Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Training with a powermeter

Old 07-27-15, 03:02 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training with a powermeter

So I'm about to have a powermeter on my track bike. I'm wondering How I can use it to help my training to most.
Ideally I'd like to get it to say the highest number I can get it to. I'm training for sprints.
Old 07-27-15, 03:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
So I'm about to have a powermeter on my track bike. I'm wondering How I can use it to help my training to most.
Ideally I'd like to get it to say the highest number I can get it to. I'm training for sprints.
[Below is just 1 man's opinion! I've owned 3 power meters (2 SRM and 1 PowerTap). Other sprinters love their power meters.]

1) If you don't know why you are getting a power meter, then you may not need one. (Not trying to be rude. I bought several and didn't need them.)

2) Power meters are great for measuring pursuit efforts and holding under threshold in order not to pop. For sprinting, to me, they are most useful as a "fatigue meter". Basically, you know what numbers you should be hitting for certain efforts. When you don't hit those numbers, maybe something is wrong (you are done for the day meaning no more good efforts in you, sickness coming, over-training, bad technique, etc...)

EDIT:

3) Also some coaches require their athletes to have power meters on their road and track bikes and they log all efforts (even trainer work). I think they do this mainly to accurately keep tabs on training volume.

So, my point is, if you are going to be diligent about crunching the numbers, then it may be a useful tool for you.

Last edited by carleton; 07-27-15 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 05:22 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with the above. Its like buying a stop watch, how would you use it to make it show the lowest numbers on a particular effort? Well you can track your progress with it, make changes to your training program and see how it effects it. A power meter is just with less variables, especially on outdoor tracks.

It also makes for a good fatigue monitor, as you get a lot of data you get familiar with your numbers at various times and can quickly tell when something is off. It also helps when you get poor conditions and your times worsen but your power is on track, to not feel like you are crap
Old 07-27-15, 07:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
It also helps when you get poor conditions and your times worsen but your power is on track, to not feel like you are crap
YES! This is a point that I forgot.

If you ride a flying 200M that's 0.5s slower than you expected, you are gonna be bummed. But, if you see that your numbers are the same (or higher) then maybe it was your line or wind. Those are easier to fix than re-doing 6 months of training
Old 09-01-15, 09:53 AM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
YES! This is a point that I forgot.

If you ride a flying 200M that's 0.5s slower than you expected, you are gonna be bummed. But, if you see that your numbers are the same (or higher) then maybe it was your line or wind. Those are easier to fix than re-doing 6 months of training
Interesting.. interesting. I see how that works. Well I've officially bought it and it'll have a tire around it in no time. Thanks for your advice guys!
Old 09-21-15, 07:31 AM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting.. interesting. I see how that works. Well I've officially bought it and it'll have a tire around it in no time. Thanks for your advice guys!
What did you buy? I'm looking at the Power2Max Rotor crank ..
Old 09-21-15, 08:00 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Buy "Training and Racing With A Power Meter." And read it.
Old 09-21-15, 10:30 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonski
What did you buy? I'm looking at the Power2Max Rotor crank ..
Ive had one for a year now and very happy with it. Price is good, ill probably buy another for my road bike once the CDN dollar comes back.

only issue Ive had is at extreme g-forces it cuts out (50kmh+ on a 138m track). Never been an issue on bigger tracks. Battery lasts forever. Wish it had a higher sample rate but thats standard for this price range.
Old 09-30-15, 08:45 AM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Ive had one for a year now and very happy with it. Price is good, ill probably buy another for my road bike once the CDN dollar comes back.

only issue Ive had is at extreme g-forces it cuts out (50kmh+ on a 138m track). Never been an issue on bigger tracks. Battery lasts forever. Wish it had a higher sample rate but thats standard for this price range.
Glad to hear it. I just got the rotor on the ritte yesterday
Old 08-28-16, 11:46 PM
jhdoucette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New track power meter

I see that https://www.vervecycling.com is developing a track specific power meter
Old 08-29-16, 03:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jhdoucette
I see that Power Meters Australia | Bicycle Power Crank ? Verve Cycling is developing a track specific power meter
Looks interesting. I like their sampling rate.

What concerns me is that they've milled out the middle of the crank arm to put in the sensors. I think the bigger guys would have confidence if they published the amount of force it takes to snap one of these:

Old 08-29-16, 03:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, there is mention of a track crank in the comparison chart, but no mention or pics anywhere else on the site. So, I'm inclined to think it doesn't exist yet for track.