Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Delivery bike horror story

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 02:00 PM
Surubi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When I was a teenager growing up in NY City I worked for a local vegetable store, waiting on customers but mostly delivering orders on a US bike of the time with a small front wheel and a large basket attached to the frame over it. One bitter cold day I was riding with a basket filled with several different orders when I suddenly found myself sliding along the pavement on my bottom. Oranges, grapefruits, cabbages, apples, etc were rolling randomly ahead of me. I stood up but could not determine why I had fallen. That became obvious when I looked at the bike. The seat tube had broken at the bottom bracket. I gathered the produce and pushed the bike several blocks back to the store. The store owner was sympathetic, but sort of hinted it was my fault, but could not figure out how I had done it..

I have repressed the process of figuring out whose produce was whose, but every time I see a delivery bike I relive that moment. AAAARGH!!!!!!
Likes For Surubi:
Old 08-05-20, 10:31 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
You know that is how any store owner would be. It must be your fault. The bike worked fine for 30 years before you broke it. It wasn't that 30 years of wear and tear weakened it to the point that you happened to be the unlucky one on it when it broke.
Old 08-05-20, 12:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Replace..
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...argo-frame-set

discontinued:

https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...pick-up-artist