 8K miles on it. I replaced the seat early on but I've never actually stayed with the production seat on any bike I've bought. That year it came with the Metron Vision 40 wheels, which I really like.

The 2020 Domane has that clever down tube compartment, very cool. Being able to fit a lock and some food in my saddle bag would be nice - I hate to carry anything on my back or pockets.