Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How far have you ridden your Hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

How far have you ridden your Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 10:19 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
If one is not touring, ie., actually being on a long distance multi-day tour, why all the fascination with distance ? Is there a logical point. To each his own, and I understand that fully, but in my case I would rather do smaller stints of 20 miles or less, usually less. More than that becomes much like drudgery to me. And at that point the fun is gone. Ergo, no long(er) trips for me.
20 miles! Congrats!
Old 11-12-10, 11:33 PM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
20 miles! Congrats!
Thanks ... and bye.
Old 11-13-10, 05:32 PM
mcjdeftones

Bikes: Trek Fast Track 470

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a little over 20 miles on the Silver Comet Trail at about a 13 mph pace. Trek 7.2 FX with just plain old foot cages.
Old 11-13-10, 06:21 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i rode my hybrid in the los altos hills for 15 miles about, my bike computer fell off toward the end, i am going to replace it with another one.
Old 11-13-10, 09:41 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Anything over about 35 miles r/t seems to be the limit for my front-shocked fuji crosstown. I don't think I could do a century without drop bars-- at least, I wouldn't enjoy it. And that's the whole point, right?
Old 11-13-10, 11:52 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Anything over about 35 miles r/t seems to be the limit for my front-shocked fuji crosstown. I don't think I could do a century without drop bars-- at least, I wouldn't enjoy it. And that's the whole point, right?
That is sort of ( loaded question ), I am not sure a Marathon Runner always enjoys running one. But
finishing is another thing ! ( As with many other sports ), Getting there may not always be ( comfortable ),
it is the overall satisfaction that you did it in the end that may count. Richard : )
Old 11-14-10, 08:15 AM
linkpin
linkpin

Bikes: jamis allegro ,Trek 4series,Raliegh sport, 1985 centurion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45 miles in the city in august , on my jamis allegro. Have put almost 2000 miles on this bike since June 15. City and trail miles. Other than a loose bottom bracket when new, the bike has been trouble free. No flats and made no adjustments. It's a 2010.
Old 11-16-10, 12:21 AM
Firegram

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last weekend I hauled out to Rockaway Beach from downtown Brooklyn. The ride was hard when I had to negotiate with traffic and terrific when I hit the Belt Parkway. I thought I was going to do a longer loop (53 miles) but decided to cut it down to 43 miles because I still needed to deal with Brooklyn traffic on my way back. Not to mention night riding and fatigue.

The payoff was hanging out at Rockaway Beach around sunset and munching, refueling and just taking in the vast ocean. The endless waves crashing on the seashore erased everything instantaneously! Living in Brooklyn and riding to Manhattan can be a cluster craze commute and for the most part having to anticipate every possible stupid move everyone is constantly making. Including bikers riding down the wrong way.

The beach was mostly desolate except for a few diehards. One group was actually sunbathing and staying warm with what it looked like a nice picnic spread.

I have been reading the threads and it sounds like there are a variety of riders putting on a whole range of miles with their hybrid bike. The hybrid is a good bike to beat around the city and take for short 30 to 50 miles rides. But what might be short for me is a long distance for someone else. But suffering does play an important role in riding and as much as I hate to say it but that threshold is always a little further then what I think it is. On the other hand, anything more then 50 miles and over several days may require a touring bike.

Although I recently started reading It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong and Sally Jenkins. Then when I’m finished with that book I will flip to the other side of the coin and read, It's All About the Bike by Robert Penn.

Best.
Firegram

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=12&lci=bike
Old 11-16-10, 12:26 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
so far i have at least 1270 miles on my hybrid bike, and had it for 5 months.
Old 11-17-10, 07:39 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

NOT FAR ENOUGH YET ! Richard : )
Old 11-19-10, 07:12 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Firegram
Last weekend I hauled out to Rockaway Beach from downtown Brooklyn. The ride was hard when I had to negotiate with traffic and terrific when I hit the Belt Parkway. I thought I was going to do a longer loop (53 miles) but decided to cut it down to 43 miles because I still needed to deal with Brooklyn traffic on my way back. Not to mention night riding and fatigue.

The payoff was hanging out at Rockaway Beach around sunset and munching, refueling and just taking in the vast ocean. The endless waves crashing on the seashore erased everything instantaneously! Living in Brooklyn and riding to Manhattan can be a cluster craze commute and for the most part having to anticipate every possible stupid move everyone is constantly making. Including bikers riding down the wrong way.

The beach was mostly desolate except for a few diehards. One group was actually sunbathing and staying warm with what it looked like a nice picnic spread.

I have been reading the threads and it sounds like there are a variety of riders putting on a whole range of miles with their hybrid bike. The hybrid is a good bike to beat around the city and take for short 30 to 50 miles rides. But what might be short for me is a long distance for someone else. But suffering does play an important role in riding and as much as I hate to say it but that threshold is always a little further then what I think it is. On the other hand, anything more then 50 miles and over several days may require a touring bike.

Although I recently started reading It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong and Sally Jenkins. Then when I’m finished with that book I will flip to the other side of the coin and read, It's All About the Bike by Robert Penn.

Best.
Firegram

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=12&lci=bike
Nice ride report. Sunbathing at sunset? Diehards indeed.
Old 11-23-10, 08:47 PM
zoink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my longest ride just yesterday, 55 miles. have put almost 800 miles on the bike since the 2nd week in Oct. when I picked it up :].
Old 11-23-10, 09:33 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by zoink
Did my longest ride just yesterday, 55 miles. have put almost 800 miles on the bike since the 2nd week in Oct. when I picked it up :].
( WOW ) ! Awesome riding ...Richard
Old 11-23-10, 09:47 PM
zoink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I love it. Wish I had gotten a bike years ago, fortunately I'm still starting pretty early (22) :].

Last edited by zoink; 11-23-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 10:01 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased my first real bike, a Schwinn Sierra GS, about six weeks ago. I am up to riding 15 miles at a time, max. The rest of my body is ready for more, but I need a better seat than the "Schwinn Comfort Tuned" saddle that came on the bike. I get pressure pains on my butt because the saddle is too soft. My wife tells me it is too close to Christmas to buy anything for myself (such as a better saddle), so I am settling with 15 mile rides. It just means I get out and ride more often.

I hope to buy my son a better bike soon, when the LBS around the corner moves to their new location and clears out their inventory. Then I will have a riding partner in the spring.
Old 11-26-10, 05:41 PM
ssmiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The farthest in a year, 4000km, the farthest in one day, 138km.
Old 01-02-11, 11:41 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The farthest I've ridden my 2003 Giant Cypress DX without getting at least one flat tire is 78 miles.

I've given up on replacing the tubes and rim strips, saving up for a new set of rims.
Old 01-03-11, 08:02 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single day - 102 miles (NY Century)
Total - I've been riding the same bike for about 20 years, so it is well over 20,000 miles.
Old 01-03-11, 10:08 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Firegram
All in all about 45 miles.
I did about the same the Saturday before Christmas on mostly stone roads outside Sanger, Texas.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-03-11, 09:39 PM
hsh101

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek 7.3FX, Trek 4.7 Madone, Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually putting in ~ 30-40 miles per trip on my 7.3FX... it's often hard to find time to go for a longer ride. But,

Longest single ride = 72 miles (rail-trail, flat)

most challenging ride = 65 miles (4700' total vertical)
Old 01-03-11, 10:44 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
0 miles. Still haven't gotten my bike. Grrr.

I got a hybrid but I envision doing 50+ mile rides regularly. I want to be able to rock out hills and turn my legs into machines this year. I want to be the guy doing centuries on a hybrid.
Old 02-23-11, 10:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I did about the same the Saturday before Christmas on mostly stone roads outside Sanger, Texas.
Same bike, with some updates, did 52 miles on it earlier this month.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
r15.jpg (92.3 KB, 329 views)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-24-11, 12:00 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Specialized Sirrus unknown model (bought used) and a 2010 Trek 7000 WSD. Once a week I take the Trek about 40 miles round trip on a ride with some rolling hills. The Specialized has been on a couple shorter climbing rides with longer hills, but it needs a bigger cassette. The largest rear cog is only a 24. When I bought it it had a rear road wheel with a 700x28, and the stock hybrid wheel in front with a 700x35. I replaced the front wheel with a road wheel and 700x28 tire. That thing is FAST!
Old 06-05-11, 10:01 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The heat today almost knocked me out but I drank a lot of Gatorade and took a long rest at the last stop so I completed the McHenry County (IL) Udder Century. That makes my longest ride 101.22 miles.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
UdderCenturyOdometer.jpg (99.9 KB, 288 views)
Old 09-09-19, 04:57 PM
ssmiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just came back across this. My farthest on one day hasn't increased much, 142km now. But my farthest in a year is now 8500 km and my average is 8000+ km

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.