Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 09:41 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I remember, as a kid, being told about "may you live in interesting times". Man I long for a good boring decade.
You know, this might be a the big one. The Philippines has already been hit by a cyclone. And El Salvador by a severe tropical storm. That's where our rain is coming from. They got much more, much more quickly---mudslides, washouts, deaths.The rain from that depression is scheduled to continue through this week. The southeast part of the peninsula looks to get 12". Same with parts of Chiapas, which is steep and prone to mudslides. Puerto Rico and The Bahamas are still trying to dig out from Maria. Then there are the southeastern United States scrambling to figure out Covid compatible shelters during hurricanes. And the cherry on top? The leader of the free world has checked out.
​​​​​

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 06-01-20, 09:47 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

And to all a good night

Old 06-02-20, 02:34 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
We are in an agricultural county.
How are your foaling management skills? Maybe you should hit a refresher course at the Caz?
Old 06-02-20, 05:34 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,179 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
You know, this might be a the big one. The Philippines has already been hit by a cyclone. And El Salvador by a severe tropical storm. That's where our rain is coming from. They got much more, much more quickly---mudslides, washouts, deaths.The rain from that depression is scheduled to continue through this week. The southeast part of the peninsula looks to get 12". Same with parts of Chiapas, which is steep and prone to mudslides. Puerto Rico and The Bahamas are still trying to dig out from Maria. Then there are the southeastern United States scrambling to figure out Covid compatible shelters during hurricanes. And the cherry on top? The leader of the free world has checked out.
​​​​​

I don’t understand stand the southeastern part scrambling of hurricane shelters during covid?
Old 06-02-20, 05:42 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Ah. I was thinking you'd been riding it for 41 years. That would be impressive.
No, that would be impressive. I don't recall ever owning one single bike more than 10 years and even then only a couple. Most only make it 4-5 years at the most though my latest is going on 6 years.

Old 06-02-20, 06:06 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I don’t understand stand the southeastern part scrambling of hurricane shelters during covid?
I believe he's referring to families and emergency managers having to contend with social distancing (and the resultant need for more than the usual number of shelters to fit everyone safely), PPE requirements, and temperature checks for potentially thousands of people leaving the coasts (and New Orleans 'cause GTFO of there already for a storm).
Old 06-02-20, 06:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Hey gang, does anyone have a favorite weather site? I used to love Weather.com and its app, but it jumped the shark awhile ago.

More recently I have been using weather underground, but at least the web version is slow and has stupid pop-ups. MyRadar app is great for live radar, but I am interested in more detail especially day-before and day-of ride conditions, and would be interested in knowing if there are other options that people use and like.
Old 06-02-20, 06:32 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How are your foaling management skills? Maybe you should hit a refresher course at the Caz?
Maybe. Lots of acreage around here is becoming horse pastures.
Old 06-02-20, 06:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I use Weatherbug on my iPhone and iPad but haven't found a decent site on the desktop.

If you want to have some fun, I have an app called WTForecast on my iPhone that rudely tells me the weather everyday. This is a screenshot of the only "clean" report that it gave me this morning. Generally, it tells me the weather using curse words.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 06-02-20, 06:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I woke and found signs of mayhem on the dining room table - the contents of a flower vase were scattered, adjacent window blinds askew and the culprit conveniently left tufts of fur as a calling card. Britt is usually a very mild-mannered cat, so we were in disbelief that she'd so thoroughly flipped-out.

A few minutes later, Britt hopped on top of the table again, right in front of us, tail twitching madly. My wife shooed her away, shocked. "Wait a second, honey," I said, things clicking in to place, "what are those little purple flowers that you put in the vase?"

It took a second to register, then she sheepishly replied, "cat mint. Sorry."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-02-20, 06:49 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I woke and found signs of mayhem on the dining room table - the contents of a flower vase were scattered, adjacent window blinds askew and the culprit conveniently left tufts of fur as a calling card. Britt is usually a very mild-mannered cat, so we were in disbelief that she'd so thoroughly flipped-out.

A few minutes later, Britt hopped on top of the table again, right in front of us, tail twitching madly. My wife shooed her away, shocked. "Wait a second, honey," I said, things clicking in to place, "what are those little purple flowers that you put in the vase?"

Oh boy
Old 06-02-20, 07:08 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

The rain let up again, a few minutes ago. The entire back yard is a shallow lake. And a large part of the front. There is a heretofore unknown roof leak in the man cave, and another in the man cave kitchen(flat concrete roof) But there are puddles in other parts of the house that have no explanation. They are just there. I had to turn in my quilt, last night, and get out of he sleeping bag, because the quilt is seemingly wicking moisture out of the air

Old 06-02-20, 07:11 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by datlas
Hey gang, does anyone have a favorite weather site? I used to love Weather.com and its app, but it jumped the shark awhile ago.

More recently I have been using weather underground, but at least the web version is slow and has stupid pop-ups. MyRadar app is great for live radar, but I am interested in more detail especially day-before and day-of ride conditions, and would be interested in knowing if there are other options that people use and like.
I use Weather Bug. And, this time of year also the NOAA hurricane center
Edit: For the desktop, Windy.com is a good one.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 06-02-20 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 07:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Old 06-02-20, 07:16 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The masterminds in Washington and other centers of government must be on the people equivalent of cat nip as they also turn destructive.
Likes For berner:
Old 06-02-20, 07:25 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
The rain let up again, a few minutes ago. The entire back yard is a shallow lake. And a large part of the front. There is a heretofore unknown roof leak in the man cave, and another in the man cave kitchen(flat concrete roof) But there are puddles in other parts of the house that have no explanation. They are just there. I had to turn in my quilt, last night, and get out of he sleeping bag, because the quilt is seemingly wicking moisture out of the air
After a few days of very high humidity I went downstairs and found a puddle of water on a folded-up air mattress. Must be condensation.
Old 06-02-20, 07:41 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,239 Posts
Forecast to be 91°F today.

Going to need to thoroughly pre-hydrate a-la Velo Vol since I only have one bottle cage on my bike. And even more so because I forgot to bring an additional one to stuff in my jersey pocket
Old 06-02-20, 07:49 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

A wonderful story to start the day with.

Old 06-02-20, 08:02 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
My cat loves my mountain bike shoes. Must be the smells from riding through brush because he is only remotely interested in other shoes. Anyway late at night he will go into the closet (hollow hardwood floors) and throw them around, sometimes throwing them out of the closet. It is quite noisy.
Old 06-02-20, 08:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Going to need to thoroughly pre-hydrate a-la Velo Vol since I only have one bottle cage on my bike. And even more so because I forgot to bring an additional one to stuff in my jersey pocket
Don't forget.
Old 06-02-20, 08:41 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Got out of the city for the weekend and had a little North Shore hiking vacation.

Likes For RPK79:
Old 06-02-20, 08:42 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Likes For RPK79:
Old 06-02-20, 08:43 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Likes For RPK79:
Old 06-02-20, 08:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11953 Post(s)
Liked 6,606 Times in 3,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I use Weatherbug on my iPhone and iPad but haven't found a decent site on the desktop.

If you want to have some fun, I have an app called WTForecast on my iPhone that rudely tells me the weather everyday. This is a screenshot of the only "clean" report that it gave me this morning. Generally, it tells me the weather using curse words.
Sounds like my cup of tea, must try.

I have this snarky app on my Mac that's been around since the very beginning of Mac computers, originally called the Talking Moose, the latest version is called Uli's Moose. Basically there's a voice that pops up frequently during the day with some random snarky remark, cat jokes, ironic observations, all kinds of different dumb, humorous things. It's been on my computer entertaining me literally for over 30 years. Doesn't do the weather, but endearing.
Old 06-02-20, 09:05 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Like pics of RPK79

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.