Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from me

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 04:54 AM
slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Greetings from me

Hi.
Like most everyone, I have never been far away from the world of wheels. First as an infant in my pram, then as a young child on my tricycle then as courage and ability grew I ventured onto two wheels.
I can recall my early lessons at the family home in Owairaka; I was aged about 5 when my Father gave me my first cycling lessons on two wheels down the sloping back yard. I am not sure that I ever came to trust him fully after that introduction however I must thank him for enabling me to master the bicycle in such quick time.
Bicycles featured in my life from then on until my late teens when motorcycles and other excitement became known to me. Then it was an AP5, four wheels and a family of my own.
A time later I rediscovered my love for motorcycles and enjoyed them for some time. Then a different reality and I was learning to master and accept the wheelchair. Of late I have resurrected an older handcycle and am waiting for Summer to arrive so I can experience that mode of transport some more.
Bicycles are featuring again too - I bought my wife a BSA Oma that was imported here by an expat Dutchman, on sold to a Kiwi not far from my home and lately, purchased by me.
That BSA is now getting some attention and is what has drawn me to this forum along with a NZ made Raleigh 20 that is a bit different in that the frame is two piece.
Regards.

Last edited by slow_runner; 09-27-19 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 07:43 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
slow runner,
It is nice to have you joining us on Bike Forums, I am sure many of us can relate to our first cycling experience...staying up and then turning around only to see one of our parents in the distance waving to us and wondering how or if we would be able to turn around or stop without falling.
I think you will find a lot of comradery and information here.
My Best and welcome, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-27-19, 12:38 PM
slow_runner

My Father was great. The sloping section was more 30 plus degrees with a Hurricane mesh fence at the boundary as a buffer. There were a few attempts before I learnt how to steer while staying upright. Ah, it is amazing how clear and fond those recollections are.
Old 09-29-19, 07:54 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by slow_runner
My Father was great. The sloping section was more 30 plus degrees with a Hurricane mesh fence at the boundary as a buffer. There were a few attempts before I learnt how to steer while staying upright. Ah, it is amazing how clear and fond those recollections are.
Agreed, vivid indeed!
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-29-19, 08:22 PM
Jessepcooper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slow_runner
Hi.
Like most everyone, I have never been far away from the world of wheels. First as an infant in my pram, then as a young child on my tricycle then as courage and ability grew I ventured onto two wheels.
I can recall my early lessons at the family home in Owairaka; I was aged about 5 when my Father gave me my first cycling lessons on two wheels down the sloping back yard. I am not sure that I ever came to trust him fully after that introduction however I must thank him for enabling me to master the bicycle in such quick time.
Bicycles featured in my life from then on until my late teens when motorcycles and other excitement became known to me. Then it was an AP5, four wheels and a family of my own.
A time later I rediscovered my love for motorcycles and enjoyed them for some time. Then a different reality and I was learning to master and accept the wheelchair. Of late I have resurrected an older handcycle and am waiting for Summer to arrive so I can experience that mode of transport some more.
Bicycles are featuring again too - I bought my wife a BSA Oma that was imported here by an expat Dutchman, on sold to a Kiwi not far from my home and lately, purchased by me.
That BSA is now getting some attention and is what has drawn me to this forum along with a NZ made Raleigh 20 that is a bit different in that the frame is two piece.
Regards.
Sorry to hear about your reality shift, but happy to hear you are adapting in kind. The forum has proved an invaluable resource for me as well as I dive into resurrecting some promising old bikes. Welcome!
Old 09-29-19, 08:48 PM
slow_runner

Thanks for the welcoming messages. It is a comprehensive forum and I am enjoying finding my way round - and then back again