Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Trek 400D Elance paint and cleanup advice

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1987 Trek 400D Elance paint and cleanup advice

Old 02-12-20, 09:31 PM
Kapurnicus

Bikes: '87 Trek 400D Elance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
About the cost of a basic color at Seattle Powder Coat.

How much do decals go for? $40?
You seem very concerned about money.
Old 02-12-20, 09:35 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, that’s 10! I think cleaning would go a long way.

I thought that was missing electroplating, but it came off with my fingernail, so just needs a polish.

Bare metal. Movers are very inconsiderate. A great deal of paint damage is from the moving truck.

Some overspray from last time.

Old 02-12-20, 09:37 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Little bit of rust.

A little more rust.

Definitely need a new saddle

Last bit of rust on the frame. Only 3 spots I’ve found.

Should this be basically touching the gears? Looks wrong.

I thought that screw was stainless, but it doesn’t appear that way.
Old 02-12-20, 10:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapurnicus
Yeah, most of us here are, because we can buy and store only so many exceptional bicycles.

I noticed in your area a Trek 760 with full Campagnolo for $350...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-13-20, 06:08 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
If you've been searching Bike Forums threads about Trek 400 Elance stuff- you've probably ran across my dozen or so threads about my 1986 Trek 400 Elance.

Here's my theory about this bike... This is a 400 level Trek- at the time I think it was the 2nd from the bottom of Trek's lineup. But at this time, it seems Reynolds tubing had lost cachet, so this bike which has a double butted Reynolds 531 main frame and I believe Tru-Temper CrMo forks and stays is somehow a 400 level frame. Prior to 1986 a bike with a 531 frame and CrMo fork and stays was considered a 600 level frame. Where I think Trek got down to that price point is the components. There's nothing bad on here- it's all good stuff and it all works well- but this bike is a wonderful bike with nice stuff on it.

One of the first bikes I ever fell in love with was the 86 Trek 400 Elance in blue with the silver head tube- it was such a beautiful, classy machine- it's still what defines a good looking bike to me. That beautiful, deep Imron metallic blue- you can see "into" it, the way it glistens in the morning sun... I actually searched for one for months using every CL scouring app I could use- and I found an overpriced one more than 100 miles away- after dithering on it for a little bit, found it was still available- and drove there, with a horrible cold in sub zero temperatures and paid full asking price.

Over the years I've upgraded most of all the parts on the bike- My first secret plan was to go to tricolor 600 on it, but eventually decided on a mix of 600, XC Pro, XC Comp, Superbe and others... it's all pretty much top shelf stuff and the bike is fantastic.

I'm a really bad person to ask how much to drop into a project like this. I'd guess this is a $200 bike- if that and I have somewhere around $1000 into it. And I think it's worth it.

As far as your bike... Make sure it fits you- if it doesn't fit, no matter what you do to it- it's going to suck.

If it fits, get it powder coated and clean up your parts. You can always upgrade parts at any time, or you can keep what you've got. Since you're missing a brake, I'd recommend getting some new Tektro dual pivot brakes- you'll need longer reach brakes so I think that's the R559. And personally, I think your saddle is shot- I think an old Avocet Touring II (not WII) would be slick on this bike.

And just for giggles- here's some old pix of mine!

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-13-20, 06:23 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Here's my theory about this bike... This is a 400 level Trek- at the time I think it was the 2nd from the bottom of Trek's lineup. But at this time, it seems Reynolds tubing had lost cachet, so this bike which has a double butted Reynolds 531 main frame and I believe Tru-Temper CrMo forks and stays is somehow a 400 level frame. Prior to 1986 a bike with a 531 frame and CrMo fork and stays was considered a 600 level frame. Where I think Trek got down to that price point is the components. There's nothing bad on here- it's all good stuff and it all works well- but this bike is a wonderful bike with nice stuff on it.

One of the first bikes I ever fell in love with was the 86 Trek 400 Elance in blue with the silver head tube- it was such a beautiful, classy machine- it's still what defines a good looking bike to me. That beautiful, deep Imron metallic blue- you can see "into" it, the way it glistens in the morning sun... I actually searched for one for months using every CL scouring app I could use- and I found an overpriced one more than 100 miles away- after dithering on it for a little bit, found it was still available- and drove there, with a horrible cold in sub zero temperatures and paid full asking price.

Make sure it fits you- if it doesn't fit, no matter what you do to it- it's going to suck.
If it fits, get it powder coated and clean up your parts. You can always upgrade parts at any time, or you can keep what you've got. Since you're missing a brake, I'd recommend getting some new Tektro dual pivot brakes- you'll need longer reach brakes so I think that's the R559. And personally, I think your saddle is shot- I think an old Avocet Touring II (not WII) would be slick on this bike.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 02-13-20, 06:25 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

I take it by that comment you're not; so strip that thing all the way down and get it done right. It's a sweet bike.
Old 02-13-20, 09:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I'd recommend getting some new Tektro dual pivot brakes- you'll need longer reach brakes so I think that's the R559.
Those are way too long. Best to measure first.
Old 02-13-20, 10:01 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you've been searching Bike Forums threads about Trek 400 Elance stuff- you've probably ran across my dozen or so threads about my 1986 Trek 400 Elance.

Over the years I've upgraded most of all the parts on the bike- My first secret plan was to go to tricolor 600 on it, but eventually decided on a mix of 600, XC Pro, XC Comp, Superbe and others... it's all pretty much top shelf stuff and the bike is fantastic.

I'm a really bad person to ask how much to drop into a project like this. I'd guess this is a $200 bike- if that and I have somewhere around $1000 into it. And I think it's worth it.

As far as your bike... Make sure it fits you- if it doesn't fit, no matter what you do to it- it's going to suck.

Wow. That is a beautiful bike. That’s nearly what this one looked like long ago (head tube was blue too, instead of silver).

I’m not sure what size is the right size. I’ve ridden this one pretty far at a time without pain. Look like it’s maybe a 54cm if I’m measuring right. I think the crank is 180-185mm. My inseam is 32.5”. I can stand over it, and my leg is nearly fully extended at the bottom of a push, but not quite. I’ve got the seat up quite a ways. I’m 5-9, but with spinal fusion, so I should be taller. I’ve got long arms and legs, but can’t bend far (from the rods), so a smaller bike might be best so I can get to the handlebars. I’ve never felt cramped on this one, but the calculators online say I should be on a 56 with 170mm crank (at least one of them. Others needed more measurements). It’s my understanding the calculators suck. Either way, I’m rebuilding this one, if it’s not comfortable long term, I’ll do something else next.

I have both brakes on the bike. Might have just looked weird in a picture. Everything works.

Originally Posted by Hudson308
I take it by that comment you're not; so strip that thing all the way down and get it done right. It's a sweet bike.
There was just a lot of quoting proving I can get a better bike for less. That’s true, but I like this one and want the experience of rebuilding it. That’s worth more than a couple hundred to me. I figured I can make it powder coated and have some fun putting it back together for less than $400-500 using most of the hardware that’s here already. Maybe another $100 in tools. I’m okay with that. I’ve spent a lot more for less entertainment and this is a skill I’ve wanted to have for a while.

STEP 1: pedal rebuild. Both bearings aren’t great.

Old 02-13-20, 11:03 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Here's my two 400's which might encourage you to keep at it. But if you're learning bike mechanics from square zero, I'd have reasonable expectations and work incrementally rather than attempting to do a complete restore from scratch. It's easy to go crazy and end up with boxes of parts that never become a bicycle again. Don't worry much about cosmetics initially other than cleaning..... just get the bike mechanically sound. Work in stages - get one system (wheels, gears, cables, etc.) cleaned and working properly, then move on from there. Good luck.

Old 02-13-20, 11:43 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“Gravely” was an understatement. Hasn’t been grease in here in a while. 13 balls per side. A dust cap that didn’t want to come off. Quite a bit of wire brushing ahead. Not sure the outside (cone side) is salvageable. But once I get some rust off I’ll be able to see what the races look like. Any cleaning suggestions?

the inside doesn’t look half bad. Still smooth and bare metal.

Dust cap did NOT want to pry off.

Metal flakes were falling out already.

13 each side

Cone. Might clean up. Suggestions?

Old 02-14-20, 12:08 AM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One round of wire brush (manual, not dremel) and some dish detergent gave me hope. Races are smooth enough. A lot of the corrosion was surface level. I’d like to get them cleaner, but I think they’ll work.

and suggestions on cleaning, where to get ball bearings (1/8”??) or what grease to use are all helpful.

Old 02-14-20, 07:29 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

I agree that resale value isn't the all-exclusive factor when deciding whether to restore/refurbish. I enjoy doing it just to bring worn-out machines back from the "discard" pile.
The pedals are a great place to start. You'll get many different opinions on what to use for cleaning & lube. My favorite cleaning solvent is mineral spirits, because it does the job without noxious fumes or aggressive chemicals. That and a brass brush selection (for cleaning bare steel) from Harbor Freight go a long way. I also like to use Finish Line Ceramic grease on the bearings. It seems to seep out alot less when it gets warm/hot. Grade 25 lot-matched bearing balls are available from eBay or Amazon.
Old 02-14-20, 07:36 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Those are way too long. Best to measure first.
6403 brakes are too short for 700c wheels- those go out to 49. What’s the next size up polished Tektro DP brake?

The point is moot- as I misread the OP thinking he didn’t have the rear brake- it’s just not original.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-14-20, 07:39 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by markjenn
Here's my two 400's which might encourage you to keep at it.

I was going to mention your green one in my post!!

Old 02-14-20, 12:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

What’s the next size up polished Tektro DP brake?
R539.

But they might have other models as well.
Old 02-14-20, 01:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
One round of wire brush (manual, not dremel) and some dish detergent gave me hope. Races are smooth enough. A lot of the corrosion was surface level. I’d like to get them cleaner, but I think they’ll work.

and suggestions on cleaning, where to get ball bearings (1/8”??) or what grease to use are all helpful.
grade 25 chrome steel balls from Amazon or Ebay or if you want to try locally a bearing house like Motion Industries.
Marine boat trailer wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store
Old 02-14-20, 01:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts

I didn't have any issue dropping over $1K on my 1987 400 or 1991 updating them with 10 speed Ultegra triples and new wheels

Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-14-20, 02:36 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 218 Posts
I was going to mention your green one in my post!!
Halloo Golden Boy!
I posted some questions about Treks ‘86 Triathlon series but it’s not seeing a lot of attention, so I’m (sorry!) going to do a mini-derail here.

I had an ‘84 610 that I loved for its “medium-ness” livelier than a touring bike, more forgiving than the X60 series. Does your 400 fall into that same lovely middle category?

I’m pretty sure the ‘86 Triathlon 500 and 700 were the same bike as the Elance series but with better tubing, is that correct?

I’d love to find another “middle-ish” bike I could fit 700-32s on, (sans fender) with a saddle role and a bar bag. Something that would carry a jacket and a lunch but was just a little more aggressive than a full boat tourer.
Old 02-14-20, 03:42 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
Halloo Golden Boy!
I posted some questions about Treks ‘86 Triathlon series but it’s not seeing a lot of attention, so I’m (sorry!) going to do a mini-derail here.

I had an ‘84 610 that I loved for its “medium-ness” livelier than a touring bike, more forgiving than the X60 series. Does your 400 fall into that same lovely middle category?

I’m pretty sure the ‘86 Triathlon 500 and 700 were the same bike as the Elance series but with better tubing, is that correct?

I’d love to find another “middle-ish” bike I could fit 700-32s on, (sans fender) with a saddle role and a bar bag. Something that would carry a jacket and a lunch but was just a little more aggressive than a full boat tourer.
Get your own thread! Having no bike experience other than this, The strong frame has been good with a lot of weight (had pannier bags at one point) and still felt fast. I've never been on a race bike, and only cheap Walmart bikes as far as commuters and mountain bikes. I always liked the weight of this one, felt strong but still light. One thing I did change for a long time was the tires, I've got a set of ribbed 32s that "feel" better than the 23s, (and didn't pop as often). Absorbed more of the road, but were MUCH slower according to my Hall effect speed gauge. (Obviously that absorbing and road friction steal some power). I'm sure you were asking Golden Boy, but this is my thread, so I felt okay answering haha.

Anyone know for sure this ball bearing size? It's measuring with calipers about 1/8, but they aren't exactly round and good anymore. These are SR SP-250 pedals. I'll look, but I think my grease gun has some bearing grease in it from the last trailer I built that will probably work fine. Looks like I'm gettin bearing balls off amazon, no where locally seems to have this size in stock (even Fastenal has to ship them).

Cleaning suggestion other than mineral oil? I just used some dawn as a degreaser. I'm going to lightly hit them with the polisher on the Dremel I think. I'll avoid the actual bearing contact area as much as possible. It's pitted, but doesn't stick up anyway, so it should still run smooth with some grease. I'm feeling optimistic.
Old 02-17-20, 01:32 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
If your goal is to do a full-on restoration, and this bike is definitely worth it, I'd forgot about painting it yourself. You're just not going to do it justice, unless you happen to have a sandblaster and professional paint booth at home.

Take it to a LBS, have them strip the frame and put all the parts in a box. Take it somewhere that will sandblast it down to bare metal, and then either paint or powder coat it. I like powder coating myself, but you do lose a slight bit of detail around the lugs.

Then you reassemble it, using whatever combination of old parts and new upgrades you want. That's the fun part. You end up with a brand new bike that you can keep forever.
Old 02-17-20, 05:47 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
If your goal is to do a full-on restoration, and this bike is definitely worth it, I'd forgot about painting it yourself. You're just not going to do it justice, unless you happen to have a sandblaster and professional paint booth at home.

Take it to a LBS, have them strip the frame and put all the parts in a box. Take it somewhere that will sandblast it down to bare metal, and then either paint or powder coat it. I like powder coating myself, but you do lose a slight bit of detail around the lugs.

Then you reassemble it, using whatever combination of old parts and new upgrades you want. That's the fun part. You end up with a brand new bike that you can keep forever.
Definitely decided on the powder coating. So much more durable than paint.

Got the pedals done. The gravely one actually spins now! Used waterproof marine bearing grease, says its good for trailer and marine bearings, so I figured it fine for a pedal. It's blue-ish, but seems to be about the consistency I expected. Worked great. Was easier than I thought. Had to do a lot of work on the first one, but the second one was still in pretty good shape, so I just cleaned everything and put in new grease and balls.

Next I think I'm going to go for the wheels. Have to figure out how the hubs work and how to get the freewheel off (first special tool purchase I guess).
Old 02-18-20, 08:00 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Once you get the freewheel off (Park tools FR-1, probably), it's not too far off from what you did with the pedals. You'll need cone wrenches (probably 13mm for the front, 15mm for the rear, but check). Same idea. Just leave one set of cups and cones tight on the spindle if possible to keep everything aligned.

Last edited by PugRider; 02-18-20 at 08:01 AM. Reason: cone wrench suggestion
Old 02-18-20, 10:50 PM
Kapurnicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Once you get the freewheel off (Park tools FR-1, probably), it's not too far off from what you did with the pedals. You'll need cone wrenches (probably 13mm for the front, 15mm for the rear, but check). Same idea. Just leave one set of cups and cones tight on the spindle if possible to keep everything aligned.
thanks for the advice. it ended up being a cassette (based on the park tools site, I didn’t know the difference). So I think it uses the FR-5.2 from Park tools based on their images.

I didn’t see much difference between a cone wrench and a normal crecent. Is there a reason I can’t use normal wrenches? I guess I’ll find out when the cassette removal tool comes. I’ll take a look at the front too. I’ll keep posting pics. This will hopefully be interesting for someone later to watch the whole process.

Shimano 6 speed cassette
Old 02-19-20, 07:45 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

I didn’t see much difference between a cone wrench and a normal crecent. Is there a reason I can’t use normal wrenches? I guess I’ll find out when the cassette removal tool comes. I’ll take a look at the front too. I’ll keep posting pics. This will hopefully be interesting for someone later to watch the whole process.
The reason cone wrenches work where normal open-end (or Crescent) wrenches won't is due to the wrench thickness. Normal open-end wrenches are too thick to get in to grab the cone flats with the nut in place. This becomes critical when you're trying to hold the cone while adjusting the nut.
One more tip is to use a stick magnet (like the telescoping ones) to grab the bearing balls out of the hub, once the cone is removed. Please keep posting pics. We love watching old, worn-out bikes slowly come back to life!
BTW mineral spirits is very different than mineral oil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.