Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Took the old 912 on a nice trip

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 07:58 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

About 57 miles each way and a lovely overnight.

Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-01-20, 09:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Excellent! Really nice touring setup you've got there.

How's the handling when you front load like that?
Old 06-01-20, 11:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
those Brooks panniers are beasts! Looks like it was good weather
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-01-20, 11:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by gugie
Excellent! Really nice touring setup you've got there.

How's the handling when you front load like that?
almost unbelievably good. The trail must be low or i got lucky or something. Only issues were headwinds out and headwinds back. If i had kept going northwest it would have been amazing the second day.
Old 06-01-20, 11:54 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
those Brooks panniers are beasts! Looks like it was good weather
yeah i could probably go with something smaller but i like putting tent and sleeping bag inside them.
Old 06-01-20, 12:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
almost unbelievably good. The trail must be low or i got lucky or something. Only issues were headwinds out and headwinds back. If i had kept going northwest it would have been amazing the second day.
Nice. I'm remembering Dfrost on last year's Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley commenting pretty much the same as you on his front loaded 912. Sidewinds buffeted his front end around a bit, but otherwise handling was fine.

I'm finding myself going back to the BF threads of tours past often and longingly lately. Your S24O has me thinking. By oneself, it's pretty easy to socially distance. I'm thinking 2-3 people riding together could manage that as well, and I'm actively thinking of doing just that sometime this summer.
Old 06-01-20, 01:03 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Looks like a nice trip, 52telecaster .

Nice. I'm remembering Dfrost on last year's Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley commenting pretty much the same as you on his front loaded 912. Sidewinds buffeted his front end around a bit, but otherwise handling.
Thanks for that photo, gugie ! I didn’t have a good single bike shot, and never took one all loaded up.

And they were significant side winds, somewhere around 15+ mph judging by the dead air when we were headed downwind. They acted on the front panniers/sails to push the front end laterally, but never made it steer differently. Good work on your part, Mark, with the rerake and pannier location.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 06-01-20, 02:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
yeah i could probably go with something smaller but i like putting tent and sleeping bag inside them.
Love it- thats my setup too.
I use rear bags on the front and a compression dry bag atop the rear rack. I too like the sleeping bag and tent in bags too, when possible.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-01-20, 02:25 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Love it- thats my setup too.
I use rear bags on the front and a compression dry bag atop the rear rack. I too like the sleeping bag and tent in bags too, when possible.
keeps em drier.
Old 06-01-20, 02:29 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Nice. I'm remembering Dfrost on last year's Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley commenting pretty much the same as you on his front loaded 912. Sidewinds buffeted his front end around a bit, but otherwise handling was fine.

I'm finding myself going back to the BF threads of tours past often and longingly lately. Your S24O has me thinking. By oneself, it's pretty easy to socially distance. I'm thinking 2-3 people riding together could manage that as well, and I'm actively thinking of doing just that sometime this summer.
this is my second overnighter in 2 weeks. Gf and i are going to mesa verde soon. Will probably do several later.
Honestly, if i had known how great 38s and a front load are i might never have bought my bob jackson. Im building wheels for an old falcon next and i took another frame to work and straightened it today. You must be inspiring me.
Old 06-01-20, 02:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

this is my second overnighter in 2 weeks. Gf and i are going to mesa verde soon. Will probably do several later.
Honestly, if i had known how great 38s and a front load are i might never have bought my bob jackson. Im building wheels for an old falcon next and i took another frame to work and straightened it today. You must be inspiring me.
Old frames
Fat tires
Can't lose

Old 06-01-20, 03:02 PM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Nice!! Looks like a great ride. Thanks for the photos
Likes For kermie: