Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New User

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 04:14 PM
a.bandini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New User

Hi All,

I found this forum in some way that I don't totally remember, certainly google-ing some kind of bike repair advice.
I live in New Orleans and love riding here, its flat and scenic, and the bike culture is wide and welcoming.
Before New Orleans I lived in Atlanta and was very involved in the bike co-op there. I built my first bike there about 12 or 13 years ago,
and still ride it today as my commuter. Its a single speed and as simple as can be, upright and easy for getting around with a big basket on the front.
Moving to New Orleans I realized how much pretension there was in Atlanta around cycling, where the expectation for being a cyclist included spending money on a flashy jersey and clip-less pedals. Here, most people ride cruisers and there is no (or at least very little) judgement. In my opinion, that's the way its supposed to be- why create artificial barriers around cycling?

I like to tinker with vintage projects, often things I find on the side of the curb getting tossed. That ends up being mostly old school Schwinns and 3-speeds. I have a doozy of a situation with a stuck seatpost on an old Schwinn Tandem that I'll post about in the mechanic section. I've read through many of the posts there already on the subject, and the advice of using ammonia, ect, but this one has an extra-special extenuating circumstance, have I got your interest already?

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know y'all.
-Alex
Old 09-29-19, 05:32 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Alex,
A warm welcome to a new member from the "Big Easy". BF's like people who "tinker", you will find a lot of folks here that you can converse with as well as sharing your knowledge.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-29-19, 09:50 PM
a.bandini

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Alex,
A warm welcome to a new member from the "Big Easy". BF's like people who "tinker", you will find a lot of folks here that you can converse with as well as sharing your knowledge.
Best, Ben
Thanks Ben, appreciate the welcome! Looking forward to chipping in where I can and learning a lot.
Old 09-30-19, 05:21 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums! You might find the mechanics section something you would be interested in.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-30-19, 03:19 PM
a.bandini

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Welcome to Bike Forums! You might find the mechanics section something you would be interested in.
Thanks Siu- I'm counting on it!
Old 10-01-19, 06:08 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!