Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 07:12 PM
Fluteman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm kinda in and out of the 200 door...summer weight sometimes drops below to 195. At 6ft. I feel pretty good...much better than I was at 260. I recently got back from a 4 year stint in the Philippines. Working as a volunteer with "Bike for the Philippines". All of our donated bikes are Mtb as that is what the children needed to get to their school in the mountains. I helped train and did repair classes with the students. We also took many group rides through the mountains..such breath taking beauty. The cheap bikes do so poorly in the mountains and very hard to maintain. But there are some really nice bikes in the mix also. With my weight, I was afraid to ride (even to test) many of those bikes as they always feel if they are going to break. Luckly, the President of the bike foundation had a Super nice Trek 29er that he let me borrow most of the time while I was there.
Old 05-26-17, 11:53 PM
JackG79

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Everyone!!

I'm new around here.. My name is Jack, and I m looking at getting back into Cycling after many years off.

I am trying to find a good strong bike to hold me up so that I can get out and burn some calories and enjoy the summer.

I grew up in the Albany NY area, and live up north in Northern NY near the Canadian and VT boarders.

I look forward to learning from everyone and enjoying all the great content this site has to offer.

I am a father with 2 boys! Oldest is 9, and the little guy is 2 and me and my girlfriend have been together for 11+ years. (no we are't married, we didn't want to just jump into anything LOLOOL) .

Anyways. Happy biking everyone and look forward to getting to know everybody!

Jack

Last edited by JackG79; 05-27-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 11:14 AM
Atsuico
Nice Guy

Bikes: 1985 Trek | 1988 Bianchi Superleggera | +++

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting category. I've never heard these terms before but I find it humorous enough to be entertained into the grouping. I'm a hair away from 6'6" and hover near 200 (right now 203). I've played soccer and been a runner for most of my life. I've biked a lot but never looked to it as a serious way of training, more just a way of transportation and relaxing. Lately i've been getting into longer rides and exerting myself and find it to be a decent workout, it certainly uses many different muscles compared to running so it will be interesting to see how it helps my times improve. My biggest challenge has been finding bikes to ride that fit comfortably (i'm sure that's a common problem in this group).

So yea, good to see many people of all sizes enjoying riding and I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from more experienced riders who've faced similar sizing challenges.
Old 05-29-17, 12:14 PM
megaclyde

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Surly Ogre, Kona Rove ST, Trek Stache 5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello all. 6ft 330 LBS here. I'm not a super sloppy 330. Kind of a lineman build, muscular dude with a beer belly. I started riding bikes again this year after a long hiatus. My last bike was a Gary Fisher Rangitoto back in 1995. I wanted to ride as a form of exercise and also as an activity my wife and I can do together. We do beginner type singletrack one day a week after work and a no drop, group road ride on Saturday mornings. Just last week I started commuting to work a couple times per week. It's 12 miles each way so I'm starting slow by riding in and catching a lift home. My goal is to be doing 100+ miles/wk by mid summer.
Old 06-01-17, 02:48 PM
frequentdoodler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I'm 5'5" and I'm 280lbs. (165cm and 127kg). I'm 22F. I played football and baseball in middleschool/high school and lifted weights for a little while. I'm very wide and very strong, but now I'm ALSO very fat, haha. I am a college student who would like to begin commuting using a bike, but the last time I rode a bike was around 14. We were poor and I could only borrow my neighbors bikes for a short while, so I'm approaching this venture as 100% new to biking in all forms. I walk everywhere, roughly four miles a week, but I need to step up my game.

My goals thus far are to be able to deadlift my heaviest weight (300lbs), and to use cycling as a way to get around about 80% of the time, weather permitting. I don't have an ideal size or an ideal shape, I just want to be STRONG!

Thing is, I need to get a bike that works with my frame, style, budget and needs. And that's hard as heck when you're my weight.
Old 06-07-17, 08:52 AM
JDinTulsa

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Hi All! I'm 5'10"(ish), and just this morning weighed in at 238. Just bought a bike about a month ago, and started commuting to work, with a goal of 3 days a week. I'm pretty sure I've lost about 5 pounds since getting the bike. Hopefully will be under the 200 line by winter!
Old 06-15-17, 04:25 AM
Majorlee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New here

What's up guys I just started riding again after about 7 years I was pretty fast at about 225 pounds but now I'm 281 and totally out of shape, it's way different riding now because I'm in much lower gears than I used to be in hopefully I get back to where I was . 40 miles was a walk in the park now 3 miles feels like 100
I Bought a gt grade expert fb and I love it my Old bike was a gt zaskar always been a fan
Old 06-17-17, 04:38 PM
BigLdet

Bikes: Charlescen

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all

Hey yall im larry. I fall in the clydesdale category with my big 290lb 5'11" frame.

Ive been commuting for a few years on my department store bike for a few years, but its finally wearing under much pressure. Can't fault it for 150 bux making a lot of winter commutes through metro Detroit.

Ill be moving to a Jamis Coda sport or comp in the next weeks. My first real bike since i had a gary fisher gitchee gummee in college.
Old 06-18-17, 09:19 PM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6.0 and 285
Old 06-19-17, 01:55 AM
SniperP229

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc, Trek 6700 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Guy getting back into Mountain biking.

Hi,
I'm getting back into it... mountain biking. I used to MTB all over Santa Cruz mountains in Calif when I was younger and not quite as heavy, though at 205 I'm not that much more than I was at 180 30 years ago...
I have had all kinds of MTBs from a Schwinn pregnant frame beach cruiser that I built/morphed into an SS mtb with Cook Bros. racing hubs, etc. that I could ride wheelies on foreeeeeeeever... to Specialized Stump Jumper, to the Trek 4300 disc I have now.

Now, I live in Portland, Or and have rediscovered mountain biking. I got a mint Trek 4300 from a pawn shop for 200.00 and have been riding it a bit. Its a tad too tall of a frame at 22 or 23 inch depending on where I measure to at the the top post from the BB.
So, I found a 6700 frame set on e bay for 185 less wheels and derailleurs in a 17" frame. Hopefully all the parts I need to finish it will fit off my 4300. It's been a looong time since I built/repaired bikes.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I know I'll probably be upgrading to a Trek Fuel soon...

I'd like to find some people to ride with on the weekends as I'm usually off sat sun mon...

Here's a pic of my 4300 and the 6700 That's is on it's way..

Well, never mind. l It says I can't post pics until I have 10 posts done...
Old 06-21-17, 01:04 PM
racer83l

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm 275 lbs. I was an avid MTB'r in early 2000's when I was in the USCG. Got out, got an office job, got married, bought a house, had kids got FAT. I live in a hilly area and had a GT Avalanche 2.0 I tried riding in my neighborhood a few times and got really discouraged and stopped. fast forward 5 years, I bought a Rad Power Bikes Rad Rover in February. Been riding it for a few months, it got me into good enough shape to ride the hills (slowly, but I am able to ride them) and I horizontally upgraded to a Cannondale CAADX (rated for 300lb rider plus 30 lbs gear) and I'm loving it. I don't have enough time to ride as much as I like.. I work 6 days each week 7:30-5:30 and try to spend time with my kids from the time I get home until their bedtime. and I actually love my wife and try to spend time with her as well.

my LBS has been helpful with me choosing a bike and getting it setup for my height and weight.

I have been lurking on here for a while and a lot of you people have been quite inspiring to read about.

Thank you for this forum! P.S. whats up with the 10 posts to post a photo......
Old 06-30-17, 02:22 PM
Lumpy Coal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all. Used to ride a lot 15 to 20 years ago. Never had a great bike bur love to ride...both road and mountain bike. Later I switchef more to road riding. Fast forward 15 years and three kids I want to get back into it. Just picked up a 1986 Kuwahara Apollo Classic in amazing shape. Found this forum looking for info on my bike.
Old 07-05-17, 09:40 PM
theK00L_AIDman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
31 Years Old
320lbs
6'0"
Actually riding a $130 Walmart Road Bike for the next month.

Hi all, I'm new to (serious) biking and looking to use cycling as a way to get some exercise that will be easy on my knees. I ran 5Ks up to until a few years ago but had to stop due to a bum knee that I've had three surgeries (including two ACL replacements) on from hockey injuries. At only 31 I was fairly depressed about not being able to do the two physical activities I loved, hockey and running, anymore. I ballooned from an already overweight 250lbs to the roughly 320 that I am now.

Earlier in the spring/summer my wife and I got a couple of bikes to try and be more active. I got an old school style cruiser and she got a hybrid city bike. We've both loved riding. A week ago I was at Wal-Mart (yes, I know, hear me out) and on a whim bought what is probably the cheapest, and ****tiest road bike in the US, the Kent Roadtech. This thing blows, but I figured for $130 I could dabble and see if I had any interest in taking cycling beyond leisurely cruises. 90 day return policy so I either fall in love with what road bikes CAN be (when not on this POS) and return it and buy something safe and reliable or find I'm more of a cruiser guy and return it. Either way, the bike is going back. Again, I did not plan this purchase. If I had, I would have gotten something on bikesdirect or looked for something used on craigslist. I'm only riding a few miles at a time right now (I'm not fit at all) and staying close to home for when a spoke inevitably breaks.

What I've found so far:
1. The bike sucks. Not surprising, and yes, I expected this. I've indexed the front and rear deraileur and adjusted the brakes. The wheels need to be trued (I will have to learn how to). I've set my saddle as best I can (the frame is probably a bit too small for me. I think it's a 54cm, and I need a 56.
2. I'm enjoying the limited road biking I've been doing, and it HAS BEEN limited. With the cruiser I can ride for miles and miles without breaking a sweat. The road bike puts me through my paces by engaging muscles I haven't used for years and the cruiser ignores (like my core due to the riding position). Thankfully the saddle is probably the best part of the bike (though that isn't saying much) and after riding a few minutes I don't notice it too much.

So I'm going to continue to cruise with my wife and train harder with the other BSO to see if my interest holds for a month or so. Then back to Wally World with it and I'll be on the hunt for something sub-$500 that can hold a 300lb gorilla.

*Disclaimer - I'm well aware the Wal-Mart road bike is a terrible toy. Again, it was a spur of the moment purchase that isn't permanent. I am fully aware that I should have bought a used bike if I needed something cheap. But I'm also aware that if I do find enjoyment with it, I'll really be in love with the sport after I get something that fits and has quality components.

Last edited by theK00L_AIDman; 07-05-17 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 11:28 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by theK00L_AIDman
31 Years Old
320lbs
6'0"
Actually riding a $130 Walmart Road Bike for the next month.

Hi all, I'm new to (serious) biking and looking to use cycling as a way to get some exercise that will be easy on my knees. I ran 5Ks up to until a few years ago but had to stop due to a bum knee that I've had three surgeries (including two ACL replacements) on from hockey injuries. At only 31 I was fairly depressed about not being able to do the two physical activities I loved, hockey and running, anymore. I ballooned from an already overweight 250lbs to the roughly 320 that I am now.

Earlier in the spring/summer my wife and I got a couple of bikes to try and be more active. I got an old school style cruiser and she got a hybrid city bike. We've both loved riding. A week ago I was at Wal-Mart (yes, I know, hear me out) and on a whim bought what is probably the cheapest, and ****tiest road bike in the US, the Kent Roadtech. This thing blows, but I figured for $130 I could dabble and see if I had any interest in taking cycling beyond leisurely cruises. 90 day return policy so I either fall in love with what road bikes CAN be (when not on this POS) and return it and buy something safe and reliable or find I'm more of a cruiser guy and return it. Either way, the bike is going back. Again, I did not plan this purchase. If I had, I would have gotten something on bikesdirect or looked for something used on craigslist. I'm only riding a few miles at a time right now (I'm not fit at all) and staying close to home for when a spoke inevitably breaks.

What I've found so far:
1. The bike sucks. Not surprising, and yes, I expected this. I've indexed the front and rear deraileur and adjusted the brakes. The wheels need to be trued (I will have to learn how to). I've set my saddle as best I can (the frame is probably a bit too small for me. I think it's a 54cm, and I need a 56.
2. I'm enjoying the limited road biking I've been doing, and it HAS BEEN limited. With the cruiser I can ride for miles and miles without breaking a sweat. The road bike puts me through my paces by engaging muscles I haven't used for years and the cruiser ignores (like my core due to the riding position). Thankfully the saddle is probably the best part of the bike (though that isn't saying much) and after riding a few minutes I don't notice it too much.

So I'm going to continue to cruise with my wife and train harder with the other BSO to see if my interest holds for a month or so. Then back to Wally World with it and I'll be on the hunt for something sub-$500 that can hold a 300lb gorilla.

*Disclaimer - I'm well aware the Wal-Mart road bike is a terrible toy. Again, it was a spur of the moment purchase that isn't permanent. I am fully aware that I should have bought a used bike if I needed something cheap. But I'm also aware that if I do find enjoyment with it, I'll really be in love with the sport after I get something that fits and has quality components.
Wow, Kent Roadtech! Had to look it up, looks like a piece of work and they got you hook, line and sinker.
But if you do this right, you'll get away, with the bait.

Don't knock yourself out on it because you'll do more damage to your psyche than anything, and that's the foundation to getting anywhere in this. If the seat doesn't get to you, the frame size will in your knees. I'm betting it's not adjusted to your dimensions and can't be. I'm 6'1" and ride a 58 which is maxed out.

So ride it purely for the fun of human-powered motion. As you say, see if it clicks and if you are lucky enough to have some local expertise in a bike shop (not always a good experience) or riding group, seek them out for guidance and maybe leads to used bikes for sale.

One other thing that stands out about your post I thought I should comment on. Definitely learn how to true your wheels and get a spoke wrench and do it pronto. At your weight you're already stressing those poor things and if they're out of true you could be faced with a wheel failure in short order, most likely in spokes pulling out of the rims or spokes popping (breaking). Probably not catastrophic, but not a good thing either. The secret to wheel longevity is evenly tensioned spokes. Wheels that are out of true have unevenly tensioned spokes meaning some are taking more than their fair share. You may think that since you're returnung the beast in 2 months what's the worry... but if the spokes go out on the road, you'll be calling...someone for a ride, or carrying it home on your shoulder. Besides, understanding wheel construction and maintenance, I consider a basic survival skill. Attend to that asap!
Old 07-06-17, 10:53 AM
theK00L_AIDman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
Wow, Kent Roadtech! Had to look it up, looks like a piece of work and they got you hook, line and sinker.
But if you do this right, you'll get away, with the bait.

Don't knock yourself out on it because you'll do more damage to your psyche than anything, and that's the foundation to getting anywhere in this. If the seat doesn't get to you, the frame size will in your knees. I'm betting it's not adjusted to your dimensions and can't be. I'm 6'1" and ride a 58 which is maxed out.

So ride it purely for the fun of human-powered motion. As you say, see if it clicks and if you are lucky enough to have some local expertise in a bike shop (not always a good experience) or riding group, seek them out for guidance and maybe leads to used bikes for sale.

One other thing that stands out about your post I thought I should comment on. Definitely learn how to true your wheels and get a spoke wrench and do it pronto. At your weight you're already stressing those poor things and if they're out of true you could be faced with a wheel failure in short order, most likely in spokes pulling out of the rims or spokes popping (breaking). Probably not catastrophic, but not a good thing either. The secret to wheel longevity is evenly tensioned spokes. Wheels that are out of true have unevenly tensioned spokes meaning some are taking more than their fair share. You may think that since you're returnung the beast in 2 months what's the worry... but if the spokes go out on the road, you'll be calling...someone for a ride, or carrying it home on your shoulder. Besides, understanding wheel construction and maintenance, I consider a basic survival skill. Attend to that asap!
Hi ChuckD, thanks for the tips. Indeed right now I'm riding to learn what it's like to ride in this position, and on relatively skinny tires (they're 700x32 which I know is quite fat for a road bike, but compared to what I'm used to...they're skinny). One issue I'm having is that I have a big gut in front and my legs hit it when I pedal which is a bit uncomfortable and makes my legs have to work even harder. I'm going to assume some of this can be fixed with a proper fitting frame but some of it is also a more aggressive position. I don't even bother trying to go into the drops due to this.

I also took the bike to the closes LBS and after a good laugh but also encouragement that at least I'm trying to cycle at all, the owner let me borrow an extra spoke wrench with the promise that I'll return it next month when I come back to look at a real bike. He also showed me how to use it which combined with numerous youtube videos got me on the right track. The wheels are both as close to trued as I can get them. THey were actually not far off to begin with. The front was about 3mm off and the rear only 2mm, which isn't bad from what I understand. I have them both to within about 1-2mm now I think, though I can't be sure. I then went for a ride, the rear wheel gives off a rhythmic clicking sound and the front wheel makes a squeaking sound. I may have to make the call whether or not to upgrade to a real bike sooner rather than later.
Old 07-10-17, 01:56 AM
SniperP229

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update...
I found out my Trek 4300 was too tall for me so, I bought a Trek 6700 frameset and moved the needed parts over to it.
It fits much better and I have better confidence knowing I can put my feet down on the ground without ringing my bells. LOL.
Now, Having done that and talking to some people around here about riding at Sandy ridge and up off Mt. Hood and some other places...
I find the hard-tail isn't the bike for the kind of mountain bike riding I want/like to do.
I am in the process of selling off some other hobby equipment to buy a new 2016 Trek Fuel EX 8 or Remedy 8... not quite sure which yet. Gonna go look at my LBS in the morning..
Old 07-10-17, 03:55 AM
SniperP229

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Trek 6700 I just built.. now that I can post pics...

Old 07-10-17, 09:21 AM
Flanntastic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy here, currently 5'11 and 240lbs, was 350lbs till i hit the Keto Diet and started riding some.
Currently have a motobecane Jubilee Trail, but looking to buy a road bike.
Old 07-10-17, 08:15 PM
scottkursk
Eternal N00b

Bikes: Republic dutch city bike, TREK 4500,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Formerly 420 lb now 305 lb. I've got a Republic Dutch city bike and a TREK 4500 that I ride. I also play disc golf and went vegan in September to sluff off the 105. I've taken up riding again and my current goal is to do the BP MS 150 next year.

I've got 8 months to get ready!. I was training for it 150 years ago and got badly hurt and consequently put on a TON of wait. So, setting that as my goal is good. Ideally, I should be around 200 by the time of the 150.

Building up a road bike and plan to have it finished in the next month or so. Look forward bragging on what I'm building.
Old 07-10-17, 08:30 PM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In order to see if you like cycling, I think its great you started on a cheaper bike. I have a 400 dollar specialized commuter bike and its great!. I bought it last year. Maybe in a year or two i might upgrade.
Old 07-12-17, 01:34 PM
bigboardfun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intro

Hello I am getting back to cycling as a weight loss channel. I am 5'6" and 315 currently.

I have a trek 800 mtb with road tires. I am hoping to get it more road "worthy" as the road bike i see look like twigs that will snap under me.

I also have a worksman their chinese experiment version. I have had a real worksman but it was stolen. I alos have a Murray which I love it is comfort frame. I have outfitted it with worksman rims and big apple tires along with some quality bmx components.

I am hoping this Forum will be a wealth of support and knowledge.
Old 07-12-17, 06:57 PM
Mack3601

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disk, Genesis GS29

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'1" and currently weight 255 lbs.

Started riding my bicycle because of a bad knee. Found it was helpful for my diabetes. Also lost 30 lbs.

I am now off medication, my knee is great and still have a very long way to go with weight. Managing it through
1. Riding my bicycle 15-25 miles per day
2. Eating low carb, moderate protein, high fat (ketotalk.com)
3. Intermittent fasting (basically that means nothing but water and coffee after 7 PM and before 11 AM
Attached Images
Old 07-14-17, 03:36 PM
theK00L_AIDman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SniperP229
Here's my Trek 6700 I just built.. now that I can post pics...

Very nice! I just took up road biking and am loving it so far. If the fever holds I could certainly see myself giving MTB a try next summer.
Old 07-14-17, 10:38 PM
Longhorngary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Gary, I'm 6'3" and 273 pounds and just getting back into riding. My daughter has begun riding and I wanted to be able to go along with her on ride. Just picked up a '14 Trek 8.5 DS. Hopefully, it will be a nice blend between road bike and light off trail. Austin has a nice gravel bikeway system. Now if I could just get the heat below 100 degrees.
Old 07-18-17, 07:36 PM
70vdub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm Rob, I was suggested this forum from another forum.
I am 6'6" 335# so I guess I belong here... will be posting for help on finding a bike
I have no clue what to look for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.