Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it acceptable to call someone a Fat Bastard

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 10:15 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did a group ride on the weekend and the leader kept on referring to the Clydesdales as Fat Bastards which got a laugh from a few people including the Clydesdales so he kept on doing it.

I'm no longer a Clydesdale but I took offense but didn't say anything. What would you do in that situation?
Old 09-29-15, 10:33 PM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a lively group you ride with!
Old 09-29-15, 10:38 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eh... nothing wrong with a little ribbing.
Old 09-29-15, 10:40 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Were they wearing their Fat Bastards cycling jerseys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
51tg7FM4AEL__SX300_.jpg (19.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-29-15, 11:09 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I did a group ride on the weekend and the leader kept on referring to the Clydesdales as Fat Bastards which got a laugh from a few people including the Clydesdales so he kept on doing it.

I'm no longer a Clydesdale but I took offense but didn't say anything. What would you do in that situation?
If he thinks of himself as a serious cyclist, I'd assume he is not fat and comes in at a weight of less than 160. So, if I'm a clyde weighing in at well over 240, I go right up to his face and call him a "little wuss" and give out a hysterical laugh. I keep doing it until he physically assaults me (which I would welcome) or cries like a baby. We'll see who walks away from that encounter feeling embarrassed and intimidated. It's not a good idea to call anyone something inappropriate no matter how well you know them.
Old 09-29-15, 11:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Like they say in the old westerns, "Smile when you say that". It's all in the delivery and circumstances. What may seem offensive can equally be good natured banter among friends. I wouldn't worry about this kind of "insult" unless it was directed at me, then it would depend on who said it an under which circumstances.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-30-15, 03:10 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Like they say in the old westerns, "Smile when you say that". It's all in the delivery and circumstances. What may seem offensive can equally be good natured banter among friends. I wouldn't worry about this kind of "insult" unless it was directed at me, then it would depend on who said it an under which circumstances.
Everything is contextual. When I'm struggling up a climb and a friend goes past me saying "come on, move, you fat bastard" that is fine. If I didn't know him, however, I'd beat him to death with my frame pump. And of course, if he were a friend of mine he'd know that I'm not sensitive about being too fat for this sport. A stranger would have no such awareness.

People with real weight problems mostly don't need telling that they're fat. Making a joke of it may seem harmless, but it ain't funny to them. People in leadership positions, even positions as informal as that of ride leader, absolutely shouldn't do it.
Old 09-30-15, 04:14 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the correct response is "GET IN MY BELLY"...

But like other have said, it's going to be very contextual..
Old 09-30-15, 04:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,559 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I keep doing it until he physically assaults me (which I would welcome) or cries like a baby.
And what if he simply ignores you like I am going to do from now on?
Old 09-30-15, 05:31 AM
NYSteve

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from a fat b@stard,

It's really contextual, are you trying to be funny, great I love to laugh. I can laugh at rotund self.

If it's someone trying real hard to be a jerk, then I am not ok with it.

When I go on rides with my brothers and nephews, we wear "team tubby tuba's" shirts.
Old 09-30-15, 06:17 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
I have a tshirt from fat cyclist blog that says team fatty on it, so yea why not.

Old 09-30-15, 06:50 AM
BadBurrito

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, personally, I think it's ok for a person to refer to themselves as a fat b@st@ard (saying it or wearing - it's you saying it about you), but I don't think referring to someone else that way is ok.

The fact that you even posted the question, indicates to me, that deep down your troubled by the comment, which is to say, it wasn't ok with you either.

just my 2 cents.
Old 09-30-15, 07:06 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BadBurrito
The fact that you even posted the question, indicates to me, that deep down your troubled by the comment, which is to say, it wasn't ok with you either.
The fact that the OP expressly stated he was offended indicates to me that it wasn't ok with him.
Old 09-30-15, 07:13 AM
Inpd

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The fact that the OP expressly stated he was offended indicates to me that it wasn't ok with him.
Im no longer fat, but was offended in that I felt bad for the Clydesdale guys.

I have the uttermost respective for overweight people who take the effort and courage to do something about it.
Old 09-30-15, 07:49 AM
radiored

Bikes: 2015 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now I'm definitely getting one of these shirts!

(I BEAT ANOREXIA)
Old 09-30-15, 08:03 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Inpd
Im no longer fat, but was offended in that I felt bad for the Clydesdale guys.
I think you missed the point of my comment entirely, which was that, in light of the express statement, there was no need to draw any conclusions from the asking of the question.
Old 09-30-15, 08:09 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends who's calling who a Fat Bastard. If it's a fellow Clyde who I know and we rib each other frequently, that's one thing. Some skinny weight weenie I've never met, and I might have an entirely different reaction. I'd guess these were long time friends just ribbing each other.
Old 09-30-15, 08:51 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I was 390 pounds and 6'3" and kept throwing a 28 spoke wheel out of true (the factory rear wheel on the Raleigh Revenio which is an overbuilt wheel). I told the bike shop co-owner/manager that I needed a better wheel with a higher spoke count, and he said that the wheel I had would be okay. I told him that me having to drive 30 minutes to his shop every other week to true the wheel was not going to work, and that it was okay to call me a fat bastard. We had a laugh and he was able to get away from the politically correct trying to not offend and lose a customer and sold me a nice 32 spoke wheel that has given me many miles.

He also made me a heck of a deal on an Orbea Orca in a 60cm frame and was able to discuss how that bike was made to tolerate us larger riders. Heck we rib each other now as I am not too far behind him on a fitness level, and we challenge each other on rides.

I know I am a fat bastard, but I am changing that situation. I didn't get this way overnight (took about 15 years to go from 227 to 400 pounds), and I won't get skinny overnight (but I am down from my March 2014 weight of 400lbs to an average of 360lbs, and while my weight isn't moving much my clothes are fitting much looser). One of my first jerseys is the Cranky Bastard Bicycle Club
Old 09-30-15, 08:58 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends.

Was the leader a Fat Bastard? If so, then it is OK, as he is calling himself one, too.

If not, then he should call them clydes or clydesdales.

On the next ride, tell the leader that you are not comfortable with the profanity and that particular name calling, and that the proper term for larger cyclists is Clyde or Clydesdales. If you want to prove a point, call him a Fred.

GH
Old 09-30-15, 09:19 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Fat jokes are really just the "low hanging fruit" of jokes.
Old 09-30-15, 10:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bassjones
It depends who's calling who a Fat Bastard. If it's a fellow Clyde who I know and we rib each other frequently, that's one thing. Some skinny weight weenie I've never met, and I might have an entirely different reaction. I'd guess these were long time friends just ribbing each other.
Yep. Like others have said, it's all about context, just like the use of some other words/terms I don't think I need to mention specifically.
Old 09-30-15, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Fat jokes are really just the "low hanging fruit" of jokes.
Assuming you are using "jokes" in the "make fun of" or "belittle" sense, you are putting the bunny in the hat. It's entirely possible that they were all friends and understood that no harm was intended. I have a friend who I grew up around the way with and with whom I ride and socialize sometimes. We have both called each other things that I would likely get points for if I were to mention them here.

As the OP noted, the people to whom the term was directed all laughed. That at least suggests they were cool with it. Maybe they had referred to themselves as fat bastards on previous occasions and the leader was simply continuing what they all understood to be good-natured banter.
Old 09-30-15, 11:10 AM
bnb69

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess that I would be tempted to respond to him that, " Unlike you, my parents were married. Please don't refer to me as a bastard." Losing my sense of humor as I age.
Old 09-30-15, 11:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
As I said earlier, it's context and tone. But there's a bit of another aspect.

Sometimes what's taken as friendly humor stops being so with excessive repetition. So that also plays into the general context.

But if anything said offends or bothers you, you don't have to seethe over it. You have a mouth and can speak up. The solution in situations like this is open dialogue. You can approach it gently enough by saying "it was funny once, but I think you're overworking it and it's not as funny any more" or something similar. A normal person will understand and cut back or tone it down, which should be OK with all parties.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-30-15, 11:27 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is never OK to be cruel to anyone. If you don't know everyone on the ride, and can't be sure, you should not speak that way. Just my 2cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.