Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What should I do?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 12:10 PM
waanfiride
I Only Got One Ventricle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I do?

I live in a pretty rural place, and I have to commute to the city every morning... there is one road basically to get there, and as you can imagine it's often crowded and busy. One part of the road is a ~2 mile stretch that is very tight, narrow lanes, and not much of a shoulder at all. The speed limit is 35, but people regularly blow through there at 50+ I'm pretty new to road cycling in general, but I feel pretty good on roads- but I'm not sure if this is something that I want to try, because it could get real messy.

There is a sidewalk though, but there is a town ordinance (maybe it's more than just my town) that says that you can't bike on a side walk. So... what do you think I should do? Ride in the road, and maybe risk it (I feel that this road is WAY more risky than most) or ride on the sidewalk for that small stretch of it?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-10, 12:26 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone walk on the sidewalk? Are there many driveways and roads that cross the sidewalk for that 2 mile stretch?
Old 03-23-10, 12:27 PM
waanfiride
I Only Got One Ventricle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not a lot of walkers, maybe 1 or two if that. There are a few gas stations but that's it on that stretch.
Old 03-23-10, 01:15 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is the traffic looks one hour earlier. Is it less crowded. Sometime just changing the commute time can make a world of difference in the congestion.

Otherwise you may have to take the lane whenever needed and keep an sharp eye on your mirror such that if too many cars are behind you, then pull over to the sidewalk and get on it to wait for another opening in the traffic before hopping back into the street.
Old 03-23-10, 01:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I have a section like that.
I bought a Dinotte 140L Tail Light.
It does the job of warning traffic way back from the bike.

Old 03-23-10, 06:04 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Can you drive past the risky part, then find a place to park and ride the rest of the way?
Old 03-24-10, 03:04 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waanfiride
I live in a pretty rural place, and I have to commute to the city every morning... there is one road basically to get there, and as you can imagine it's often crowded and busy. One part of the road is a ~2 mile stretch that is very tight, narrow lanes, and not much of a shoulder at all. The speed limit is 35, but people regularly blow through there at 50+ I'm pretty new to road cycling in general, but I feel pretty good on roads- but I'm not sure if this is something that I want to try, because it could get real messy.

There is a sidewalk though, but there is a town ordinance (maybe it's more than just my town) that says that you can't bike on a side walk. So... what do you think I should do? Ride in the road, and maybe risk it (I feel that this road is WAY more risky than most) or ride on the sidewalk for that small stretch of it?

Thanks.

In the Vermont statutes, look at:

Title 23-Motor Vehicles
Chapter 13-Operation of Vehicles
Subchapter 12-Operation of Bicycles, Electric Personal Mobility Devices and Play Vehicles
1139-Riding on roadways and bicycle paths

(a) A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

That means, you are recommended to stay to the absolute right side BUT, only what is 'practicable'.

So ride on the sidewalk but, the majority of the time, ride on the road.
Old 03-24-10, 03:38 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
(a) A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

That means, you are recommended to stay to the absolute right side BUT, only what is 'practicable'.

So ride on the sidewalk but, the majority of the time, ride on the road.

Old 03-24-10, 04:11 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If your other options are either unpleasant and dangerous or illegal, as seems to be the case, why not walk the two miles on the sidewalk? At a walking speed of 4 mph it takes half an hour to do 2 miles and at 15 mph it takes 8 minutes to bike it, so walking versus biking only costs you 22 minutes. On one of my commuting routes (the shortest and fastest) I walk through two tunnels on a sidewalk for half a mile and it adds about eight minutes onto the trip versus riding, but I prefer to walk because it avoids being buzzed by buses going 50 mph in a dark tunnel. Here is a picture taken in the short break between the tunnels. If I'm not in a hurry I can always stop and admire the view that the cars are going too fast to appreciate.
Old 03-24-10, 04:35 AM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would ignore most of the advice that has been posted here, it's no good. You are much safer than you think you are, I ride the same type of roads daily, and have for years. You should take a League cycling course, like Road Skills 101. That will arm you with the knowledge you need. I would also recommend a mirror. Take the lane if you feel you are being passed unsafely. Riding on sidewalk is rarely safer than riding on road.
Old 03-24-10, 05:21 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Oh boy
Old 03-24-10, 05:51 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If there aren't many homes or sides streets in that 2-mile stretch, then I see no harm in riding the sidewalk. Generally speaking, riding on sidewalks is more dangerous than riding on roads because people pulling out of (or into) driveways and side streets often don't notice you. However, there are always exceptions to the rule, and this may be one of them. There are a couple of areas in my commute where I sometimes ride the sidewalk to avoid having to cross a very busy 4-lane road, and taking the sidewalk will get me to a traffic signal where I can cross much safer.

As others mentioned, you would be safer on the road if you invested in a very bright tail-like, like Dinotte, and wore a neon yellow-green vest/jacket/jersey.
Old 03-24-10, 06:06 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride where you feel comfortable and safe. Period.

I ride on roads like that daily...but that doesn't mean that you have to.
But if you do, ride predictably, courteously, share the lane if there is room, otherwise position yourself so that drivers have no doubt that they have to cross into the oncoming lane to pass you, if traffic piles up behind you, hop on the sidewalk or pull off in one of those gas stations for a bit to let the log jam clear. Finally, make yourself plenty visible with both active lighting, passive reflectivity and bright colored clothing.

Most importantly, plan for Murphy by expecting the other people to do the stupidest thing possible...and plan your actions accordingly.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey