Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 06-03-20, 11:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I'm sure that this'll confuse the hell out of guys like Velo Vol, but I'm just not acclimated to warm weather yet. It was ~72° and sunny at the outset of my ride and I was uncomfortable when trying to ride at a high-ish output; had to dial it back.

Cycliq selfie from this morning's ride.

Old 06-03-20, 11:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Snapped a quick link this morning. One of the pins separated from the side plate. Had to make the call of shame.
You don't carry one with you?
Old 06-03-20, 11:13 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
A friend of mine just gave me a 1998/99 Cannondale RT 1000 tandem. It's in excellent condition, but will get new saddles, handlebar tape, and clip-less pedals.

That's a nice bike.

I sure wish I didn't wad up my R2000.
Old 06-03-20, 11:15 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm sure that this'll confuse the hell out of guys like Velo Vol, but I'm just not acclimated to warm weather yet. It was ~72° and sunny at the outset of my ride and I was uncomfortable when trying to ride at a high-ish output; had to dial it back.

Expensive mirror.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 06-03-20, 11:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Man, in my world 72* is downright chilly.
Old 06-03-20, 11:19 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,172 Times in 2,220 Posts
I’ve reached the point in my life that if I need something, I buy it. I’m sure many can relate. But then again, occasionally I get a practical and usable gift from someone like my son gave me yesterday to wear on my rides:

the amazon list was actually to prevent her from buying me things I don’t need. It has backfired however, instead of buying the list she has bought me similiar items, in some cases that’s fine. In other cases I still have to go buy the original thing. With that being said, I much rather buy the things I need myself. I don’t know what I need until I need it and then I want it now.
Old 06-03-20, 11:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
the amazon list was actually to prevent her from buying me things I don’t need. It has backfired however, instead of buying the list she has bought me similiar items, in some cases that’s fine. In other cases I still have to go buy the original thing. With that being said, I much rather buy the things I need myself. I don’t know what I need until I need it and then I want it now.
Have you pointed out that the list is clickable?
Old 06-03-20, 11:22 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You left America because most people give holiday gifts?
I would wager it's less of a direct "because most people give holiday gifts" and more of a "the rampant materialism". For example, AG and I had a simple courthouse wedding (not leastwise because neither of us likes to be the center of attention). My ex though, she wanted a wedding with all the trappings, and saw me as the prop to stand next to her during the process. She didn't even want to get married until she got jealous of all her friends having weddings right after graduation. That's not that rare, sadly. She found someone to fill in for me less than a year after we broke up.

It is, of course, not just weddings - the fact that there's the permanent "seasonal" aisle in stores means there's always something to use to pressure people into buying crap for each other. It's exhausting and destructive, and far worse for people without disposable income.

I'll get off my soapbox now; this isn't the most pressing issue right now. But I think I understand what seedsbelize meant.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-03-20, 11:26 AM
big john

I drained my 70oz Camelbak and 2 large bottles in a 4 hour ride yesterday and was still dehydrated.

Early in the ride I cut through a neighborhood and see a woman fall on the ground next to a wheelchair. I stopped and asked if I could help and she said no. I asked again and stuck around for a minute but it was clear she didn't want me there. I said "ok tough guy" which got a little chuckle out of her.

Later, a car buzzed me pretty close and I shouted a f-bomb involuntarily while the open window was right next to me. A while after that I cut off a car at an intersection, totally my fault, and the young man driving went into a rage, flipping me off and screaming at his closed windows. I tried to say "sorry" but he wasn't having it. I wondered if he was going to get out of his car ahead of me since we were going the same direction, but he just raged ahead.

A fun day.
Old 06-03-20, 11:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
That's a nice bike.

I sure wish I didn't wad up my R2000.
I'm pretty excited about it. It's an older style tandem with 135mm spacing + cantilever brakes, but it looks like new. It's metallic BRG with gold logos. Very classy looking.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-03-20, 11:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

Snapped a quick link this morning. One of the pins separated from the side plate. Had to make the call of shame.
I did that a year or so ago, but I was lucky I was in town. I honestly don't know how it happened, but it separated, and I lost one side. My multi-tool has a chain breaker on it, so I was able to get it back together, but I was a mess. Luckily, I was near a shop that's well known on the web as a Sprinter Guru. I know my way around a shop, so I had no issue clicking on in there in my spandex, and asking if I could use their shop sink to degrease. Of course, I show him my hands, and he directs me to the employee bathroom. Holy crap... Before going in, I was looking for the medical station so I could get my immunization shot. The shop itself was bad, and the bathroom was worse. I'm thinking wtf did I get myself into? I have to come out with clean hands, because I sure don't want to insult the fellows that were kind enough to infect let me use their place. I was able to spy some soap, and was able to turn on the cold water, and knock most of the T-9 off my paws. I thanked the gentlemen profusely, they asked how far I had to go, I said only 25-30 more miles, "we don't even drive that far here" (har har har), finished up, and took a long shower.
Old 06-03-20, 11:48 AM
big john

I'm pretty excited about it. It's an older style tandem with 135mm spacing + cantilever brakes, but it looks like new. It's metallic BRG with gold logos. Very classy looking.
Do you have a stoker?
Old 06-03-20, 11:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Is there a drag brake?

Green with gold logos is one of the best Cannondale colors, IMO. Only eclipsed by the polished ones.
Old 06-03-20, 11:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit. Now I hear fire trucks.
I’m getting just the most northern edge of that system, amounting to just sprinkles.
Old 06-03-20, 11:59 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Seems like enough.

LOL Too many lumps of coal in your stocking?
No. It was symptomatic of greater issues. And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 06-03-20, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My ex though, she wanted a wedding with all the trappings, and saw me as the prop to stand next to her during the process. She didn't even want to get married until she got jealous of all her friends having weddings right after graduation. That's not that rare, sadly.
Wow! Flashback to the 90s. Young woman joined the law firm. One night a bunch of us went on a pub crawl. She got pretty snockered and ended up sobbing about how her boyfriend had dumped her because she was pressuring him into marriage. She was upset because all her hometown friends were married and they thought she would have been the first to get married. She clearly wanted a big ceremony. All the works. Not long after that she ended up in a relatively long distance relationship with a guy who her friends fixed her up with. He was a Hostess delivery truck driver in CT, her home state. (NTTAWWT) They used to meet halfway at a motel in Tarrytown, NY, on the weekends. She soon left the firm to be with him. Wonder how things worked out.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-20, 12:00 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by big john
Do you have a stoker?
It's probably too big for the women I ride with, but one male friend I ride with should be a perfect fit.

He can really hammer the flats when he wants to. We should be able to get this bike moving fast together.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-03-20, 12:01 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Amanda? Cristobal is heading that way next week.

Old 06-03-20, 12:02 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

A friend of mine just gave me a 1998/99 Cannondale RT 1000 tandem. It's in excellent condition, but will get new saddles, handlebar tape, and clip-less pedals.

Old 06-03-20, 12:07 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by abshipp
Is there a drag brake?
No, but many of the roads in this area long, straight, and flat.
Old 06-03-20, 12:11 PM
noodle soup

It's probably too big for the women I ride with, but one male friend I ride with should be a perfect fit.

He can really hammer the flats when he wants to. We should be able to get this bike moving fast together.
He pays for premium Strava, so it'll be interesting to see if we can snipe some of the longer flat KOMs.
Old 06-03-20, 12:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I just finished processing five snack-size bags of mangoes for freezing. Barring imminent rain, I will head out for another round of gathering momentarily.

Old 06-03-20, 12:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
He pays for premium Strava, so it'll be interesting to see if we can snipe some of the longer flat KOMs.
Woohoo!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-03-20, 12:21 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Velo Vol , seedsbelize :

There are some menacing clouds in the area right now, but regardless they have started ramping up the chatter in preparation for Cristobal. The spaghetti models so far are predicting Saturday or Sunday landfall (though I haven't checked the weather updates since last night).

Also, mentions are not working (still? again?). Only caught Vol's as I was reading through this morning's chitchat.
Old 06-03-20, 12:45 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28567 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Man, in my world 72* is downright chilly.
IKR, like summer was canceled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.