Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going to purchase a new road bike. Advice & opinions welcomed!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 08:46 AM
rcracin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Looks like a fun forum thus far although I've only ventured into the road cycling sub forum.

I bought a Trek 8.5ds about 6 weeks ago. Totally bought a bike too big for me and I find that I'm only riding on the road and I want to go faster and ride longer distances. As such, I'm looking for a road bike!

My only real dilemma now is that I have a bad habit of wanting to buy the best things whether I can afford it or not, but it isn't always a good idea to do so. Doing some research, I'm strongly considering the following bike:

Cannondale CAAD 10 105 - Seems like a quality aluminum frame and the 105 components will be good enough. Looks like I can pick up a new one for about $1500.

Any opinions on other bikes around the same price range with potentially better components? I considered the Supersix 105, but I don't want a bottom of the line carbon frame.

My reason for purchasing new is that I'll get free tune ups for 3-4 years at my LBS. I'm great with working with my hands and have built a lot of cars in the past, but I just don't have the time to be tinkering. I'd rather just stop by the shop when I'm going out for a ride and have them make sure everything looks good.

Right now, I can do a 35-40 mile ride max on my 8.5ds until my knees are aching and I'm fully exhausted. I'm hoping a lighter road bike will allow me to be less exhausted on the same ride and I want to be able to comfortably ride 60 miles in about a month from now. My last 35 mile ride included riding from Queens NY, across the 59th street bridge, around the central park loop 3 times, then back home.

Any and all insight is appreciated! Thanks
Old 06-18-13, 08:55 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the caad10 is a great bike. I had one and it rides just as good as my carbon bike.
Free tune ups are great, but learn to do it yourself. It's much quicker to do some quick tune-ups than let wait for the guys at the shop to do it.
Old 06-18-13, 09:06 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving cycling. Great stress reliever and I'm hoping it helps with the beer gut. I imagine I'll be able to do a tune up myself quite easily. I'm the kind of guy that buys a new car and less than a year I'm pulling the engine out for one reason or another.
Old 06-18-13, 09:08 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My reason for purchasing new is that I'll get free tune ups for 3-4 years at my LBS. I'm great with working with my hands and have built a lot of cars in the past, but I just don't have the time to be tinkering. I'd rather just stop by the shop when I'm going out for a ride and have them make sure everything looks good.
If you can build a car, you can fix a bike. The cables all have barrel adjusters on them for fine-tuning the shifting and the braking. Fiddling with the adjusters is the only thing your shop will do (probably...) on a "free tune up". There are numerous YouTube videos and internet how-to guides regarding all aspects of bike maintenance.

Once the bike's cables are "dialed in", then bikes need very little maintenance other than keeping the chain well lubricated.
Old 06-18-13, 09:11 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hard to go wrong with a CAAD10, just for your own edification it would be worth while to try a Specialized Allez Comp as well and a Trek 2.x since they are all 105 components. unlikely you'd be disappointed with any of them, pick the one that twists your knobs the hardest!!
Old 06-18-13, 09:11 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
If you can build a car, you can fix a bike. The cables all have barrel adjusters on them for fine-tuning the shifting and the braking. Fiddling with the adjusters is the only thing your shop will do (probably...) on a "free tune up". There are numerous YouTube videos and internet how-to guides regarding all aspects of bike maintenance.

Once the bike's cables are "dialed in", then bikes need very little maintenance other than keeping the chain well lubricated.
That sounds reasonable.

Does anyone know if the 2012 CAAD 10 105 is any different from the 2013? If maintaining the bike isn't that big of a deal, that opens me up to the used market.
Old 06-18-13, 09:19 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcracin
Right now, I can do a 35-40 mile ride max on my 8.5ds until my knees are aching and I'm fully exhausted. I'm hoping a lighter road bike will allow me to be less exhausted on the same ride and I want to be able to comfortably ride 60 miles in about a month from now. My last 35 mile ride included riding from Queens NY, across the 59th street bridge, around the central park loop 3 times, then back home.

Any and all insight is appreciated! Thanks
There's a thread going on now about cadence that may help regarding the knees issue. I have a Specialized Allez Comp that I love, but it came with Apex components not 105.
Old 06-18-13, 09:22 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by danmc
There's a thread going on now about cadence that may help regarding the knees issue. I have a Specialized Allez Comp that I love, but it came with Apex components not 105.
the current comp is available with either iirc, there is an Apex and a 105 model with the E5 frame.
Old 06-18-13, 09:23 AM
danmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as maintenance goes, I'm a total mechically-inept idiot, but I bought a bike stand and basic tools and did all of the adjustments on the bike myself last year and didn't bring it in to the LBS once. Of course, I just dropped it off this morning to have the bearings replaced on the rear tire, which is something I could probably do myself but would rather pay them to do. Stuff like adjusting the derailleurs and brakes, changing cables, is something you should be able to do yourself easily. Do you really want to have to wait for and pay an LBS to do something simple like adjusting your derailleur?
Old 06-18-13, 09:24 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Link to that thread? I understand the concept and I stumbled across it while riding recently, making changes to how I was approching inclines. I still need to ride more so I can learn and find what is most comfortable for me. I'd like to be doing it on a proper bike. A lighter, more suitable bike to better fit my needs.
Old 06-18-13, 09:25 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the road cycling community! You'll have a blast and lose that beer gut you mentioned! Anyway, getting back on topic, that's a great bike, but you may actually find an entry level carbon with 105 at that price or even cheaper with a last year model. Here are some examples, my local bike shop offered a full carbon Fuji with 105(forgot the model) for $1600 and Strictly, located right across the George Washington Bridge on the Jersey side, was offering a Felt Z4 for $1100. So, just shop around and take your time. Just go test ride a few and find out what you like, just like a car .

Like everyone mention, learn to do the maintenance on your own, it'll be much faster.

By the way, I'm also from the NYC too, from Brooklyn here. Maybe you can hit me up once you get your bike, we can ride together. Also, there's much better routes for riding than the one you mention. For example the LIE service road(more flat and rolling terrain) and 9W(more hills). Those two routes that I mention are very popular cycling routes in NYC.
Old 06-18-13, 09:27 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as maintenance goes, I'm a total mechically-inept idiot, but I bought a bike stand and basic tools and did all of the adjustments on the bike myself last year and didn't bring it in to the LBS once. Of course, I just dropped it off this morning to have the bearings replaced on the rear tire, which is something I could probably do myself but would rather pay them to do. Stuff like adjusting the derailleurs and brakes, changing cables, is something you should be able to do yourself easily. Do you really want to have to wait for and pay an LBS to do something simple like adjusting your derailleur?
LOL nope, I hate paying when I can do stuff myself. However, transitioning to working life after college in the last 2 years has been quite difficult for me. I went from building cars and doing anything I wanted to realizing I can't do nearly as much stuff with limited time. Still trying to tie up loose ends and get things done to settle down.
Old 06-18-13, 09:29 AM
danmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Link to that thread? I understand the concept and I stumbled across it while riding recently, making changes to how I was approching inclines. I still need to ride more so I can learn and find what is most comfortable for me. I'd like to be doing it on a proper bike. A lighter, more suitable bike to better fit my needs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nce-revelation
Old 06-18-13, 09:31 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL nope, I hate paying when I can do stuff myself. However, transitioning to working life after college in the last 2 years has been quite difficult for me. I went from building cars and doing anything I wanted to realizing I can't do nearly as much stuff with limited time. Still trying to tie up loose ends and get things done to settle down.
that gets worse as you get older, so get used to it LOL
Old 06-18-13, 09:33 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024
Welcome to the road cycling community! You'll have a blast and lose that beer gut you mentioned! Anyway, getting back on topic, that's a great bike, but you may actually find an entry level carbon with 105 at that price or even cheaper with a last year model. Here are some examples, my local bike shop offered a full carbon Fuji with 105(forgot the model) for $1600 and Strictly, located right across the George Washington Bridge on the Jersey side, was offering a Felt Z4 for $1100. So, just shop around and take your time. Just go test ride a few and find out what you like, just like a car .

Like everyone mention, learn to do the maintenance on your own, it'll be much faster.

By the way, I'm also from the NYC too, from Brooklyn here. Maybe you can hit me up once you get your bike, we can ride together. Also, there's much better routes for riding than the one you mention. For example the LIE service road(more flat and rolling terrain) and 9W(more hills). Those two routes that I mention are very popular cycling routes in NYC.
Thanks! One thing I've been enjoying is that I ride from my house and then return home. I don't have a bike rack for my car yet. I ride all around Astoria and Long Island City. I'm working my way up to do much longer rides.
Old 06-18-13, 09:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I considered the Supersix 105, but I don't want a bottom of the line carbon frame.
Don't dismiss that Supersix - I would hardly call it a "bottom of the line carbon frame," - it's not like carbon is an immature technology and C'dale isn't exactly a n00b, either. Keep in mind that NYC roads can be just a wee bit choppy and those bumps can contribute to your overall fatigue on the longer rides that you want to do - frame compliance and bigger tires/wider rims are a couple of things that can help.
Old 06-18-13, 09:38 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
that gets worse as you get older, so get used to it LOL
Man dont tell me that!!! Ugh it sucks so bad. Work, apartment rennovation, side work, car hobby, maintaining parents' building, girlfriend, friends, & now cycling. I've already accepted that I can only get 6hrs of sleep a night! Not sure I can do less.
Old 06-18-13, 09:42 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another possibility, but I'm skeptical about it. I like good deals, but this is something important to me and I want a proper fitting bike.

I will get proper fitting when I purchase a new bike. On a Cannondale, I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortable on a 53-54 size bike. I did some rough measurements and used an online calculator that I found on another thread here.

My buddy has a 2012 Supersix Evo with ultegra components. It's a 56 frame. I straddled the bike and there's almost no room from the top of the frame to my body. That was how I was able to gauge between my online measurements and straddling the 56, that I'm likely a 53-54. He's offering me a sweet deal on that Supersix Evo, but I'm thinking I should pass and go with a lower end bike that will fit better. Any opinions on this?
Old 06-18-13, 09:47 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's another possibility, but I'm skeptical about it. I like good deals, but this is something important to me and I want a proper fitting bike.

I will get proper fitting when I purchase a new bike. On a Cannondale, I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortable on a 53-54 size bike. I did some rough measurements and used an online calculator that I found on another thread here.

My buddy has a 2012 Supersix Evo with ultegra components. It's a 56 frame. I straddled the bike and there's almost no room from the top of the frame to my body. That was how I was able to gauge between my online measurements and straddling the 56, that I'm likely a 53-54. He's offering me a sweet deal on that Supersix Evo, but I'm thinking I should pass and go with a lower end bike that will fit better. Any opinions on this?
Buying a bike that doesn't fit is a good idea if you like having a paperweight that you can easily roll from pile to pile. Actually riding it? Not such a good idea.
Old 06-18-13, 09:49 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Don't dismiss that Supersix - I would hardly call it a "bottom of the line carbon frame," - it's not like carbon is an immature technology and C'dale isn't exactly a n00b, either. Keep in mind that NYC roads can be just a wee bit choppy and those bumps can contribute to your overall fatigue on the longer rides that you want to do - frame compliance and bigger tires/wider rims are a couple of things that can help.
this. it wasn't very long ago that the very frame on the S6 105 was winning stages on the TdF. it is an EXCELLENT frame.
Old 06-18-13, 09:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Stand-over height is only important so long as you don't crunch your junk, once that minimum requirement has been met, it's no longer important. If the 56 fits your torso, go for it.
Old 06-18-13, 09:54 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! One thing I've been enjoying is that I ride from my house and then return home. I don't have a bike rack for my car yet. I ride all around Astoria and Long Island City. I'm working my way up to do much longer rides.
If you can't ride to the location, subway is always an alternative. Since you have a car, just take off the front & back wheel, then stuff it in the trunk or back seat if you don't want to get a rack yet. Depending on where you live in Queens, you can actually get to the LIE Service road easily. Most people start that route at the park near exit 32 on the LIE east bound. The 9W route starts right on the Jersey side of the GWB.
Old 06-18-13, 10:03 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
Buying a bike that doesn't fit is a good idea if you like having a paperweight that you can easily roll from pile to pile. Actually riding it? Not such a good idea.
This is my reasoning for being doubtful.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Stand-over height is only important so long as you don't crunch your junk, once that minimum requirement has been met, it's no longer important. If the 56 fits your torso, go for it.
This is my reasoning to take that 56 bike and get properly fitted on it to see if it works, then ride it around to see if I'm comfortable.

Originally Posted by MNX1024
If you can't ride to the location, subway is always an alternative. Since you have a car, just take off the front & back wheel, then stuff it in the trunk or back seat if you don't want to get a rack yet. Depending on where you live in Queens, you can actually get to the LIE Service road easily. Most people start that route at the park near exit 32 on the LIE east bound. The 9W route starts right on the Jersey side of the GWB.
I'm in East Elmhurst. I'll look into that route possibly this weekend.
Old 06-19-13, 03:04 PM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a local deal on a 2011 CAAD 10 105 for $850. Going to see it tonight!
Old 06-20-13, 05:53 AM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a local deal on a 2011 CAAD 10 105 for $850. Going to see it tonight!

Sounds good mate - they are a fantastic rig!

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.