Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 01:55 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not hard, I've done it twice. One with a nice BB hole the other without anything down there. Do you have holes for derailleurs and battery if applicable? Typically there's something usable if the cables went through the frame, or even the bolt hole for cable guides.
Old 04-13-16, 02:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'm trying to pack two TT bikes in a Tri-All-3 Box. Not easy. Some headsets don't turn 90 degrees.
Old 04-13-16, 02:06 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Not hard, I've done it twice. One with a nice BB hole the other without anything down there. Do you have holes for derailleurs and battery if applicable? Typically there's something usable if the cables went through the frame, or even the bolt hole for cable guides.
Bike is a Scott Foil and has a cable guides in the BB, which i presume i can use for FD? For the RD, i may as well run it outside along the chainstay.

I recently realized that one can run a 36t cassette using a Shimano mid cage, which would be quite nice for all my needs.
Old 04-13-16, 02:49 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many internal bikes have two holes for the FD cable so one for battery and one for FD wire. Most older carbon bikes had open chain stays so you could run a wire through there. Did yours run the shifter cable through there?
Old 04-13-16, 03:16 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I'm trying to pack two TT bikes in a Tri-All-3 Box. Not easy. Some headsets don't turn 90 degrees.
Bigger hammer?

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-13-16, 03:37 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Bigger hammer?
More foam.
Old 04-14-16, 01:55 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Many internal bikes have two holes for the FD cable so one for battery and one for FD wire. Most older carbon bikes had open chain stays so you could run a wire through there. Did yours run the shifter cable through there?
Currently yes, a shifter cable through the chainstay, though i'll have to look to see how wide the port is. Battery would most likely be internal to preempt issues there. Only remaining issue is whether i should go with 11-speed as it would require a new hub and a new freehub body
Old 04-14-16, 03:03 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Currently yes, a shifter cable through the chainstay, though i'll have to look to see how wide the port is. Battery would most likely be internal to preempt issues there. Only remaining issue is whether i should go with 11-speed as it would require a new hub and a new freehub body
You will need a hole up front for the downtube wire to A junction, a hole on the chainstay for the RD, and some way to get the internal B junction into the downtube. If your bike has a solid internal BB shell that can be challenging without the proper hole. It's in the 12mm-15mm range (don't make me measure my Felt).
Old 04-14-16, 03:37 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can stuff the junction in the down tube by taking the fork out. Just have to run guides into the frame from below. The e tube wire is the same diameter as a cable ferrule so you'll have to drill out the stop or make a new hole. Resale is toast either way so just drill out the cable stop on the end of the chain stay. I can elaborate if needed.

I wouldn't purchase 10s di2 components at this point. Obsolete and getting more expensive to source than 11s gear. What wheels do you have?
Old 04-14-16, 03:56 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey I just remembered I have a whole 7970 (1st gen 10 speed external battery di2) group here. It is orphaned technology, it's been crashed, and I haven't even looked at it since I took it off the broken bike. I know that's quite the endorsement but @echappist if you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping which would probably be like $20 tops. If any of it turns out to be useable you can send me a bottle of bourbon or something.
Old 04-14-16, 04:06 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well damn. That's quite the offer. I'd be interested for mtb/hacking if you aren't. I have a busted 6770 RD to play with.
Old 04-14-16, 05:40 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by shovelhd
You will need a hole up front for the downtube wire to A junction, a hole on the chainstay for the RD, and some way to get the internal B junction into the downtube. If your bike has a solid internal BB shell that can be challenging without the proper hole. It's in the 12mm-15mm range (don't make me measure my Felt).
thanks for the info
You can stuff the junction in the down tube by taking the fork out. Just have to run guides into the frame from below. The e tube wire is the same diameter as a cable ferrule so you'll have to drill out the stop or make a new hole. Resale is toast either way so just drill out the cable stop on the end of the chain stay. I can elaborate if needed.

I wouldn't purchase 10s di2 components at this point. Obsolete and getting more expensive to source than 11s gear. What wheels do you have?
yikes, looks like a lot of work. i may just hold off a bit in this case. THanks for the advice re: 11s.

As for my own wheel, a CK R45 needs to be converted (I think the cost is in the $200 range), and my 303 rear doesn't do 10 speed.

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Hey I just remembered I have a whole 7970 (1st gen 10 speed external battery di2) group here. It is orphaned technology, it's been crashed, and I haven't even looked at it since I took it off the broken bike. I know that's quite the endorsement but @echappist if you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping which would probably be like $20 tops. If any of it turns out to be useable you can send me a bottle of bourbon or something.
Thanks for the offer, but i'll pass for the moment, especially since it seems that my idea would require quite a bit of frame modifications
Old 04-15-16, 06:43 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
hey i just remembered i have a whole 7970 (1st gen 10 speed external battery di2) group here. It is orphaned technology, it's been crashed, and i haven't even looked at it since i took it off the broken bike. I know that's quite the endorsement but @echappist if you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping which would probably be like $20 tops. If any of it turns out to be useable you can send me a bottle of bourbon or something.
Old 04-15-16, 07:07 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That stuff will sell on ST. I still get inquiries about my 7970 stuff I sold over a year ago. The STI's are almost worthless but the derailleurs and wiring are still in demand.
Old 04-15-16, 07:09 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
That stuff will sell on ST. I still get inquiries about my 7970 stuff I sold over a year ago.

I did pull it out of the crate to look at it again. One shifter and the RD are scuffed up from the crash but it all looks more or less intact. I just hate to sell stuff that has been crashed, and I don't really want to set it all up again to verify that it's working properly.
Old 04-15-16, 07:12 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did pull it out of the crate to look at it again. One shifter and the RD are scuffed up from the crash but it all looks more or less intact. I just hate to sell stuff that has been crashed, and I don't really want to set it all up again to verify that it's working properly.
I'd be happy to give it a whirl, and send you a goody box of parts and beverage in exchange.
Old 04-15-16, 07:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
If you want to extend the offer you made to Chappy my way, I'll take it off your hands.
Old 04-15-16, 07:15 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems I opened up a can of charity worms
Old 04-15-16, 07:16 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha don't feel committed to giving stuff away, sell it if you want.
Old 04-15-16, 07:18 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Forget the Di2, I'll take the can of worms if nobody else wants them.
Old 04-15-16, 08:28 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
If im using the friction shifting on my TT bike (I almost never set them to indexed), is there anything preventing me from using an 11 speed wheel with the 10 speed shifters? Eventually I want to get some aero wheels for my caad12, and it would be pretty awesome if I could also use the rear on the TT bike...anyone try this?
Old 04-15-16, 09:01 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
If im using the friction shifting on my TT bike (I almost never set them to indexed), is there anything preventing me from using an 11 speed wheel with the 10 speed shifters? Eventually I want to get some aero wheels for my caad12, and it would be pretty awesome if I could also use the rear on the TT bike...anyone try this?
Just a new 11s chain, and extra fiddliness.
Old 04-21-16, 05:19 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the hardest time finding shoes that fit my wide feet. Bontragers used to fit but they changed their design a few years ago and they don't fit any more. Specialized and Sidi wide sizes are not wide enough. The last week I have been wearing out the UPS guy by mail ordering just about every shoe in the world and returning it. I finally got a pair of Lake wide shoes. They are expensive, even though they are two levels below the top Lake shoe which is probably the most expensive shoe ever. But holy cow are these nice shoes, like the holy grail of shoes.
Old 04-21-16, 06:54 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Shoes are a PITA. Took me a loooong time to get good ones - I have low arches, high mobility (basically my feet are loose-ligamented and really floppy), long toes and low volume feet. For me the Specialized shoes are working out very well, though I should probably change out the footbeds at some point. I just hope they keep making shoes that work for me, cause hunting for good ones sucks.
Old 04-21-16, 07:06 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I found a pair of shoes I liked back in the day (in my bin of shoes). The two things were the upper is super adjustable and super tighten-able (three straps, one goes around the back of the heel). It's also super light.

Finally it's a modular shoe, meaning the sole is carbon/kevlar and can be removed, leaving the shell of the shoe intact. The thing I didn't like about the shoes was that the sole wasn't quite right, was too flat. I stuck the insoles I use in there but they make the sole just a bit too thick for the shell, it doesn't quite work. Now I'm thinking that maybe I'll cut up an old Sidi shoe, which I love, make a (slightly thinner) mold with my insole, which I love, and insert said new sole into the shoe I like.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.