Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

List the bicycle that was stolen from you while you were at school

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

List the bicycle that was stolen from you while you were at school

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 07:59 AM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
It was back in the very early 70s and I was still in high school at the time. Bought a used Schwinn 10-speed (either green, lime green, or greenish yellow) for $35(!) and really liked the bike. I was dating my future ex-wife who lived a block-and-a-half away and across the street from a local park.

I rode over to her house one evening and parked my bike in the narrow space between one of her parent's cars (parked outside the garage in the driveway) and the garage door. I was there for a few hours and her dad had gone out to the store (prob'ly to buy cigarettes When he returned, he was surprised to see me still there. I asked him "Why?" and he said because my bike was gone. MY BIKE WAS GONE!

I ran outside and looked around and then got my car and drove around. As I expected, the bike was nowhere to be seen. Prob'ly an opportunistic theft by someone who had exited the park on the side where my gf lived. And I only had it for less than 6 months.

I prob'ly should have parked it in the garage when I first got there, but it also would have been nice if her dad would have let me know he was leaving so I could have moved the bike then. As a side note, it would be only the 1st of many less-than-desirable actions of my now-ex father-in-law that I would experience over the next decade or so that the marriage to his daughter managed to last.