Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Old 05-03-20, 08:33 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I have my wife as my emergency contact (whom they can call without unlocking) and also carry my license and her phone number in my pocket as well as another copy in my saddle bag.
Same...

i have a old driver's license (not valid for driving but good for ID) with contacts on the back and I keep it with my cell in a ziplock bag in my center pocket. I also wear a RoadID on my ankle with a safety green band with my contact info.
Old 05-03-20, 08:54 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Put a pair of nitrile gloves and a couple of cotton balls in the seat bag. The gloves are great for any repair on the road so you don't get the bars/hoods all nasty from chain grease afterwards....
Same here. I also carry a couple of packaged alcohol wipes. They're great for a final washing of the hands whether that's after a roadside repair or a public restroom without a working sink and soap.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-03-20, 12:39 PM
jgrebed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Price of wife's bike

Your wifes bike should cost twice what yours does up until her bike costs $2000. This will make her want to go.cycling and her bike will fly up hills, have.less mechanical failure s etc. She will want to ride more when she has the good bike and you have the crrappy cheap one.
Likes For jgrebed:
Old 05-03-20, 03:55 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
The carrier that Shimano cassettes come packed on also serves as a speed loader to remove/install the cassette on the freehub body.

Remove the lock ring and smallest cog, align the wide spline on the carrier with the wide spline on the freehub body, slip the cassette off the freehub body onto the carrier as a single unit. Reverse to install cassette on the freehub body.

Likes For August West:
Old 05-03-20, 04:06 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
All Shimano rear derailleurs that are 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed have the same amount of pull, and so are interchangeable. So there is no such thing as, for example, a "7 speed Shimano rear derailleur" all of them pull the same amount of cable per shift. There is a rare proprietary 8 speed Dura Ace shifter/rear derailluer combination, but I have never run into it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-03-20, 04:09 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
If you have a Di2 bike w/D-fly BT and Garmin computer (not sure about other brands) the Garmin with show you the position of the derailleur when fine tuning the shifting.

Old 05-03-20, 06:12 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
All Shimano rear derailleurs that are 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed have the same amount of pull, and so are interchangeable. So there is no such thing as, for example, a "7 speed Shimano rear derailleur" all of them pull the same amount of cable per shift....
Isn't Tiagra 4700 the exception to that rule? It's 10 speed but doesn't use the previously standard pull.
Old 05-04-20, 11:25 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
After riding near glass or even shardy looking grit, I reach down with my hand and briefly brush off the front and rear tires. This loosens any sharps before they get into the tread and, I believe, reduces the risk of flat tires. The down side is you may wear out your glove or even slightly injure your hand (if you use direct skin contact) but for me it's worthwhile.
I use the toe of my shoe for that. So far, I have never run over my foot with the back tire.
Old 05-04-20, 11:38 AM
79roncooper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
When I come up to a stop sign that I want to actually be completely legal at (eg: cops may be in the vicinity) I'll slow way down and stand up and lean back a bit, just as I get to the line I'll tap the brakes and bring the bike itself to a complete stop for a microinstant (that's 1 millionth of an instant for you non-imperial unit users out there) while I allow my body to continue moving forward. As I release the brakes I've already got my foot on the power part of the stroke and accelerate out of the intersection. The bike stopped, I didn't.

This is something most cyclists on this forum will know, but I'm continually surprised by how many folks I've ridden with who have no idea about gearings and differences in cassettes, cranksets, etc. They might be struggling up a climb and I ask what cassette they're using and they have no idea. It's just whatever the bike came with. No idea that there are different cassettes with different gearings, some of which may be better suited for what they're doing, but they don't know this, and don't realize that swapping a cassette is like a five-minute job with just two inexpensive tools required. They'll just take it in and pay someone else to do it, and that's if they know it's even something that can or should be done.

I guess the same could be said for the number of folks I've ridden with who have no idea that a chain can be removable, and that a removable chain is a joy to work with.

I've used my hand to swipe debris off at least the front tire too, before, but I've also gotten lacerations in my gloves doing this, and thanked my lucky stars I was wearing gloves in the first place.

I've always been amazed at how many avid cyclists ride with under inflated tires or their seat incorrectly adjusted.....
Likes For 79roncooper:
Old 05-04-20, 12:00 PM
STCycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a couple bandages and alcohol cleaning wipes in the bag. Came in handy for a few fallen riders.
Old 05-04-20, 12:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrebed
Your wifes bike should cost twice what yours does up until her bike costs $2000. This will make her want to go.cycling and her bike will fly up hills, have.less mechanical failure s etc. She will want to ride more when she has the good bike and you have the crrappy cheap one.
My wife would not be motivated to ride more if I was on a cheap, crappy bike.
Old 05-04-20, 12:30 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Always wear a t-shirt under your jersey, not only will you be cooler, but in the event of a crash, your shoulder will be better protected from abrasions with 2 layers.
Make sure it’s either a wool or breathable synthetic undershirt, NOT cotton. Learned this when I was on the Schwinn Team in the 70’s. We had wool undershirts then, and the two layers slide against each other in a crash. Also the reason why you shave your legs and oil them. But a cotton shirt does not wick but holds moisture, gets heavy, and doesn’t cool
Likes For strangdang:
Old 05-04-20, 12:31 PM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I always pack my spare tubes in a resealable sandwich bag and throw in a few shakes of baby powder. Bag protects the tube and the powder helps ease installation of the new tube. Don't ask what black bibs and dark jerseys look like after changing a flat...but it does clean up pretty easily.
Likes For tonymarch:
Old 05-04-20, 12:47 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Here's another one: I put my full name and some other identifying information on the lock screen of my phone*. They won't be able to unlock it, but just looking at the screen they'll know who I am if they're trying to ID me.

*this one worked for me during a military deployment once too. I had my phone in my pocket and went to take care of some business, ahem, and about 20 minutes later I got an email from someone saying they had my phone. It had fallen out of my pocket while my pocket was, uh, lower than it's usual level.
I have similar on my lock screen, which also includes emergency contacts and med info.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 05-04-20, 12:49 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Best groundscore: a hand truck.

Obscure cyclist tricks:
- I fold up business cards and stuff them inside my seatpost and handlebar ends. It's a way to document the bike is mine if it ever gets stolen (unless the thief is wise to me).
- I used to brush my tires after riding through a debris field, but reaching my back tire always felt dicey, and that's the one that's going to flat anyhow, so I quit.
- I am amazed at the number of people who don't downshift when approaching a stop, or position their pedals for take-off.
- I keep a length of gorilla tape wrapped around my pump. I felt pretty smug when I pulled off the upper of one of my cleats and was able to repair it well enough to get home (but my smugness was tempered by the fact that I needed to buy new shoes).
Old 05-04-20, 01:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
For wet shoes:

Peet's shoe dryer FTW. I leave it on all winter- only 36w & goes to heat the house.

Any shoe or boot, no matter how sopping, will be dry and warm in the morning.

Shoe goo to seal up tire cuts (after you pick out the glass bits & rocks with an allen wrench??)

Keep a frame or floor pump in the car to assist roadside flat repair parties.

Hard boiled eggs are good on- road food for long rides. Go in the jersey pocket well & relatively easy to peel & eat while riding.
Old 05-04-20, 01:21 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
If I have to stop to fix a flat, I seek a nice shady spot if possible.
Old 05-04-20, 01:28 PM
Brauer

Bikes: Home build on 2015 Cervelo R5 open mold 6900g fully equipped, Too heavy 2013 Scatante and 1994 Trek 850 SHX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
yep. Done that on the front many times. I'm not so comfortable doing that on the rear while in motion. Really, I'm not that comfortable doing it on the front while in motion. The practice does reduce flats. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 05-04-20, 01:32 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Hard boiled eggs are good on- road food for long rides. Go in the jersey pocket well & relatively easy to peel & eat while riding.
Aren't the pieces of egg shell hard to clean out of your jersey pockets at the end of the ride?
Old 05-04-20, 01:47 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
And check for fire-ant mounds first. No prizes for figuring out why I mention it.
Old 05-04-20, 01:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Aren't the pieces of egg shell hard to clean out of your jersey pockets at the end of the ride?

No more so than banana peels that I also toss in the bushes.

One guy is so amused at the idea that he sometimes asks if it's a one egg ride, or a two egg ride.
Old 05-04-20, 01:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
I try to find a spot in the sun. Ha ha, just kidding, there's no sun in Seattle.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-04-20, 01:58 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by woodcraft
No more so than banana peels that I also toss in the bushes.
I usually just throw mine into someone's front yard. Everyone seems to appreciate it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-04-20, 02:25 PM
notmyke

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I see a lot of people mentioning the stuff (tools, tubes, etc.) they have in their seat bags; am I the only person who's dispensed with the seat bag and carries the tool / repair stuff in a wide-mouth water bottle?

Easy to move from bike-to-bike, keeps a firm cap on how much stuff I can carry (tube, glueless patches, CO2 head/cartridges(2), Pedros lever, multi-hex tool); can mount it wherever (I have both frame mounts and a behind-saddle mount) - or even in a jersey pocket if need be; waterproof; easy to check contents (e.g., if it rattles a lot, I didn't replace the inner tube yet).
Likes For notmyke:
Old 05-04-20, 02:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by notmyke
I see a lot of people mentioning the stuff (tools, tubes, etc.) they have in their seat bags; am I the only person who's dispensed with the seat bag and carries the tool / repair stuff in a wide-mouth water bottle?

Easy to move from bike-to-bike, keeps a firm cap on how much stuff I can carry (tube, glueless patches, CO2 head/cartridges(2), Pedros lever, multi-hex tool); can mount it wherever (I have both frame mounts and a behind-saddle mount) - or even in a jersey pocket if need be; waterproof; easy to check contents (e.g., if it rattles a lot, I didn't replace the inner tube yet).
I do both, Clip-in seat bags can be easily exchanged between bikes - I have a small one. If I am going to be out for a longer ride, I may use the bottle tool tube as it can carry more tools, or I may decide I need water instead
One way to keep it from rattling or to protect contents from damage is to put a low-top sock in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.