Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Attacked while riding in Virginia

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-18-17, 11:00 AM
AndrewHenle
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't post often anymore (got a special dispensation to create this second account a few years ago to post another incident while retaining the anonymity of my main BF account with about 10,000 posts...), but this needs to be publicized. I'm pressing charges against this guy in this video:

(can't post links - just Google "assaulted while riding andrew henle"...)

or turn this into a link:

youtu.be/watch?v=XhlnCG-1Cx4

Black BMW 328i, South Carolina tags.

I was riding west/north on Harmony Church Rd in Hamilton VA yesterday afternoon. As I approached the intersection, a car approached behind and the driver laid on the horn continuously.

I figured no big deal, just ignore him and he'll go away.

Nope.

After I stopped at the stop sign, I heard the driver getting out of the car.

I got off my bike - I didn't want to try cycling away from him as I'd get up to a decent speed to get away only to have him run me down in his car? No thanks.

The driver began attacking me.

He let up attacking me to toss my bike into the ditch. At that time I took out my cell phone and started filming the above video.

On my RideWithGPS track, (which I can't post but it's ridewithgps.com/trips/17772927) you can see where he tossed my bike into the ditch. Note that there's significant time between my stopping and him tossing my bike into the ditch - time he spent attacking me.

I've been told by the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office that this person owns property near Warrenton, Virginia. I also suspect that those South Carolina tags might be "special" and belong to a South Carolina state legislator.

I'm also worried that the Loudoun County, Virginia Commonwealth's Attorney will not prosecute the case.

If that's the case, what's this guy's next step? He's already more unhinged than that California doctor that brake-checked a couple of cyclists and put them in a hospital about a decade ago.
Old 09-18-17, 07:16 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
The following was your post following the previous incident. Well, this guy was out of the car.

Originally Posted by AndrewHenle
I had an encounter with a dangerous driver just west of Leesburg, Virginia, yesterday, June 13.

I was coming south/east down Dry Mill Rd about 11:45 AM, when a silver/gray car tried to pass me with traffic coming the other way.

I caught the car out of the corner of my eye, and luckily decided to touch my brakes.

Because then the car shot back into my lane, right where I would have been.

So I shout his license plate at him.

Then, he started slowing down and I thought, "Here comes the

BRAKE CHECK!"

Yep - brake checked. I actually had to swerve around the car on its left side because there was no room on the right side to get by, and I was too close to ensure stopping without hitting the car.

The car passed me way too close again, this time with both windows down and the driver and his wife both shouting something like "Get off the street!"

Inspired by a recent BF post, I couldn't help but respond, "Funny, I told your mother the same thing last night!"

Aw crap. That REALLY angered him. (But not enough for him to be brave enough to get out of the car. Imagine that. )

Two or three more brake checks. The car actually stops.

I go past again. I'm not stopping for this clown. No way I want to give up the one advantage I have on the bike - maneuverability. Even if I'm behind him, if I stop and he puts his car in reverse there's a good chance I won't be able to get out of the way.

Clown driver waves a badge at me like he's some kind of cop.

I yell, "If you really are a cop, you should damn well know better! Jackass!"

Yes, I got the car's plates. I filed an online traffic complaint with the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, and I'm still mulling over whether or not to file a criminal complaint.

Because this guy tried to do to me what that doctor out in California did a few years ago.

And I think he's done it before, too.

I ride out in Loudoun County a lot - and the more I think about it, this car meets the description of one that buzzed me and another cyclist about a month or two ago, again on Dry Mill Rd, but that time I was going west/north.

The scary thing is, if it was the same driver, last month all he was doing was buzzing close by cyclists, and now he's actually brake checking them and even trying to run them off the road.

Now, with the traffic complaint I've filed, if this driver is out to "teach those cyclists a lesson", maybe we can stop it before someone gets hurt or killed.

So, if you've had problems with an aggressive silver/gray car in or around Leesburg, VA, please file a police report.

(And yes, I normally post under another account not associated with my real name. Tom allowed me to create this account under my real name for the purpose of posting what happened in the hopes of preventing something worse.)
Old 09-18-17, 07:31 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
There are several online databases where one can enter in bad drivers--closecalldatabase.com is specific for cyclists, while zapatag.com is for bad drivers in general. Small consolation, but something.

OTOH, the video is clipped to the attack; if you press charges (which would be your right), expect the entire video, including what (if anything) lead up to the event to be collected as evidence.

Civil charges for damage take a long time in most cases. Small claims court is less cumbersome, and I would expect one can only go after monetary damages (not emotional distress, pain and suffering or whatever the terms are, legally). IANAL, of course.

Newspapers, TV stations might bite, if you contacted them, especially if, as you have suggested, this is some bigwig in politics or business.

If you have reason to fear physical retaliation, you can get an emergency restraining order, but the downside is you have to file the locations that he would have to stay away from, namely your work and home address, which is a Catch-22. But it does make the entire event a matter of public record, and much harder to sweep under the rug. You would have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.
Old 09-18-17, 09:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The first link you posted is dead. Here's a link to the YouTube video:

Last edited by canklecat; 09-18-17 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 09-18-17, 10:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

While I'm usually opposed to doxing, this needs to be all over social media until you find out who the guy is. He's a menace to the public and a threat to everyone on the road.
Old 09-19-17, 02:09 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well OP, if some old flea had have pulled that rage on me he would have the one in the ditch not the bike. But good on you for cowering down and not protecting your property. There is a too much anti-cyclist fever out there as it is and by letting that old man walk all over you you helped defuse one potential threat.
Old 09-19-17, 02:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by coominya
Well OP, if some old flea had have pulled that rage on me he would have the one in the ditch not the bike. But good on you for cowering down and not protecting your property. There is a too much anti-cyclist fever out there as it is and by letting that old man walk all over you you helped defuse one potential threat.
Ease off the pissedoffterone, tough guy. Maybe the OP doesn't have all your wins in armchair jitsu.

Nobody knows how they'll react in a situation like this until they've been there.

And those of us who've survived actual street fights eventually learn to cope with defusing situations other ways or we don't get old enough to coach cyclists in the fine art of here's what I coulda-woulda-shoulda done in your situation-fu.
Old 09-19-17, 07:23 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Have you found out who this fool is, and have you filed charges? You should do so immediately!!!!!
Old 09-19-17, 07:30 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
That's crazy.
Old 09-19-17, 08:04 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Audio makes it sound like a pretty even fight to me. So what if the asshat motorist rolled the bicycle off the road while the cyclist started recording, in order to gather evidence against asshat. An overall win for cyclist showing asshats friend and business associates what asshat is really like.

Also, if the cyclist is in look style cleats, it is not always the smartest thing to engage.
Old 09-19-17, 08:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ease off the pissedoffterone, tough guy. Maybe the OP doesn't have all your wins in armchair jitsu.

Nobody knows how they'll react in a situation like this until they've been there.

And those of us who've survived actual street fights eventually learn to cope with defusing situations other ways or we don't get old enough to coach cyclists in the fine art of here's what I coulda-woulda-shoulda done in your situation-fu.
I know I wouldn't have deescalated. He would have gotten his due from me.
Old 09-19-17, 08:29 AM
AndrewHenle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Audio makes it sound like a pretty even fight to me. So what if the asshat motorist rolled the bicycle off the road while the cyclist started recording, in order to gather evidence against asshat. An overall win for cyclist showing asshats friend and business associates what asshat is really like.

Also, if the cyclist is in look style cleats, it is not always the smartest thing to engage.
Speedplay Zeros. I was worried about slipping and falling on the asphalt and giving him a chance to do something like kick me.

So I basically focused on preventing his swings from connecting, or his attempts to grab/choke me from succeeding.

In hindsight, I should have gotten more physical to prevent him from getting back in his car. If he had a gun there, I'd likely be dead.
Old 09-19-17, 08:32 AM
AndrewHenle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Have you found out who this fool is, and have you filed charges? You should do so immediately!!!!!
Loudoun County Sheriff's Office has apparently identified the driver. The responding Deputy won't be back on duty until tomorrow (Wed), so the paperwork won't be complete until then.

And I'll probably have to prod the prosecutor to get this guy actually charged.

I do plan on seeing this through - despite the SC tags, he apparently has a residence nearby. What happens the next time he sees me or some other cyclist DARING to RIDE IN THE ROAD!!! OMFG!!!!
Old 09-19-17, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I've read that when someone gets out of their car, it's immediately an assault
Old 09-19-17, 09:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Incidents like this make me lean even more toward carrying pepper spray on my bike.
Old 09-19-17, 09:39 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
It hasn't quite been 24 hours but I have seen this. Processed my first reactions. Slept on them. Prayed on them. And now, since it is still fresh... FWIW... very much so... for this video to have legal legs all concerned are going to need to see the moments leading up to the physical confrontation. If they do not exist, the video is almost useless. It may not be everyone's takeaway but mine is: riding FRAP is better than any alternatives that cycling advocates dream up and put into practice in Red States.
Old 09-19-17, 09:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
This video is tough to watch. I hope the driver faces charges.
Old 09-19-17, 09:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by CB HI
Speedplay Zeros. I was worried about slipping and falling on the asphalt and giving him a chance to do something like kick me.

So I basically focused on preventing his swings from connecting, or his attempts to grab/choke me from succeeding.

In hindsight, I should have gotten more physical to prevent him from getting back in his car. If he had a gun there, I'd likely be dead.
Zackly what I was thinking. I've worn cleated Dettos before, not clipless. But it's hard as hell to move quickly and gracefully off the bike. Even evading someone's attack can be difficult.

You did about as well as could be expected under the circumstances.
Old 09-19-17, 10:00 AM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It hasn't quite been 24 hours but I have seen this. Processed my first reactions. Slept on them. Prayed on them. And now, since it is still fresh... FWIW... very much so... for this video to have legal legs all concerned are going to need to see the moments leading up to the physical confrontation. If they do not exist, the video is almost useless. It may not be everyone's takeaway but mine is: riding FRAP is better than any alternatives that cycling advocates dream up and put into practice in Red States.
So I drive that road the OP was on. FRAP on that road in many locations would be down right dangerous. I personally would never bike on that road because it has way too many blind turns, blind hills, zero shoulder room for safely passing a bicycle and good portions of it are 50 mph. NOT defending the assault at ALL, just stating I get very nervous driving that road cause I know cyclist are on it and if they are riding FRAP on a blind turn I will not see them with enough time to slow down. If they take the lane on the blind turns I would have a better chance of seeing them.
Old 09-19-17, 10:09 AM
AndrewHenle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What does this have to do with "Red States"?

FWIW, Northern Virginia is about as blue as any non-totally-urban-middle-of-a-city part of the US is.

And look at the video - that road is simply not wide enough to hug the white line and allow a car to pass. There's maybe 18" between the side of the car and the white line, and maybe a whole foot of a "shoulder" beyond the white line. And a BMW 328i isn't exactly a large, wide car. And that's not accounting for the vegetation that grows alongside - and into - the road, further constricting the rideable width. And let's not mention the blind crest just before the intersection...

Let me guess: you never ride on roads like that.
Old 09-19-17, 10:17 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You should have just ridden onward. You had the choice to de-escalate.
And why do you have 2 BF accounts?
Old 09-19-17, 10:17 AM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
What does this have to do with "Red States"?

FWIW, Northern Virginia is about as blue as any non-totally-urban-middle-of-a-city part of the US is.

And look at the video - that road is simply not wide enough to hug the white line and allow a car to pass. There's maybe 18" between the side of the car and the white line, and maybe a whole foot of a "shoulder" beyond the white line. And a BMW 328i isn't exactly a large, wide car. And that's not accounting for the vegetation that grows alongside - and into - the road, further constricting the rideable width. And let's not mention the blind crest just before the intersection...

Let me guess: you never ride on roads like that.
Also in the video you are on a much wider safer part of Harmony Church, there are sections worse than that.
Old 09-19-17, 10:28 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Really odd behaviour on the part of the driver. It takes quite an affront to get most folks out of their seats.

Let us know how this works out.
Old 09-19-17, 11:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by trailangel
Once someone confronts you like that you're presented with choosing the least bad option, rather than the best. Turning your back on an attacker or trying to outrun a faster vehicle is a poor choice. Bikes can't even outrun a decent jogger on a steep hill. Better to face the attacker and do your best to deflect physical attacks.
Old 09-19-17, 11:19 AM
AndrewHenle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Riiiight. And have him get right back in his car and run me down.

Brilliant.

The safest place in that situation - already stopped - is off the bike. You can't outrun the car on the bike or on foot, but on foot it's really easy to run perpendicular to the road, cross the ditch, and be safe from the car. If you try to ride away and he gets back in the car, what are you going to do? Try crossing a deep ditch at speed and hope you don't fall down right in front of his car?

Didn't think that through, did you?

See post #1. And post #2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.