Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek 2020 Domane as an all purpose ride?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek 2020 Domane as an all purpose ride?

Old 06-01-20, 04:20 PM
Emilio700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfellow02
I've read that 40 mm tires on a 2020 Domane are a 'squeeze'.....Probably depends on the tire, as many are not true to size.
My bike. 54mm between chainstays and fork legs on SL and SLR.
Old 06-03-20, 08:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
Not looking for a heavy duty gravel bike. The trails I would use are probably smoother and in better condition than many roads. I have ridden them many times with 32's and have seen others with much smaller tires having no issues. As msu2001la stated I am just looking for a comfortable ride, 32's are probably as big as I will go. This will be used as a road bike for all intentions. Recently the road has just started to become a little rougher for me, old age, road conditions, who knows. This bike just caught my eye and everything I can find on reviews seem to be quite positive ,especially the smooth ride quality . Lynskey Ti was my only other consideration, I have a 2000 Tuscany with Campy that I really enjoyed but it just sits collecting dust. The roads and needs have changed I have thought about trying something new like the Sportive. Have always feared carbon fiber as delicate and it still worries me but maybe it's time for me to take a leap of faith. This bike, the Domane, just seems to have so much to offer for my needs. CORB52 thanks for the heads up on the dealer. Went to a local dealer and it was a bit sad. Treks were being touted as merely adequate but the Specialized Diverge was being pushed six ways to Sunday by them. They seemed to be clueless on the 2020 Domane changes. Was not impressed. May have to take the wife to Ikea for a shopping trip
Not sure if Ikea is open yet!

Last edited by dwmckee; 06-03-20 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 06:53 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Just had to do it.

Took awhile but I finally managed to take one for a test ride. The 54 was nice but the seat post was a tad short. I could have tried a longer post but opted for the 56 instead. Being 5'9" I was between sizes. The 56 seems a bit large but not bad yet the 54 seat post a bit short so I opted to go larger. Hope I made the right decision. Went with the SL5 in rage red, quite a stunning look with the black top tube. The bike definitely takes the edge off of rougher pavement. Just ordered new pedals, computer and a few other tid bits to accessorize.Just wanted to update you all and to let you know where this thread ended for myself and to thank you all for your input. Thanks again for all the help
Likes For pattrick:
Old 06-07-20, 08:08 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Took awhile but I finally managed to take one for a test ride. The 54 was nice but the seat post was a tad short. I could have tried a longer post but opted for the 56 instead. Being 5'9" I was between sizes. The 56 seems a bit large but not bad yet the 54 seat post a bit short so I opted to go larger. Hope I made the right decision. Went with the SL5 in rage red, quite a stunning look with the black top tube. The bike definitely takes the edge off of rougher pavement. Just ordered new pedals, computer and a few other tid bits to accessorize.Just wanted to update you all and to let you know where this thread ended for myself and to thank you all for your input. Thanks again for all the help
Pictures please.
Old 06-08-20, 07:46 AM
princo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'10" and went for the 56 as well. For those that haven't looked the price of the new Domane seatposts, they are $275 and only come in carbon. So if anyone is considering a longer one, make sure to include it as part of negotiation for the initial purchase of the bike!
Old 06-08-20, 09:04 AM
Emilio700

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Speaking of seatmast, there is also a 0 offset version. The standard is perhaps 20 mil offset. I special ordered my frame set with 0 offset after careful measuring.