Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with LifeLine water-proof panniers?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-19-19, 12:59 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Does anyone have experience with these panniers?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod183191

I am looking for a set of panniers to compliment my MEC Aquanots (below but discontinued):
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-3...3-46L-Panniers

My intent is to continue to use the Aquanots for the rear and add a new water-proof pannier for the front when needed. They would be mounted to this rack:
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...-rack/p/14955/

The Lifeline panniers look very nice and clearly are "inspired" by the Ortliebs. The price is good and the, limited, reviews look good.

Any thoughts on these? Or should I skip right over and get a set of Ortliebs? In this case I'd probably go with the smaller Sport Roller model.

Thank you

Edit:
I am aware there are new Aquanot models available but I've read too many negative reviews on them.
Old 11-19-19, 01:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Well....For one thing, the top attachments are not laterally adjustable like Ortliebs. If you have big dogs like me and have to slide the bags back a bit not having lateral adjustment could cause conflicts with rack tubing, possibly causing one to have to position them farther back than is necessary.

And call me a cynic if you will, but those reviews sound fake despite the verified purchaser claim, especially the first one. You have been using Ortliebs for several years, love them but you don't like the price? Why spend money on something new at all? Just keep using the product you love so much. In short, it sounds like a review calculated to sway the decision of someone who is considering Ortliebs.

Also note that, from the Q&A, the price is for one, not a pair.
Old 11-19-19, 01:26 PM
Wiggle

Thanks for the feedback.

I too didn't have complete confidence in that review but it could be legit.

And yes I saw the pricing was per individual. Per pair it comes out to only about 60% of the cost for me to the get the (smaller) Ortliebs though.

I don't mind spending the money on the Ortliebs if it came to that but these looked interesting, I also like that front pocket.
Old 11-19-19, 02:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have never seen the lifeline ones in person, but if I am interpreting correctly how the lower hooks work, I have a pair of panniers with a similar lower hook and that hook can't hook onto a horizontal bar, designed to hook on to something oriented close to vertical. That can be trouble for some racks.

Agree with Indyfabz that the upper hooks that are fixed in place might not be in the right place. I have some shopping panniers like that and wish that there was more adjustability.
Old 11-20-19, 06:30 AM
indyfabz

I know lots of people love Ortlieb rollers, but take a look at the Sport Packers. No need to unroll and re-roll while on the road. While I generally try not to use the front panniers for anything I regularly need on the road, my pump and rain pants go in the left front. Each one also has and internal divider that creates the perfect space for storing flat things like maps and/or cue sheets, and a medium sized mesh pocket I use for my pen and spare batteries for my headlamp.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-20-19, 07:48 AM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know lots of people love Ortlieb rollers, but take a look at the Sport Packers. No need to unroll and re-roll while on the road. While I generally try not to use the front panniers for anything I regularly need on the road, my pump and rain pants go in the left front. Each one also has and internal divider that creates the perfect space for storing flat things like maps and/or cue sheets, and a medium sized mesh pocket I use for my pen and spare batteries for my headlamp.
I was trying to determine best option between the rollers and the packer. My MECs are bucket top which I like, easier to get into them quickly. With these being in the front it wouldn't be as critical but would be a nice option.

I am picturing using the front panniers for items I generally won't need during the day but the extra pocket/divider sounds good too. Is the useable space similar between the roller and the packer?
Old 11-20-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wiggle
Is the useable space similar between the roller and the packer?
Never used a roller.
Old 11-20-19, 08:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
personally I think its worth spending the money on Ortliebs, given my 25+ years of using them and their general robustness, specifically the mounting system, which is excellent and my original 1993 ones are still working fine (mounting system)

as per rollers vs packers, I use both and I woiuld say that the two advantages for the rollers is how you can put weird long things in them and clip the tops together , leaving space for said long thnig sticking out,
and two, the small strap and latch in the top middle of the pannier is handy for stickig your rain jacket under when rain is approaching, or an extra water bottle or whatever. Ive done this often on long trips when space was tight, like after a food store purchase of lots of stuff, or my rain jacket to save a few seconds before rain comes that you know is coming, or during one of those "on off" rain days, handy to just lean down and stick rolled up jacket under the strap.

I do believe howeever the packer fronts are larger, 30l vs 25 for rollers.

anyway, given the amount to spend more, I think its worith going with ortliebs for the long run.
Old 11-20-19, 09:07 AM
Wiggle

With the Ortlieb Rollers:
Is there a meaningful difference between the "Free" and the "Classic" models?

I like the look of the classic in Asphalt colour the best and it's slightly lower in cost. The only thing I'm seeing different is that the "Free" is PVC free?
Old 11-20-19, 09:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
..., the small strap and latch in the top middle of the pannier is handy for stickig your rain jacket under when rain is approaching, or an extra water bottle or whatever. Ive done this often on long trips when space was tight, like after a food store purchase of lots of stuff, or my rain jacket to save a few seconds before rain comes that you know is coming, or during one of those "on off" rain days, handy to just lean down and stick rolled up jacket under the strap.
Yup. On trips where I expected rain, I always put my rain gear on top of my front panniers under the strap. You could easily get to it in seconds, being up front you could see if anything was working loose and about to fall out.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-20-19, 12:44 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Does ...
You should research and consider Ortlieb Roller City panniers. They are essentially Roller Classics a. without shoulder straps or interior pocket, b. without the extra material needed to overload Classics, and c. use older style of rack hooks (QL1) which were on Classics for over a decade. Rear City bags also lack the strap needed to secure a rack-top Ortlieb bag as pictured in the preceding post. City bags are lighter in weight and lower in price than Classic bags. A quick check of some Euro bike shops (where you will find the best deals on Ortlieb bags and Tubus racks even with additional shipping cost to CA) shows a pair of Front City go for 70 euro and Rear City are 75, or about $160 before shipping for 4 bags (half the price of Classics in the USA).

Ortlieb used to have a chart with specs of all panniers on one page, which is no longer available. Here is an old post on this topic, followed by individual product spec pages:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php?p=18446974&postcount=25

https://www.ortlieb.com/downloads/da...oller_city.pdf

https://www.ortlieb.com/downloads/da...oller_city.pdf

https://www.ortlieb.com/downloads/da...er_classic.pdf

https://www.ortlieb.com/downloads/da...er_classic.pdf
Likes For seeker333:
Old 11-20-19, 04:18 PM
djb

re the City version, good point seeker to bring them up, good value for money, just lacking the mid strap and the clip attachment system is slightly diff.
Front citys are about 165 canadjun clams here

but are lighter than other models, no inner zippered pocket, which I use, but not the end of the world I guess, especially given the price
Likes For djb:
Old 11-21-19, 08:49 AM
Wiggle

Thanks guys for all the input. I'll shell out the few extra bucks and get one of the Ortlieb models.
Old 11-23-19, 04:08 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Never used a roller.
My sincere condolences.... (humour)

I went with Rollers simply because I knew some one who toured with them who took expensive camera gear.
Turned out to be a good choice for me but doesn't mean something else wouldn't have worked.

Saying that, I would buy them again if something happened to the set I've now had since around 2011, which still don't leak.

Last edited by rifraf; 11-23-19 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 04:16 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. I'll shell out the few extra bucks and get one of the Ortlieb models.
Much cheaper than having to buy twice.
Buy once and buy right if you can help it.
Old 11-24-19, 05:43 PM
Wiggle

Got a set of Sport Roller Classics on the way . Think they will do nicely.
Old 11-24-19, 07:34 PM
djb

Got a set of Sport Roller Classics on the way . Think they will do nicely.
its a shame that you were not able to order them from yourself ;-)

but seriously folks, use common sense taking care of them and there's a good chance they will still be in use in 2045
Old 12-26-19, 03:33 PM
Wiggle

Got the Ortliebs as a Christmas gift
They seem really nice. I like that the mounting clips are adjustable. After tweaking the placement of the hooks and bottom piece and adding 10mm spacer I was able to get a perfect fit on the lower portion of my Treks Bontrager front rack. Still have access to top rack and weight is a little lower to ground.
Think I will be quite happy with these. Thanks everyone for steering me this way.

​​​​

Old 12-26-19, 09:14 PM
djb

And now for something completely different

do be careful of your pump on the frame. The screw on bit that you unscrew to reverse the inner thingee to go from Schrader to presta can loosen over time from vibrations, and you'll lose both parts.
I luckily had this happen in side a pannier and was able to retrieve them.

just a heads up.
I'm also not keen on opportunistic theft grab of an exposed pump.

enjoy the Christmas gift for many years to come.
Old 12-27-19, 03:33 PM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by djb
And now for something completely different

do be careful of your pump on the frame. The screw on bit that you unscrew to reverse the inner thingee to go from Schrader to presta can loosen over time from vibrations, and you'll lose both parts.
I luckily had this happen in side a pannier and was able to retrieve them.

just a heads up.
I'm also not keen on opportunistic theft grab of an exposed pump.

enjoy the Christmas gift for many years to come.
Thanks for the input re: the pump. I've had the pump for many years and luckily the pump fitting adaptor has never unscrewed in that time but I keep an eye on it. Also, the pump is safe because currently I only park the bike in my garage or my cubicle at work

Last edited by Wiggle; 12-27-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 03:55 PM
djb

mine probably loosened over a loooooong time, so I check the tightness once in a blue moon and its always ok. Like I said, the one time the parts came off I was lucky. More to keep in mind if ever on a trip and would take away the use of the pump.
Old 01-05-20, 04:03 PM
Brittney

Bikes: Marin Nicasio

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey,

What is the front rack in that phone?
Is it a rear rack repurposed?
Old 01-05-20, 06:38 PM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by Brittney
Hey,

What is the front rack in that phone?
Is it a rear rack repurposed?
Bontrager Carry-forward rack.
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...-rack/p/14955/

It came stock on my 520. Honestly, I love that rack. Quite sturdy.