Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 1000 vs Panasonic DX 1000 vs Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 08:23 PM
DRealist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in contact with a few sellers of bikes. One is a Trek 1000, the second is a Panasonic DX 1000 and the last is a Schwinn Le Tour. The Trek is listed at $200 and is really close to me. I am not sure exactly what year it is, but I think it is late 80's or early 90's. The Panasonic is listed at $100 and I am not sure it will fit me and am also not sure what year it is, but I am guessing it is from the late 80's. The Schwinn is listed at $100 as well and is a 1988. I got some info on this forum about the Schwinn and it seems that people feel it is a good bike. I don't know much about the Panasonic or the Trek. Are any of these good deals? Which bike is the best? Here are the links:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/3828509450.html
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/3849625360.html
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/3836982150.html
Old 06-04-13, 08:53 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Well, for starters, You're either going to fit the trek and the schwinn or the Panasonic, not all three- the sizes are pretty different between those groups.

Is that enough to make the decision for you?

They're all solid options.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 06-04-13, 09:02 PM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Well, for starters, You're either going to fit the trek and the schwinn or the Panasonic, not all three- the sizes are pretty different between those groups.

Is that enough to make the decision for you?

They're all solid options.
So, the Trek and the Schwinn are the same size right? I thought the Panasonic was smaller, but I was thinking maybe I could make it work. Were they all on the same level?
Old 06-04-13, 09:05 PM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I didn't think about it until just now, but are the Panasonic and the Schwinn the same bike? I remember reading somewhere that Panasonic use to build bikes for Schwinn and it is interesting how they both have colors fading from white to dark (green for the panasonic and blue for the schwinn).
Old 06-04-13, 09:50 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many $100 bikes do you plan on asking advice about?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 06-04-13, 10:10 PM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the Panasonic and the Schwinn. The Trek is $200. Sorry about asking a lot of questions, but a google search doesn't really answer anything. If I google a newer cheap bike tons of info pops up, but an older bike nothing really comes up. I guess it makes sense because some of these bikes out date the search engines. I just want to avoid the "you paid that much for that?!?!?!?!"response that you tend to get when you buy something that you have no knowledge about its value.
Old 06-04-13, 11:37 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
C&V is the place to be.
Old 06-05-13, 12:49 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trek is probably the best value. The 1000s were a fairly good model with decent components. The Panasonic is a decent bike for $100 and so is the Schwinn. I'd take the Panasonic and negotiate down as a second option, the schwinn will hold higher value because of the name.

https://goo.gl/Wo1Rl some info on a 1990 trek 1000. I believe it's a 89-90 model based on the paint and decals.
Old 06-05-13, 06:17 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
bikepedia has info on lots of old bikes, as does vintagetrek.com, vintagecannondale, etc.

Of those bikes,the Trek 1000 is the only one I have ridden. Thermally bonded aluminum. Very nice ride. I had a 1988 Trek 1000 up until 2005. Be aware that old bikes sometimes need lots of work and you have the chance of buying something with worn out components. Just replacing the chain, freewheel / cassette, cables and tires could double or triple the cost of the bikes.
Old 06-05-13, 08:49 AM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceHankins
The trek is probably the best value. The 1000s were a fairly good model with decent components. The Panasonic is a decent bike for $100 and so is the Schwinn. I'd take the Panasonic and negotiate down as a second option, the schwinn will hold higher value because of the name.

https://goo.gl/Wo1Rl some info on a 1990 trek 1000. I believe it's a 89-90 model based on the paint and decals.
Thanks for your help. I am thinking of offering $150 for the Trek and $70 or $80 for the Panasonic. If they both accept, in your opinion would the Trek's be worth $70 to $80 more than the Panasonic?
Old 06-05-13, 08:51 AM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
bikepedia has info on lots of old bikes, as does vintagetrek.com, vintagecannondale, etc.

Of those bikes,the Trek 1000 is the only one I have ridden. Thermally bonded aluminum. Very nice ride. I had a 1988 Trek 1000 up until 2005. Be aware that old bikes sometimes need lots of work and you have the chance of buying something with worn out components. Just replacing the chain, freewheel / cassette, cables and tires could double or triple the cost of the bikes.
Thanks for the heads up, that is what I keep hearing. That is why I was thinking about buying a cheap new bike at first. I have no clue what I should be looking for and I am afraid I will get a bike that needs a lot of work.
Old 06-05-13, 09:31 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to bust your balls too hard there...but it seems like you've asked about 15 or more $100-$200 bikes over the past month.

1) They are all very similar and most would work. 2) C&V would provide more info. 3) The biggest factor in their value will be the condition, which is very hard for folks here to tell. 4) Fit is huge as well.

I do wish you the best and hope you find something soon that gets you out riding. Do you have a bike co-op in your area? Those can be a nice compromise between buying new and buying used on C-List. My first bike was a Trek 1000. It was about 3 years old at the time (~10 years ago) and I paid $275. I actually made a few bucks when I sold it a few years and a couple thousand miles later.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 06-05-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-05-13, 11:17 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the trek if its in good shape
Old 06-05-13, 12:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12888 Post(s)
Liked 7,805 Times in 4,142 Posts
the Pana's my fave outta the bunch. Trek's a little harsh, but I've only ridden those with 20s and 23s, and lost a few fillings. Maybe not so bad if you can cram some 25s in there.

But that Panasonic is not just small, it's TINY. Must be a 48 or so.
Old 06-05-13, 05:10 PM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Sorry to bust your balls too hard there...but it seems like you've asked about 15 or more $100-$200 bikes over the past month.

1) They are all very similar and most would work. 2) C&V would provide more info. 3) The biggest factor in their value will be the condition, which is very hard for folks here to tell. 4) Fit is huge as well.

I do wish you the best and hope you find something soon that gets you out riding. Do you have a bike co-op in your area? Those can be a nice compromise between buying new and buying used on C-List. My first bike was a Trek 1000. It was about 3 years old at the time (~10 years ago) and I paid $275. I actually made a few bucks when I sold it a few years and a couple thousand miles later.

Yeah your right, I forgot I started a thread on here with that list of bikes. I thought that may have been another forum I was on. Sorry for bombarding the forum with questions.

I searched the web for co-op's in my area and it appears that there aren't any in North Jersey where I live, but I am sure there are some in NYC and I read that there may be one in Central Jersey.
Old 06-05-13, 05:12 PM
DRealist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
the Pana's my fave outta the bunch. Trek's a little harsh, but I've only ridden those with 20s and 23s, and lost a few fillings. Maybe not so bad if you can cram some 25s in there.

But that Panasonic is not just small, it's TINY. Must be a 48 or so.
Wow I was way off, I thought it would be just a little small, not that small.