Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on OPEN U.P. vs Warbird?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-09-20, 11:23 AM
basscadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I'm looking to buy a GRX di2 2x11 version of one of these bikes in the next week. Currently leaning towards the UP based on all the great things I've heard about it but, unlike the Warbird, haven't had a chance to ride one yet.

Warbird is about $300 more expensive as equipped. I think the options on the bikes are comparable, some things better on the UP, some better on the Salsa. Bonus for the Warbird is also that I can buy it from LBS but they'll take my money to work on any bike.

Curious what thoughts are on these two bikes? Ride 1-2 hours a day on trails near my home, mostly pavement but packed dirt, crushed rock, too. Nothing too gnarly. Need a great 1-bike solution that favors agility and speed over endurance/comfort.
Old 06-09-20, 12:31 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I only know the UP (I ride one since 2018) but they look pretty similar. What I like of my UP is that when I put road wheels and tires, I feel on a road bike. I think the short chain stays of the UP are significantly responsible for this. When I compare the geometry of both bikes, the main difference is the chain stays length (and consequently wheel base). But I never ride a Warbird do I don't know if I would feel the difference of the 1cm longer chain stays of the Warbird.

Hope this helps
Old 06-09-20, 01:20 PM
sallen73

Bikes: 1988 Ross Centaur, 2010 Fuji Connoisseur, 2015 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2017 Raleigh Carlton, 1987 Team Miyata, 2012 Soma Stanyan, 2015 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1984 Miyata 1000, [2009 Scattante SSR], [1988 Falcon Competitor 105], [2016 Soma Wolverine]

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If you are looking for speed and agility over endurance and comfort, why not the Warroad instead of the Warbird?
Old 06-09-20, 02:55 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
OPEN beacause of the really cool front brake mount . and the Wow factor
Old 06-15-20, 03:42 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by sallen73
If you are looking for speed and agility over endurance and comfort, why not the Warroad instead of the Warbird?
Agreed.
to be blunt - the warbird is rather sluggish. That is what you want for long endurance riding. But the UP is fairly agile (assuming it is like my bike which is very similar, and from what I have read on the UP).

I haven't ridden a warroad, but it looks to me like an attempt to make that style bike more responsive.

Sux if you can't ride both, but warbird and UP seem to me to be pretty different.
Old 06-15-20, 07:06 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by chas58
Agreed.
to be blunt - the warbird is rather sluggish. That is what you want for long endurance riding. But the UP is fairly agile (assuming it is like my bike which is very similar, and from what I have read on the UP).

I haven't ridden a warroad, but it looks to me like an attempt to make that style bike more responsive.

Sux if you can't ride both, but warbird and UP seem to me to be pretty different.
My local bike shop had a Warbird but not Warroad available to ride and after riding the Warbird....I have to agree. I suppose I am not the intended consumer of the Warbird but I was struck by how different it was from my Checkpoint. I don't want to use the word dull but it just felt that way to me. I'm much more into 1-2 hour rides at full beans than 6+ hour slogs with heavy bags and cr*p festooned to my bike. I don't even take water with me 99.9% of the time.

Regardless, I think I've decided to shift my focus to UP, UPPER, and am now even looking to bikes like the Domane SLR and Canyon Ultimate with the widest tires possible since my cycling tends to be 80/20 in favor of (rough) paved trails and hard-packed gravel and dirt.

Last edited by basscadet; 06-15-20 at 07:10 PM.
Likes For basscadet:
Old 06-15-20, 07:20 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The Allied Allroad might be worth considering as well. Pretty strong review from CyclingTips last year.
Old 06-15-20, 09:33 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
I'd go the OPEN route... Or, if you want to save a bit of money and still get a killer bike, go with an Ibis Hakka MX. That's what I did... Been very happy thus far.
Old 06-16-20, 11:54 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by basscadet
...Regardless, I think I've decided to shift my focus to UP, UPPER, and am now even looking to bikes like the Domane SLR and Canyon Ultimate with the widest tires possible since my cycling tends to be 80/20 in favor of (rough) paved trails and hard-packed gravel and dirt.
For what it is worth, I loved the UP Open on paper and the reviews, but not the price. I ended up with a Canyon Inflite as it seemed to have similar geometry and reviews. Its insanely quick and agile. On acceleration, it really pops in ways the Warbird just doesn't. The handling loves carving a hard turn, although it doesn't like a fast sweeping loose downhill turn. Its really like a high end road bike that can take 40mm tires (I go up to 54mm in the front). Still, the rear end of this bike is so compliant I kept checking my rear tire to see if I was going flat for the first couple weeks I had this bike.
Old 06-16-20, 12:51 PM
basscadet

Chas thanks for the suggestion - that bike looks fantastic. I might have to play the patience game here as they don't have any etap or di2 bikes in stock that will fit me but I love the price point. Plus, those paint schemes (that mint color!) are fantastic.
Old 06-16-20, 09:07 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I rode a Warird for 2 years, owned a Renegade, a Revolt, and now have been on an Open U.P. for over two years. The U.P has changed my riding over two years like no other bike has. It is perfect. Compliant whiLe stiff, amazigly predictable when decending on very fast loose rubble and all the while comfortable and faster than anything elsi I have ever ridden. It is some sort of black magic. I have put 50 miles on a Diverge, test ridden a Topstone and a Checkpoint. No comparison.. The Open is expensive, but cheaper than buying 2 or 3 lesseer bikes and still being unsatisfied with them. Get the best and stop hoping something cheaper is somehow better.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 06-19-20, 06:58 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I rode a Warird for 2 years, owned a Renegade, a Revolt, and now have been on an Open U.P. for over two years. The U.P has changed my riding over two years like no other bike has. It is perfect. Compliant whiLe stiff, amazigly predictable when decending on very fast loose rubble and all the while comfortable and faster than anything elsi I have ever ridden. It is some sort of black magic. I have put 50 miles on a Diverge, test ridden a Topstone and a Checkpoint. No comparison.. The Open is expensive, but cheaper than buying 2 or 3 lesseer bikes and still being unsatisfied with them. Get the best and stop hoping something cheaper is somehow better.
OPEN should be paying you because your review was enough to put me over the edge to pull the trigger on one.
Old 06-22-20, 12:36 PM
chas58

Cool. Looking forward to pictures. One of the most ecstatic reviews I read here was for the Open. Still, that bike's geometry is pretty darn close to my Cross bike.
Old 07-09-20, 07:08 PM
basscadet

So I only have about ~30 miles on the bike so far but I am absolutely enamored with the bike. I thought the Checkpoint was a "roadier" gravel bike...man...it seems like a boat compared to the Open UP.

I am so, so thrilled with it and Contender Bicycles did a great job helping get the fit just right for me. Ultegra Di2, Zipp seatpost and bar, Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 wheels wearing 35mm Panaracers set up tubeless. It's fast, communicative, everything I wanted. Looking forward to getting second set of wheels with road tires to see if this bike is truly the jack of all trades.

Likes For basscadet:
Old 07-10-20, 08:05 AM
chas58

THat is just beautiful. You are going to be amazed at that bike with some 32mm GP5000s. Perfect bike for two wheelsets.

I like the Checkpoint, but that bike is basically designed for backpacking. A lot different from the bike you bought.
Old 07-10-20, 03:41 PM
basscadet

Thanks chas, I think 32mm GP5000's are absolutely the way to go once my bank account recovers
Old 07-10-20, 05:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
That is the same model and color I have and you will love how it adapts from nimble road bike to excellent but nimble endurance bike. For road I use 35mm Rene Here tires on it, skip the 32s. It took me a few sets of tires (started with 32s) but found the magic road tire for it is the 35mm Rene Herse (Compass). I have Reynolds carbon wheels and sometimes run a Lauf fork on it when I am out for a day on really crappy potholed stuff in central PA. It costs more, but absolutely worth what extra you pay as you expand your riding. Warbird is a great bike too but Open beats it out if you a re a rider that can appreciate the advantages.
Old 07-10-20, 07:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
That is the same model and color I have and you will love how it adapts from nimble road bike to excellent but nimble endurance bike. For road I use 35mm Rene Here tires on it, skip the 32s. It took me a few sets of tires (started with 32s) but found the magic road tire for it is the 35mm Rene Herse (Compass). I have Reynolds carbon wheels and sometimes run a Lauf fork on it when I am out for a day on really crappy potholed stuff in central PA. It costs more, but absolutely worth what extra you pay as you expand your riding. Warbird is a great bike too but Open beats it out if you a re a rider that can appreciate the advantages.
Excellent tires, worth the high price.