Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else bring the bike inside the store while shopping?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Does anyone else bring the bike inside the store while shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 11:25 AM
Mark42
Banned

Bikes: Nothing a Bike Weenie would ride.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have brought my bike into high rise office buildings, up the elevator and left it in a lobby where I have a Dr. appointment. No one said anything. But buildings like that often have enormous lobby or center court so its never in the way.
Old 07-30-17, 11:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I'll lean my bike in plain view just outside or inside the door on long bike rides where I am not going to carry a 2 pound lock when I stop to get some food or drink. I go to the nearest manager I can see and ask if I can park my bike "there" and point to a place where it is mostly out of sight or within good view of the employees while I shop (in full cycling outfit and shoes so it is obvious why I didn't bring a lock). Almost always, they say "sure" or find me a better spot.

I have done the same more than once when I got to the store on my cargo bike, then realized I forgot my keys or still have my car keys on me. (I know I-Like-To-Bike thinks I should do the 18 mile round trip to go back and get them. Most store prefer I say and spend my money there and are happy to accommodate me.)

Ben
Old 08-01-17, 10:43 AM
Staypuft1652

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed around my city most places dont have bike racks. Nor do they have many provisions for bikes in general, despite claiming to be bike friendly. I can always find a pole or something to lock to though, I wouldn't dream of trying to bring my bike into businesses, although that would be nice, but people here think I am strange for carrying my bike in my house. There's a guy a few houses away that has had at least 4 moderately high dollar bikes stolen in the 3 years I have lived here. This same man still leaves his bikes unlocked in his yard, and uses a $10 squiggly cable lock from walmart when he goes out.
Old 08-01-17, 12:27 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I just rode my e-bike to get a haircut during lunch. Unfortunately the building has no good place to lock up to outside, and inside there's no out of the way place to put the bike (display shelves on one side of door, waiting area on other side). So I parked it right outside the storefront by the door, with 2 locks going through the rear wheel and frame (U-lock + chain lock). I was a little nervous, especially when another dude waiting went outside and looked at it, staring at it for a long time, pretty close sometimes. But all was good. He didn't touch it *phew*
Old 08-01-17, 04:25 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only shops I take my bikes into these days are bike shops. I am very selective about the businesses I will take my bike to if I need to lock it up and leave it unattended. In my region cycling is very popular, which unfortunately means that there are a lot of professional bike thieves around.
Old 08-02-17, 04:11 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I do most of my shopping on either an old Shogun that cost me practically nothing, it was from the re-use-it area of the dump: or a tig-welded XO-5 that cost me twenty dollars at a yard sale. I still lock them, but I don't worry about them as I would if they were my favorite bikes.
Old 01-27-20, 05:32 AM
Djmazeoner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being stopped by the Walmart State Police Honesdale Pennsylvania 18431 Wayne County

On Saturday January 11th at 2:45 p.m. I Moses Rivera was shopping at Walmart on Willow Avenue in Honesdale Pennsylvania when a store manager put his hands on me because I had a bicycle in the store. I recorded the situation and put it on YouTube here is the YouTube link

This happened at the Wal-Mart of Honesdale PA 18431

I did not know shopping with a bicycle at Wal-Mart was a crime... Employee incident part 2
Old 01-27-20, 06:40 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I bring my Brompton into the grocery store all the time. It’s very easy to fold it up and Just put it into the shopping cart while I’m shopping. I also bring The Brompton into restaurants but only after I bag it. This way people don’t even know what it is and I just slip it under my table.
Old 01-27-20, 07:49 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Djmazeoner
On Saturday January 11th at 2:45 p.m. I Moses Rivera was shopping at Walmart on Willow Avenue in Honesdale Pennsylvania when a store manager put his hands on me because I had a bicycle in the store. I recorded the situation and put it on YouTube here is the YouTube link

This happened at the Wal-Mart of Honesdale PA 18431

I did not know shopping with a bicycle at Wal-Mart was a crime... Employee incident part 2
That must be this one.

I'd fear being thrown out of a Walmart, given how much of the shopping market they control. If you get thrown out of one, do you get banned from all of them?

Yes, monopoly power is bad, episode one million. Good luck.
Old 02-02-20, 09:47 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
I do whenever possible. Oddly the stores you'd expect to be pro-bike like Whole Foods & Trader Joe require me to use a bike rack. I avoid them where possible...
Yeah, what’s wrong with Fremont Whole Foods? Don’t they understand their greatest contribution to the city is being one large Amazon pick-up locker?

That millennial store manager needs to slow her roll when it comes to lecturing me about bringing my bike in for less than 30 seconds. She sounds like a boomer.
Old 02-02-20, 07:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You guys are so lucky to be able to take your bicycle into a store and shop with it near you. I don't know of any store here in South Central Ontario Canada that will let you bring a bicycle into the store let alone into the area where the isles are.

Cheers
Old 02-02-20, 07:50 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I walked my bike into a Home Depot today after 8 miles in the pouring rain... walked it into the plumbing section and parked it in front of the kitchen faucets while I selected one, walked it past the teller as I paid, and then rode home and installed the faucet. If they had said a word (they never have before) I'd have gone around the corner to Lowe's. If someone doesn't like that you ride a bike, or doesn't care how hard it is to secure your property, take your money elsewhere.
Old 02-02-20, 09:18 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Yes to Home Depot for me on multiple occasions. There’s never been a problem but I always go during the middle of the day when it’s not very crowded at all. Usually at the end of a ride as I happen to be passing by going home. I just walk around with it as I shop. I’ve also gone into REI‘s but have always parked it up by the front somewhere. I never carry a lock.
Old 02-08-20, 12:52 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have brought my bike into a number of places, Home Depot and Trader Joe's seem to encourage it, but I don't take it in during busy times. I've taken into a nearby Ralph's maybe 3 times to grab 1 or 2 things, but they put a sign on the door that said no bikes inside. This store removed the bike parking a few years ago and I have seen several bikes sitting inside next to the door before which I think led to problems.
Old 02-08-20, 06:31 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
From what I have seen on the news about the homeless epidemic with streets as bathrooms, I would expect no business in those areas would allow any bike inside.
Think about it. Is that brown spot on the tire really mud?"
Sorry to be so negative, but in this case we have to look at the problem through the eyes of the business owner---and other customers.
Old 02-08-20, 08:11 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Mostly at the grocery store. I'll walk right in and start shopping. I'm used to the looks I get from the other customers, ALL the other customers.

I used to ride more before I moved. When I lived in Fort Collins Colorado, I brought my bike in the store all the time. I will admit, Fort Collins is a biking city so its to be expected.
Old 02-08-20, 08:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I rarely do, with the exception that may bike shops more or less expect bikes to come inside. Although, perhaps I'll still lock it up about 50% at bike shops.

I stopped at Universal Cycles up in Portland. As I was locking my bike up, someone came out to tell me to bring the bike inside. So, I did. They had a bike rack inside the shop (I don't think I locked it). I may have had my trailer, so it probably took up about 2 of the precious few spots.

On occasion I've been out without a lock, and then the response varies based on the place. I've tried drive-through windows, and have often been disappointed. For a country grocery store, I brought it inside and sat the bike near the door.

Once I stopped at the lumber store, and asked if they would watch my bike. They said just to take it with me (warm, dry, clean summer day). The next time I went back without a lock (somewhat deliberately), they refused entry. And, it was a somewhat local store too. Unfortunately, competitors are too inconvenient.

If it is a wet, miserable day and everything is caked with mud... nope, won't bring it in.

On occasions when I've brought the bike into buildings, I often carry it to the destination (no tracks).
Old 02-08-20, 08:42 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I never leave my bike unattended. If I need to go into a store I take the bike unless management says no.

When it comes to my bike on rides, I can't be bargained with. I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And I absolutely will not leave my bike unattended and out of my grasp until I'm dead.
Old 02-09-20, 01:20 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
From what I have seen on the news about the homeless epidemic with streets as bathrooms, I would expect no business in those areas would allow any bike inside.
Think about it. Is that brown spot on the tire really mud?"
Sorry to be so negative, but in this case we have to look at the problem through the eyes of the business owner---and other customers.
The same can be said about shoes.
Old 02-09-20, 06:30 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I've always owned bike locks and used them. I've never considered my own convenience to supersede that of others.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-09-20, 09:17 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Smile Good point

Originally Posted by katsup
The same can be said about shoes.
You certainly have a point there about the same problem with shoes. The businesses that survive in those areas must get an amazing level of tolerance.
Bottom line is that I don't desire to wheel a bike in a store. I've been lucky so far.
Old 02-10-20, 12:04 AM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not today I didn't

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Xg_Dfjd5PKqsjJ
Old 02-11-20, 08:54 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Only when I have my nice bike, and only certain stores.

I have no problem taking my bike inside bike shops (it's a bike shop!) or smaller shops where I know the owners. I took my bike in the small town food co-op a few times on my way home from group rides as well. I don't think they liked it so much, but...wheeling a bike around to pick up two items, at a time when most of town is in bed, doesn't seem to be too disruptive.
Old 02-29-20, 08:09 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Having recently moved to a town with stores, I do this every time. The hardware store and the Petco so-far. I keep a wire basket lashed to the rear rack, so the bicycle itself serves as my shopping cart.

I don't ask permission. Asking permission will just bring unnecessary attention to yourself, and could lead to a no-bicycles sign being put up before your next shopping trip.
Old 02-29-20, 11:15 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
In California we will be voting this upcoming Tuesday. For the last several years my precinct has voted at the local National Guard armory. I’ve always wheeled my bike right in. Heck, it’s a huge gym like building and they sometimes park trucks in there too. No problem. But this time I need to go to a local church to vote. We’ll see what happens. It’s already rubbing me the wrong way because the location is much less convenient, I mean the armory is right on our major North/South MUP. The church has several buildings of classrooms and offices so I suppose it will be in one of those. But I am nursing a fantasy of flinging open those fancy big doors on the church proper and bringing my bike right in! Just kidding, what would Jesus ride? BTW, there is a local bond measure on the ballot that includes money for local cycling infrastructure which I certainly support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.