Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain waxing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain waxing

Old 06-16-20, 01:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
The dirt all falls to the bottom, which of course is where the chain rests. So you do need to give it a wipe. I literally only give it a single wipe. I replace the wax when it gets hard to see the quick link on the bottom as you're trying to fish it out.
Old 06-16-20, 01:05 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Wenmtuz
I've been using dry lube the whole time, and planning to change it to wax. But then I'm still curious of the ingredients. I'm not sure if I can use normal white candles and melt it or I need to use pure paraffin wax. As I know, normally white candle contains some chemical in it. Thanks guys
Paraffin wax & PTFE at a 10:1 ratio seems to be working very well. If you can't find PTFE, paraffin wax only also does the job.

Make sure to completely clean your chain before your first dip. To do that, you can soak it in fuel for a while, then in degreaser and then in rubbing alcohol.

This video sums it up pretty well. You can skip to 11:30. This guy is a chain waxing guru!

Old 06-16-20, 01:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
rubiksoval quick link is the way to go. You can re-use them (shimano or KMC).
Shimano quick links are reusable? I was under the very distinct impression they were not.

Just googled. Top thing says "The quick link is designed for use with 11-speed chains and is, according to Shimano, not reusable. "

Just one thing I don't want to compromise, even if the risk is minimal. I've broken one chain in my life mid-race coming out of a 180 and that was enough for me. The idea of that happening in a sprint at 35 mph is hard to think about.
Old 06-16-20, 02:10 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Yeah, it's probably a good idea to replace those. Nobody I know does but that's just anecdotal
Old 06-16-20, 02:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Shimano quick links are reusable? I was under the very distinct impression they were not..
They are fine. I am extremely paranoid and risk-adverse, and am very hard on chains. I have had zero problems.
Old 06-16-20, 02:52 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Paraffin wax & PTFE at a 10:1 ratio seems to be working very well. If you can't find PTFE, paraffin wax only also does the job.

Make sure to completely clean your chain before your first dip. To do that, you can soak it in fuel for a while, then in degreaser and then in rubbing alcohol.

This video sums it up pretty well. You can skip to 11:30. This guy is a chain waxing guru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxzHClWfQU&t=693s
I'd probably use mineral spirits since they come in an odorless form.
Old 06-16-20, 03:57 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I don't have my glasses on. I thought the subject was 'Chain Waving", and I was all "here we go..."
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 06-19-20, 08:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I always uses chain oil. I clean and oil my chains about once a year. Then when I got my last bike the chain was stretched and I bought a new one. The guy at the bike shop offered to lube it for me with a wax based product that he highly recommended . I said OK and I love it . The freewheel needs a lot less "flossing" and the drive stays clean. I went back to buy some of my own so I could start converting my other road bikes over. I asked how often to reapply and he said to wait until the chain is no longer quiet. I noticed after about 300 miles the chain is not as quiet so I am getting ready to put more on. I thought that 300 miles was not very good until I noticed on the bottle that you are supposed to wait a minimum of 24 hours before using the chain. I did not wait , i rode the bike immediately so that is why it is now making a bit of noise.
Old 06-19-20, 03:06 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
My disc brakes have been wonderfully quiet for quite a while now. There seems to be a school of thought that too much chain lube oil can end up on the discs causing squealing. Does anyone have an opinion in whether a waxed chain might lessen this possibilty?
Old 06-19-20, 08:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
My disc brakes have been wonderfully quiet for quite a while now. There seems to be a school of thought that too much chain lube oil can end up on the discs causing squealing. Does anyone have an opinion in whether a waxed chain might lessen this possibilty?
if a rotor is squealing, lube it, then it will stop

but yea, I actually believe this the case for some people who believe the more lube the better! My CX bike is the only bike I have with disc breaks and it don't make any noise. I don't do a lot of gravel riding but I do wax all my chains.