Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 06:51 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lac29
From what I've read the Romisen RC-N3 CREE Q5 seems to be the best budget flashlight-turned-headlight.

However, I had a quick question about bike lighting in general ... is the general convention to have a headlight (in my case the Romisen) and a red blinky? Or do I need one more white blinky in the front? What's the "normal/typical" setup?
You need redundancy for one thing. A light on the bike and one on the helmet is not a bad idea. Additionally in the rear you should have the same....one on the helmet, one on the bike. For me it's a P7 up front on the bike with a Fenix on the helmet and a Superflash in back on the helmet with a Dinotte on the bike. One of the tail lights flashes and one is steady. In the front, both run steady, no blinking to confuse cagers.

btw, the Romisen would not be a bad choice for one of the lights.
Old 09-18-10, 04:23 PM
Dodgensince74

Bikes: "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought one of these, won't know for a while how good they really are.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09-18-10, 08:17 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
has anyone tried using one of these on there bike? i know it is not a bike light but it might work good.
Old 09-18-10, 09:13 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
has anyone tried using one of these on there bike? i know it is not a bike light but it might work good.
There's nothing wrong with adapting non-bike lights for bike use ... but that wouldn't make a very good headlight. It doesn't create a beam -- it just lights up the general area.

You could mount it on your downtube to light up the area under your front wheel to help you be seen -- but I'd suggest something with a beam for your headlight.
Old 09-19-10, 01:22 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dodgensince74
I just bought one of these, won't know for a while how good they really are.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
That's a suspiciously low price for a MagicShine light. I wonder what the catch is?
Old 09-19-10, 09:31 AM
Dodgensince74

Bikes: "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
That's a suspiciously low price for a MagicShine light. I wonder what the catch is?
I wondered the same thing, but I figured for the price and using my paypal to pay that it was worth checking out. I figured that I've wasted alot more in the past without knowing ahead of time what might happen. I did do the "make offer" route and got it for less then the "buy it now" price.
Old 09-19-10, 02:15 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dodgensince74
I wondered the same thing, but I figured for the price and using my paypal to pay that it was worth checking out. I figured that I've wasted alot more in the past without knowing ahead of time what might happen. I did do the "make offer" route and got it for less then the "buy it now" price.
Why not? $35 isn't really that much, and it's not like MagicShine is a totally unknown light. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-20-10, 06:33 AM
carlspeed

Bikes: '06 Giant TCR2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought that I had posted this here but I guess not. I got the planet bike super flash blaze set off ebay for $46 shipped and I love it. It's as bright as any thing else I've seen on the trail. Both blink, both are good units, and both can be removed if you want to simply use then as a hand held unit.
Old 09-20-10, 12:17 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with a Zefal set from Wal-Mart for under $ 20. Exceeds FL statutory requirements, Really only going to use it for those later PM rides, times I get caught a couple of miles from home after the sun has set. Or for the early AM rides and it's close enough for the sun to rise, yet hasn't, the 5 minute head start I call it. I think anyone riding in the middle of the night or well enough before and after sunrises & sunsets might be dealing with more drunk drivers ? My strategy for night riding, go slow, stay on sidewalks as much as possible, use side streets that are little to no traffic when possible too.
Old 09-28-10, 09:23 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
From what I've read the Romisen RC-N3 CREE Q5 seems to be the best budget flashlight-turned-headlight.

However, I had a quick question about bike lighting in general ... is the general convention to have a headlight (in my case the Romisen) and a red blinky? Or do I need one more white blinky in the front? What's the "normal/typical" setup?
My Romisen stopped working after about a year, and I don't mean a year of hard service.

On a lark, I picked up a 2-pack of something called TechLite Lumen Master at Costco for about $15. They're a bit short and stubby compared to the Romisen but just as bright and have several modes. No problems in at least 6 months.

Lately though I've been impressed with the Planet Bike Super Flash blaze set. The flashlights get more use walking the dog.
Old 09-28-10, 02:46 PM
gbiker

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I decided on. So far, so good, though I wish the center spot of the beam was bigger.

This is a great thread. I was looking at expensive bike lights at REI and underwhelming bike lights at LBSs before stumbling upon it.
Old 09-29-10, 05:16 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Based on the recommendations in this thread I ordered a set of flashlights, and blocks to hold them, from DX. I placed the order on the 11th of September, I got a notice that they were shipping ten days later, on the 21st. I received them yesterday, exactly one week after the notice of shipping, on the 28th.

I haven't used them at night yet; however, for all some complain about the shipping time form DX, I considered that very reasonable.
Old 09-29-10, 05:49 PM
gbiker

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered from Shining Beam and got my package two biz days later. Good customer service too.
Old 09-29-10, 11:00 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by due ruote
My Romisen stopped working after about a year, and I don't mean a year of hard service.

On a lark, I picked up a 2-pack of something called TechLite Lumen Master at Costco for about $15. They're a bit short and stubby compared to the Romisen but just as bright and have several modes. No problems in at least 6 months.

Lately though I've been impressed with the Planet Bike Super Flash blaze set. The flashlights get more use walking the dog.
Where did you buy it from? From my own experiences with Romisen I suspect that some China shops like DX are selling seconds or counterfeit lights. All the Romisen I had from DX, as well as a friend's light have died. The Romisen that I have from Shining Beam is of totally different quality, and works a charm.
Old 09-30-10, 08:19 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just put a set of these on my wife's bike: https://www.rei.com/product/808471

No comparison to brighter more serious lights, but these are plenty bright to get noticed at a distance, are ridiculously easy to install (in seconds, no tools) and small / light enough that you could stow them in your seat bag or jersey pocket if you didn't want to leave them on the bike.
Old 09-30-10, 09:22 PM
Mr. Embrey

Bikes: Poseidon X Ambition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Serfas USB 3 headlight. Before that I used a LED flashlight held on with the inner tube technique. Both work well.
Old 10-06-10, 07:05 AM
ZBoss

Bikes: 2008 Schwinn S60 DSX, 2010 Huffy Black Widow, 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
There's nothing wrong with adapting non-bike lights for bike use ... but that wouldn't make a very good headlight. It doesn't create a beam -- it just lights up the general area.

You could mount it on your downtube to light up the area under your front wheel to help you be seen -- but I'd suggest something with a beam for your headlight.
was going to ask if this worked well or not because I was looking for a bike light of some kind for a decent price...
Old 10-06-10, 02:37 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZBoss
was going to ask if this worked well or not because I was looking for a bike light of some kind for a decent price...
Well, what's your budget?

Taillights --

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35036 $3.54 taillight, good quality, great price. Really, at this price, as good as this light is, I'm hard pressed to suggest anything else unless you've got lots of money to spend.

Most of dealextreme's older bike lights are crap, but some of the ones they've added recently are good, and the ones I suggest are in the latter category.

As for headlights ...

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18307 $7.43 good quality, great price. Ideally, get rechargeable AAA batteries to go with it.

If you've got $55 to spend --

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16501 $36.21 light
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8274 $1.54 mount
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790 $8.18 two batteries
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251 $12.30 charger

If you've got $95 to spend, get the Magicshine 900 from Geomangear.

And if you've got some more money to spend and want to "bling" up your bike a bit and help it be seen from the side, get the Disco Spokelit for about $7. Around here, Academy carries them.

Last edited by dougmc; 10-06-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 07:21 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, what's your budget?

Taillights --

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35036 $3.54 taillight, good quality, great price. Really, at this price, as good as this light is, I'm hard pressed to suggest anything else unless you've got lots of money to spend.

snip
I have 3 of these DX blinkies, a PBSF, and a PDW Radbot 1k blinkie. I am *not* a fan of the DX blinkie.

The DX blinkies... you get what you pay for... cheapo mount, fairly bright light, very cheap construction.

The PBSF and the PDW Radbot 1k are both quality units. I am currently running the Radbot 1k and really like it.
Old 10-06-10, 08:10 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedlever
I have 3 of these DX blinkies, a PBSF, and a PDW Radbot 1k blinkie. I am *not* a fan of the DX blinkie.
Do you have the exact same blinkie I suggested? Some of the other DX lights are crap (as I already mentioned) but this one is pretty good. It's similar to the Planet Bike Superflash, but slightly inferior in construction. But 85% less in cost. It's not *that* cheap in construction.

I do put a rubber band around it to make sure it doesn't pop apart mid-ride -- but I do the same for my PBSF, as it has the same tendency to do so.

I've seen the Radbot. It looks excellent -- but it's like $30 rather than $3.54.

It all depends on your budget. More money will get you better stuff, but you can pretty decent stuff without spending a bunch of money.
Old 10-07-10, 05:33 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do you have the exact same blinkie I suggested? Some of the other DX lights are crap (as I already mentioned) but this one is pretty good. It's similar to the Planet Bike Superflash, but slightly inferior in construction. But 85% less in cost. It's not *that* cheap in construction.

I do put a rubber band around it to make sure it doesn't pop apart mid-ride -- but I do the same for my PBSF, as it has the same tendency to do so.

I've seen the Radbot. It looks excellent -- but it's like $30 rather than $3.54.

It all depends on your budget. More money will get you better stuff, but you can pretty decent stuff without spending a bunch of money.
Yep. That exact same one. Except that I bought 3 of them for 2.91/ea.

IMO, they are cheap and are borderline (being generous) junk. When you turn on the DX blinkie, the blinkie moves unless you support it just right because the mount is so poor. There are 2 positives associated with the DX blinkie.
1) it is cheap
2) it is reasonably bright (I don't know how long the batteries will run it)

You can find the Radbot 1k for about $20 online. It comes with two different types of mounts. I had to buy a separate mount from PB for my PBSF to mount to my tail light bracket. The Radbot 1k includes the same mount as part of the package.
$22.95 including shipping

After comparing, the price difference is more than justified. I've never had either the PBSF or the Radbot 1k come apart during a ride. I did have the PBSF come off my bike once when I hit a bump in the road.. but that was because I bumped it out of the locked position when cleaning the bike after the prior ride and I never re-secured it in the locked position.

I depend on the blinkie for safety when I ride at dusk. $20 difference is worth it to me for a much better quality product.
Old 10-11-10, 04:31 PM
lac29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbiker
That's what I decided on. So far, so good, though I wish the center spot of the beam was bigger.

This is a great thread. I was looking at expensive bike lights at REI and underwhelming bike lights at LBSs before stumbling upon it.
Are you using just one? I just bought two to try with the twofish lockblocks. I have high hopes for them.
Old 10-27-10, 10:41 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to take the next step with lighting and use 18650 batteries, I have found the Solarforce L2 with their recommended drop-in to be great.

The price for their flashlight shell (Host) is $13. I recommend this drop-in...$18 bucks, sheess, you can't go wrong..https://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Forc...In_p_3610.html

It has served me well over the last couple months. Puts out more light than my TerraLux and lasts longer too. Not dissing the Terralux - it does what its batteries allow it to do. The AA Terralux just can not compete with a 18650 assuming the same size light.

If you need spill, I would go with the Romisen RC-C8 II Q5. It is fantastic for 18650 batteries. It does not throw as well as the Solarforce...but, oh my, does it not put a good spill out there.
Old 11-05-10, 02:29 PM
Ferrino
Englishman in San Diego

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou sir! Just ordered this flashlight and rechargeable batteries! I'm new to this type of powerful battery and am wondering if there are any "gotchas" I should be aware of when recharging them (i.e. safety-wise)? Thanks!
Old 11-24-10, 12:20 PM
estcstm3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrino
Thankyou sir! Just ordered this flashlight and rechargeable batteries! I'm new to this type of powerful battery and am wondering if there are any "gotchas" I should be aware of when recharging them (i.e. safety-wise)? Thanks!
Light link is gone what was it? Im looking for a good rain resistant light thats not total junk I was leaning towards the Princeton eos tec 2 @ 70 lumens, but all of the deal extreme have me thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.