Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need a parts list--Miyatas.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I need a parts list--Miyatas.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 07:03 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Rear wheels

I have a 1987 Miyata 112 with a bent rear rim and a 1990 Miyata Country Runner ATB. The 112 frame cleaned up really nice and I'd like it to be my trainer bike next year. The Country Runner ATB showed up without a rear wheel.

I need to replace both wheels. I can pull the cassette from the 112 wheel, but is there any guide on what wheel I should get to replace it? (I'm just getting a new set, honestly.) The Miyata catalogue says it had an Araya SP-30 27x1.25 The Country runner originally had a Shimano 300LX Hyperglide 7 speed cassette and it (still) has a biopace crank. The wheel was an Araya VP-20.

What do I need to get to replace both of these? What does a rim normally come with/without? With how long it's taking to receive online orders these days, I'd like to get everything in one order and be able to complete the bikes in one shot instead of getting 90% of what I need and then have to wait another several weeks to get whatever I'm missing. Even my LBS is saying they've started running out of certain parts.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 06-15-20 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 01:18 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
FWIW, that 112 looks to be in excellent condition!

A “rim” would be just that - not yet built into a complete wheel.

Wheels would complete, but without a freewheel or cassette, may not include quick release skewers, and certainly no tires, tubes, or rim tape, unless stated otherwise. You should check dropout inside spacing for the rear wheels.

If you’re just looking for the 112 as a trainer bike, then look for a 27” replacement. Do you have a bike co-op nearby? They’d be the best and least expensive source. That would also be the best place to complete both bikes, as they are likely to have everything in one place, as well as the tools you need. Check of course to see what their status is during these strange times.

Velomine comes up often as selling wheels for excellent prices. I’m a frequent customer of Universal Cycles in Portland, OR, and they have another location in Lancaster, PA. Haven’t used them during the pandemic shutdown, but they’ve always been extremely prompt, great customer service, and huge selection.

https://www.universalcycles.com/index.php#

Good luck trying to get everything you need in one order. Just about every build I’ve ever done, including many at the on-profit where I volunteer, involves starting with the big bits, then realizing smaller pieces are needed, like new cables, brake pads, cable ferrules and finishing caps. I’ve already mentioned items needed for fully functioning wheel assemblies. Then there’s possibly brake lever hoods, if not complete levers, bar tape, bar plugs, finishing tape (I use electrical tape). That’s why many of us have pretty well-stocked home bike “shops”.

Be sure to get the correct diameter seatpost(s). The catalogs don’t indicate that information that I could find, but C&V folks could help. A shop or co-op would have a seatpost “sizer” to help.

Maybe you could but the 112 and Country Runner side-by-side with one of your existing bikes and create a list of what’s missing from the Miyatas?

Last edited by Dfrost; 06-15-20 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added final suggestion.