Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 05-31-20, 10:37 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Do you think its any safer to emergency brake on any of the track frames shown here? Im a road biker so i got used to have brakes and freewheel.. while I adore these machines I know i might die with them in no time.
But maybe my lack of knowledge makes me not understanding why the Cherubim is any less safer than the others.
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
I am not sure what Reynolds meant. Road is road and track is track. Or you pick your spots carefully. No big deal though..... everyone has an opinion. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but what cracks me up about Bike Forums is you can work yourself to the bone displaying tons of cool killer pictures with commentary and hardly anyone will say anything. Then they find one little thing they can nitpick and they have to post it right away. I have to laugh. But its cool because I really love bicycles and I do it because I love it. And some people have let me know they appreciate it. Lattz is at the top of the list of those who love these machines and one who supports this blog. And none of this is directed at Reynolds....it is just a general observation.
I think I didn't express it correctly. First, VintageTTfan, it's a personal taste thing, so if you like it it can not be discussed. I know it's an high quality machine made with great craftmanship.You like it, me not so much, that's it. And I appreciate you starting this great thread and the effort you put into it.
VintageTTfan and Lattz: about why it looks dangerous to me, I didn't look at it as a track machine but more as a fixie fashion bike. The "top tube" is way too high, so trying to straddle it in an emergency stop could be painful, to say the least...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-31-20, 12:05 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I think I didn't express it correctly. First, VintageTTfan, it's a personal taste thing, so if you like it it can not be discussed. I know it's an high quality machine made with great craftmanship.You like it, me not so much, that's it. And I appreciate you starting this great thread and the effort you put into it.
VintageTTfan and Lattz: about why it looks dangerous to me, I didn't look at it as a track machine but more as a fixie fashion bike. The "top tube" is way too high, so trying to straddle it in an emergency stop could be painful, to say the least...
Hey thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense. As I said I have not any clue about fixed gear bikes as I was 3 when I had one for the last time, so for me it is always interesting to learn why a bike is better/worse than another especially in this thread the bikes are the ones I have the smallest chance to ever own.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-31-20, 06:15 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts

I really love the uniqueness of this build except with the evil putrid handlebars. They are a cardinal sin....hopefully I am making my disdain subtle here. On the other hand, that saddle is super cool and unique. Matches the paint job perfectly. Has anyone ever seen that seat post before? I kinda like it. The wheels are killer of course, especially the front COSMIC. Even the peddle straps match. Now all it needs are some curvy bullhorns with neon hot pink bar tape! I like the whimsical fun aspect of this build.
The seatpost looks like the original Giant TCR.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-31-20, 11:21 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts

Nice enough bike but there are those awful handlebars that should be thrown into Mt. Doom.
Euro Sport were built by Brian Hayes in Australia, who did his fair share of Olympic track frames. That photo was taken in Melbourne, my home town. I'll be sure to hunt down the owner and sentence them to a life behind (TT) bars.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 06-01-20, 06:13 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Hope things are good in Germany and your virus casualties stay low. With the deaths topping one hundred thousand here in the USA, it is tragic. Seems like we are lost in an illusion where we can't see it anymore....like we are becoming desensitized. It is so sad all over the planet. If I did not mention it then it would be wrong.
Hey, thanks. I guess the situation in Germany is still quite okay compared to other places but i have a feeling that the effect of the eased restrictions will just come into play. Every day you can read about cases like resraurants or schools who generated ca. 100 cases each alone in an instant. Plus peole also think the "beside the mask thing" everything is normal again so they meet in hordes of course without keeping distance or wearing mask beside the supermarkets.. But lets see how it goes on.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-01-20, 02:03 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

: Mike
Old 06-01-20, 05:24 PM
Lattz

wanted to make sure that these stay close to the herd.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-01-20, 05:30 PM
Lattz

The road TT version of Cicli Berlinettas iconic white-blue Columbus air miracle.
Unfortunately the paintjob and saddle dont amaze me as much as the frame.

and the road bike version

Last edited by Lattz; 06-02-20 at 12:11 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-02-20, 07:01 AM
Lattz

A nice track frame for those who like flag-themed paintjobs, unfortunately no high-res photos, and the Ms Pain red arrows pointing to the glitches are not so fancy.
I am personally more interested in the keirin brake adapters, would have been nice to know about these back when I let a Takhion frame run, because it was track.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-02-20, 07:53 AM
Lattz

Bumped into this DeFranchesci the other day, I like it a lot (no its not as simple as if Italian and red I like it) minus the tape... with so much attention to details on this, they could have searched for a white to red one, this fading cellos are really nice, but this silver/bordeaux is somehow off, but of course even mentioning it feels awkward. Maybe an other thing is that I would have gone either for a black brake rubber or for a white seat, but everything else is top, at least for me.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-04-20, 02:50 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Good folks, I bring you an iconic bike:
This is the wonderful Wilier Triestina Ramata Pista. Bianchi has its infamous celeste color and Wilier Triestina has their rust color. But this is no ordinary rust color as you know. This color radiates beauty into the classic Italian bicycle Universe! It glows, it shines, it emanates gloss, it transcends in its magnificent effulgence (that should count for an 11 on the pretentious meter). I have had a fondness in my heart for this bike since I first saw it. I do not know the history of their use of this color or their secret....but I would love to know. Perhaps they use diamond dust. And the builder on this one did some things right......finally. White is the right color for this......has to be.....white saddle....white bar tape.....seems mandatory. It setts off the rust. He or she used nice gumwalls, and nice panto stem I would be interested if anybody can spot any mistakes or anything they would improve to make it more authentic? Perhaps our resident expert can give us an accurate assessment.....I would be curious for sure.

I am fantasizing about riding this on the track right now. I would have a clear advantage as the other riders would be gawking instead of focusing. In summation, Just Beautiful.
I’m not a painter, but I believe you get the wonderful glow in the color, as seen on the Willier, by painting with a semi translucent paint over a chromed frame.

If the base isn’t chrome, I was once told that, if you add a bit of the base color in the first layer of clear coat, the color will get a lot more depth.
Likes For FlemmingM:
Old 06-04-20, 07:07 AM
Lattz

Good folks, I bring you an iconic bike:
This is the wonderful Wilier Triestina Ramata Pista. Bianchi has its infamous celeste color and Wilier Triestina has their rust color. But this is no ordinary rust color as you know. This color radiates beauty into the classic Italian bicycle Universe! It glows, it shines, it emanates gloss, it transcends in its magnificent effulgence (that should count for an 11 on the pretentious meter). I have had a fondness in my heart for this bike since I first saw it. I do not know the history of their use of this color or their secret....but I would love to know. Perhaps they use diamond dust. And the builder on this one did some things right......finally. White is the right color for this......has to be.....white saddle....white bar tape.....seems mandatory. It setts off the rust. He or she used nice gumwalls, and nice panto stem I would be interested if anybody can spot any mistakes or anything they would improve to make it more authentic? Perhaps our resident expert can give us an accurate assessment.....I would be curious for sure.
I am fantasizing about riding this on the track right now. I would have a clear advantage as the other riders would be gawking instead of focusing. In summation, Just Beautiful.
Originally Posted by FlemmingM
I’m not a painter, but I believe you get the wonderful glow in the color, as seen on the Willier, by painting with a semi translucent paint over a chromed frame.
If the base isn’t chrome, I was once told that, if you add a bit of the base color in the first layer of clear coat, the color will get a lot more depth.
That is exactly how it is made. This finish is called cromovelato, and was the big thing in the late 70s and through the 80s. Not only one of the most spectacular finishes, but also the most special one, and the manufacturers who use(d) it never forgot to point this out. As opposed to the normal painting process where small glitches can be corrected or covered with filler and base coat and of course the paint itself, the main "feature" of the cromovelato is to expose, how perfectly the frame is made. So the whole frame has to be mirror polished, chromed, then covered with a tinted transparent clearcoat. This is more effort to make. Those who are interested, heres a youtube vid from Battaglin explaning the same.

Its intersting, that Wilier offers the finish for every current model of theirs as well for a "modest" USD1500,- extra over the bike's price, as I think, with modern frames they anyway paint the underlying chrome coating as well (I think of the carbon frames here), therefore it might not be that difficult to make, rather just "pay for the special look" thing - but I might be wrong.

While I like cromovelato frames for their looks, there is one big downside of them. If the lacquer gets damaged, it starts peeling, which does not look that good, and of course 1., repairing is almost impossible 2., full redo...hm... who would like to do that to a special frame? And if you do its no cheapo. It is always a big question, but definitely more difficult compared to painted ones.
Of course not as bad as having base coat exposed or raw or rusty steel, but not nice either:

As for Wilier, the copper color is their signature one from around 1945, hence the name Ramata (female form of ramato, meaning copper plated), and if I am not mistaken a successful model is called Gioiello Ramato, or Copper Jewel (hard to tell if it refers to every Ramato finished ones in the 80s or only a certain model, thanks to people on the net, who are labelling things to the closest one their imagination allows, like every green Bianchi is an X4 and almost every which has a yellow splash as well was ridden by Pantani himself ).
That Wilier pista is definitely breathtaking...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-04-20, 09:28 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

: Mike
Old 06-05-20, 01:52 PM
Lattz

A classic British bike.....nice color and nice saddle IMO. Thanks for the post.

And I try to include a picture to avoid too much repetition:

For me this is one of the magic unicorns.. I'd love to hear from those who were involved in it how these ended up in Soviet hands.
Its also cool with the Takhion handlebars.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-05-20, 02:02 PM
Lattz

pure elegance
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-07-20, 11:19 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
I thought that I would post a progress picture here since this is where my obsession began..I started a thread entitled "Help Me Build My Bertoni Crono" in the CV subforum but want to post a pic here to...sorry for the cross-post.
I am still trying to source parts and decide on whether or not to go more vintage or a bit more modern (Aero).
Decals are off and I have put a few things on the frame.

Polished, detailed and mounted a saddle.

Still trying to source a reasonably-priced front wheel, not a disc!...I like the way it is coming together!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-07-20, 12:57 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I thought that I would post a progress picture here since this is where my obsession began..I started a thread entitled "Help Me Build My Bertoni Crono" in the CV subforum but want to post a pic here to...sorry for the cross-post.
I am still trying to source parts and decide on whether or not to go more vintage or a bit more modern (Aero).
Decals are off and I have put a few things on the frame.

Polished, detailed and mounted a saddle.

Still trying to source a reasonably-priced front wheel, not a disc!...I like the way it is coming together!
Best, Ben
Oooh..... and how good is it that youve thought... so far good. I like that bordeaux Concor. Really classy. As for the front wheels you can check out Mavic.I dont know the availability ob the US market but here in Europe you can still find nos rims as well as really cheap ( EUR 50) complete wheels.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 04:18 AM
Lattz

And another pic:

Regular people riding lo pros.....love this category of picture....especially when they are not butchering the bike.
Anybody on Earth riding a Gamba Alan lopro...that must be good! Ever since I saw that Gamba made lopro Alans as well besides the regular badge engineering Im looking differently at my damaged silver frame. Too bad I cant just give birth to a set of different lugs which makes the diffeeence otherwise I'd resurrect it immediately.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 07:42 AM
Lattz

And for my last post of the day:

For me this has that elegant look that exemplifies why lo pros are so sweet. Its dark cherry red color is sweet too. In general I like OLMO bikes anyway. I love the panto shifting levers, the signature, the writing on the bar stem, the AMBROSIO rims, the whole package is just classy. This one goes out to our chief detective here at TT Land,....figured he would like it.
Haha! I went through the pictures staring for minutes at each of them. By now its not a secret, that I like Italian bikes, speacial bikes, red bikes, so if something has these features in an all-in-one package that's even better. I was laughing loud as reading the text. I told myself, whoever built this one at Olmo, must have thought of me.

Last edited by Lattz; 06-08-20 at 04:47 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 09:06 AM
Lattz

A different kind of crono bike. Absolutely not from the targeted era for this thread, but a beautifully crafted specialty so I thought others might like it as well. So clean, that these photos look CG fake ones. I'm personally not a huge fan of golden things in general, massive amount of gold usually makes me sick. And while I explicitly do not like this shade of gold somehow it comes together well on this bike, but I'm open to comments from others, be it positive or negative. The Heuer stopwatch makes the whole thing both funny (like anybody would ride a batch of gold for records) and serious.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 10:24 AM
Lattz

a nice Laser-show. Unfortunately not in my cellar.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 10:39 AM
Lattz

Love the crank chain ring of course and the aero bottle on the other picture....love vintage aero bottles. Salmon is one of the very earliest makers of lo pros.

The 7.6 and 6.8 kg weights are eye-popping. My Alan weighs 8.6 and that is alu and was considered worlds lightest....... (I think with a handful of exaggeration)
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-08-20, 01:29 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Lattz
A different kind of crono bike. Absolutely not from the targeted era for this thread, but a beautifully crafted specialty so I thought others might like it as well. So clean, that these photos look CG fake ones. I'm personally not a huge fan of golden things in general, massive amount of gold usually makes me sick. And while I explicitly do not like this shade of gold somehow it comes together well on this bike, but I'm open to comments from others, be it positive or negative. The Heuer stopwatch makes the whole thing both funny (like anybody would ride a batch of gold for records) and serious.

Lattz,
Where do you find these images? While I am not usually a fan of a lot of bling for some reason this works for me.
As Dorthy would say in The Wizard of OZ...."Oh My!!!!!!!!"
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-08-20, 07:21 PM
xiaoman1 

That is a very tasty/graceful seat tube along with the triangular bracing of the stays...so very nice!
Ben

Tunnel Vision!

Last edited by xiaoman1; 06-08-20 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-09-20, 05:13 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lattz,
Where do you find these images? While I am not usually a fan of a lot of bling for some reason this works for me.
As Dorthy would say in The Wizard of OZ...."Oh My!!!!!!!!"
Best, Ben
Hey Ben,
same here, as I wrote, gold plated bikes are not my thing as well, not only because as VintageTTfan pointed out, they get ugly if not done properly, but in general too much gold is not for me.
But I felt that this one cannot be just simply ignored.
The pics are from CycleEXIF.
Likes For Lattz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.