Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur (dura ace 7401) shifting issue...2nd to 3rd gear...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Derailleur (dura ace 7401) shifting issue...2nd to 3rd gear...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 10:38 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
You need to turn out the 'b' screw.

turn out? or screw in?
turning out IE unscrewing the B screw, letting the jockey wheel be closer to the teeth?
or screwing in IE making the jockey wheel further from the teeth?
or do i have it backwards...
Old 08-20-13, 05:22 AM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I could be way off here as I'm no expert but are there 2 different ways that the cable can be routed to the cable clamp bolt on the RD. I seem to recall something like that with the 7400 or 7401 which made a difference to the indexing.
Old 08-20-13, 08:53 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
turn out? or screw in?
turning out IE unscrewing the B screw, letting the jockey wheel be closer to the teeth?
or screwing in IE making the jockey wheel further from the teeth?
or do i have it backwards...
'Out'. The objective is to bring the jockey wheels as close to the teeth as possible. If the upper jockey wheel hangs up on the largest cog when shifting to the next largest cog turn the 'b' screw 'in' to pull the jockey wheel away from the cog.

I'm not saying this is the probelm but it hleps to rule out some of the basics....

How's your chain length? I'm going to venture a guess and say it's too short. After you turn 'out' the 'b' screw shift it into small/small and post another side pic.
Old 08-20-13, 10:20 AM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old_dreams
I could be way off here as I'm no expert but are there 2 different ways that the cable can be routed to the cable clamp bolt on the RD. I seem to recall something like that with the 7400 or 7401 which made a difference to the indexing.
i think you might be right, i might have heard that before...i just went with what looked correct to me (ie cable laying in that specific groove) but ill look at that as well
Old 08-20-13, 10:23 AM
illdthedj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
'Out'. The objective is to bring the jockey wheels as close to the teeth as possible. If the upper jockey wheel hangs up on the largest cog when shifting to the next largest cog turn the 'b' screw 'in' to pull the jockey wheel away from the cog.

I'm not saying this is the probelm but it hleps to rule out some of the basics....

How's your chain length? I'm going to venture a guess and say it's too short. After you turn 'out' the 'b' screw shift it into small/small and post another side pic.
i thought i cut my chain correctly...i cant remember.
honestly this has been a project bike ive worked on little by little over this year so i should probably go back and check that out and either address or cross that off my long list on things to check.
Old 08-20-13, 03:22 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dreams
It will definitely make a difference but he needs to run the standard connection to the 7400 derailleur to be compatible with his 7400 shifters. If the cable is on the wrong side of the derailleur's pinch bolt that might explain the shifting difficulties. Also if the pinch bolt washer tab is pushed up against the cable that could account for the problem.

Last edited by Al1943; 08-20-13 at 03:25 PM.