Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 10:24 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts

Are prices for vintage steel roadbikes going down? For example, a nice 1980 original Richard Sachs 10 spee complete with campy grupo recently sold on ebay for $765. True just one sale but it was a 10 day auction not buy-it-now.
We know condition is king but how important is flashy paint job? The bike was a maroon brown with yellow decals. But it got me thinking, has the value for old road bikes decreased over the past decade? If so, why?
Is everyone now so accustomed to carbon fiber and integrated shifters, and definitely not down-tube shifters, not to mention non-aero brakes, and the inferior freewheel, 27" rims and don't even talk about tubulars. I'm NOT dissing these bikes. I have one - an 83 Trek 630 - albeit with 700c wheels & better brakes. I know that the most coveted examples - classic italian race frames, ornate lugs and the like will always command high prices but has the overall market softened?
Has technology & taste made classic roadbikes built in the 1970s and 80s and similar (like steel 26" mtn bikes) the way of the film camera? Cool but not what most people with money to spend on bikes are going to pay too much for? Maybe the folks who fancy these bikes already have one or two? People are into many different types of bikes today, road, gravel, mtn, fixie, cross that the room for 10 speeds has shrunk? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Biketiger; 01-17-20 at 10:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-17-20, 10:33 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Laws of supply and demand.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-17-20, 10:34 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
it appears that way to me, especially noticeable in the past 8 months or so. There have been a few threads that led in this direction. I wonder if the market is saturated, the 'fixie' thing has run it's course, and the gravel bike has taken over.
Old 01-17-20, 10:50 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Laws of supply and demand.
Demand has definitely shifted. A bike made in 1980 is now 40 years old. And unlike cars of that era - there's still a lot of them around. So the supply is there. Why is the demand different? For decades, 60's thru the 80's the technology gradually improved but was not revolutionary. They were all steel bikes, all had cassettes and dt shifters, cages, etc We've gone through many major technology shifts since. A classic Raleigh roadbike built in 1970 is now 50 years old. Is vintage becoming antique?

Last edited by Biketiger; 01-17-20 at 10:54 PM. Reason: !
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 01-17-20, 10:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Are prices for vintage steel roadbikes going down? For example, a nice 1980 original Richard Sachs 10 spee complete with campy grupo recently sold on ebay for $765. True just one sale but it was a 10 day auction not buy-it-now.
We know condition is king but how important is flashy paint job? The bike was a maroon brown with yellow decals. But it got me thinking, has the value for old road bikes decreased over the past decade? If so, why?
Is everyone now so accustomed to carbon fiber and integrated shifters, and definitely not down-tube shifters, not to mention non-aero brakes, and the inferior freewheel, 27" rims and don't even talk about tubulars. I'm NOT dissing these bikes. I have one - an 83 Trek 630 - albeit with 700c wheels & better brakes. I know that the most coveted examples - classic italian race frames, ornate lugs and the like will always command high prices but has the overall market softened?
Has technology & taste made classic roadbikes built in the 1970s and 80s and similar (like steel 26" mtn bikes) the way of the film camera? Cool but not what most people with money to spend on bikes are going to pay too much for? Maybe the folks who fancy these bikes already have one or two? People are into many different types of bikes today, road, gravel, mtn, fixie, cross that the room for 10 speeds has shrunk? What do you guys think?
Well if look at sold auctions on efbay all the other RS frames and bikes are holding their own just fine. A new 2019 frame sold for 5k so.......

That being said, many other iconic, coveted, rare, higher end bikes that used to bring good $$$ do not these days.

The one you point out was imo an anomally. Nothing wrong with the color, likely root beer brown, very popular back in the day as were the yellow decals that are on it.

That was a very sharp bike, and a smokin deal.

In general all or most of the things you cite have something to do with it, its a fickle thing at best to begin with, getting more so by the day currently.
Old 01-17-20, 11:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

The bike in question

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Sac...p2047675.l2557
Old 01-17-20, 11:14 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
$230 shipping factored into that price. That's pretty steep compared to most.
Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 01-17-20, 11:28 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
the generations that can appreciate bikes of the 70s and 80s are now in their 40s 50s and 60s. collections are downsizing and more C&V bikes are coming out of the woodwork through the many online classifieds.
modern bikes at low costs are pretty decent for basic commuting as well as some pretty nice 90s and 2k are bikes are cheap as well.
Bikes get stolen. with the ease and low cost of dockless bikes and scooters littlered all over the place, its easy to jump on one of those and ditch it somewhere for a few bucks. no lock needed. no cost to store and maintain.
ridesharing makes life without a car in the city cheap and easy too.
Im ok with it as a nostalgic collector. I can buy really cool clean bikes for nothing that would have cost me a fortune 10 years ago.
supply and demand.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 01-17-20, 11:37 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by cheffyjay
$230 shipping factored into that price. That's pretty steep compared to most.
True that but 1k for a good condition RS was still a great deal no matter how you look at it.

Next cheapest was a frame only for $1160
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-17-20, 11:44 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Older bike with downtube shifters for $200 or newer brifter bike for $200 ? 99% take the brifter
Likes For sdn40:
Old 01-18-20, 12:22 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
No matter what the market does, my rule is always, "buy high and sell low", or at least that's how it always seems. Works for cars, bikes, everything except houses, so far.
Old 01-18-20, 02:42 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
The down-tube demographic is getting older. I watched the same thing happen with the vintage car market. One can buy a Ford Model A for a song these days compared to post 50's cars. Newer generations simply aren't interested because they have no experience with them, and they are too archaic to use. And yes, they are right. Us vintage/classic people are sentimental. We were young enough to remember when buying one of these racers was out of our financial reach. Now that we can have them for next to nothing, most of our stables are full. Plus, our riding days are coming to an end due to age and/or frailty. Only buy a vintage bike if you intend to lose money. Period. A set of new tires and tubes, not to mention a few other things, and your investment is toast. I had a DeRosa Professional I tried to sell forever. I was totally stumped as to why it wouldn't sell, and I had put brifters on it even. I ended up taking a bath on that frame after I was forced to dismantle the bike to part out. I have a bike right now that I can't hardly give away. The offers have been insulting, but I'm beginning to think maybe realistic. My new rule of thumb is: If I'm not 100% sure I want to keep it, don't buy it if it's C&V. That is, unless you like your showers cold.

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-19-20 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-18-20, 05:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
That Sachs is a pretty bike.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-18-20, 05:51 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
The down-tube demographic is getting older. I watched the same thing happen with the vintage car market. One can by a Ford Model A for a song these days compared to post 50's cars. Newer generations simply aren't interested because they have no experience with them, and they are too archaic to use. And yes, they are right. Us vintage/classic people are sentimental. We were young enough to remember when buying one of these racers was out of our financial reach. Now that we can have them for next to nothing, most of our stables are full. Plus, our riding days are coming to an end due to age and/or frailty. Only buy a vintage bike if you intend to lose money. Period. A set of new tires and tubes, not to mention a few other things, and your investment is toast. I had a DeRosa Professional I tried to sell forever. I was totally stumped as to why it wouldn't sell, and I had put brifters on it even. I ended up taking a bath on that frame after I was forced to dismantle the bike to part out. I have a bike right now that I can't hardly give away. The offers have been insulting, but I'm beginning to think maybe realistic. My new rule of thumb is: If I'm not 100% sure I want to keep it, don't buy it if it's C&V. That is, unless you like your showers cold.
Nostalgia dies with it's generation.* **

*There are always exceptions.
**I also have the market cornered on buggy whips if I am wrong.
Old 01-18-20, 06:03 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I also think that the market suffers from too much diversification in terms of genre. I mean fifty years ago, we did not have mountain bikes, e-bikes, gravel bikes, muscle bikes, hybrids, tadpole trikes, recumbents, ratbikes, etc. So much distraction. I view C&V bikes like I do automobiles. There are classic cars, and there are modern normal everyday cars. If you are not into classic cars, you may opt to get a Prius instead of a Bel Air. Same with bikes. Lots of people are young enough now to have never used friction shifting. Times change. Markets die out because of creative destruction.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-18-20, 06:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You have the new generation coming up who thinks a road tire smaller than 50mm is too small and "beats them up". The thought of riding a 23-25 makes them cringe in pain lol. And a 39-42T small ring scares them. So vintage bikes probably aren't their thing.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 01-18-20, 07:09 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Quite a few folks were not paying attention when that Sachs sold. But, yes--It is a good time to start a collection.
Old 01-18-20, 07:16 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Value is in the eye of the beholder. What's considered valuable depends on many variables, but chiefly quality and scarcity. Uniqueness counts, as well, but most of the bikes we covet are not one-offs, but production models.

We choose bikes, others lunchboxes.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 01-18-20, 07:17 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You have the new generation coming up who thinks a road tire smaller than 50mm is too small and "beats them up". The thought of riding a 23-25 makes them cringe in pain lol. And a 39-42T small ring scares them. So vintage bikes probably aren't their thing.
So true! I find my 23s quite comfy with the right pressure. I thought my first set of 25s were sluggish.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 01-18-20, 07:52 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
In addition to the shipping price, note the damage on the right chainstay (which the seller was kind enough to fully disclose). Looks like some chainsuck went on until it ground away some of the silver on the dropout-to-chainstay joint.

I know this is relatively minor - there's a lot of us here that would dismiss such a flaw as normal on some brands of production bikes - but this is a Sachs. Part of the reason to own a Sachs' frame is the workmanship on every last possible detail, which means damage like this (however minor) may receive more consideration from a buyer than usual.

Also, this is an early model - not everyone is acquainted with that particular fork crown engraving. There was a thread here recently about one of his early forks and e-RICHIE himself had to chime chime in and confirm that the specific fork in question dated to about 1978/79:

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
I can't address all the inaccurate comments directed at my work, but I was emailed about the fork alone. It is one of mine. Yes, I did have many versions of the pantographing until I could afford having my own font made into a traceable pattern. This fork was probably from an order I filled in 1978. Maybe 1979.
The lack of knowledge about these forks might have turned some prospective buyers off. Not everyone who buys one of these is necessarily a perfect historian on Sachs' work, after all.

-Kurt

Old 01-18-20, 08:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Vintage bikes are a fun hobby, but modern bikes offer increased utility for ordinary cyclist and improved performance for elite cyclist. I've always used updated components with vintage framesets to keep my bikes from becoming excessively dated. This can be done without ruining the character of the bike if updates are chosen with some restraint.

However, the same features that the retro-grouch hate, such as modern brakes, tires and drivetrains have made cycling far safer and more enjoyable for the vast public.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-18-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 08:24 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
the generations that can appreciate bikes of the 70s and 80s are now in their 40s 50s and 60s. collections are downsizing and more C&V bikes are coming out of the woodwork through the many online classifieds.
supply and demand.
This is the major reason IMO. I follow and participate in several vintage markets including vintage tennis rackets and it is the same case. Hopefully the trend changes since it is hard to downsize (N-1) if you have to accept a loss of investment or significant decreased value. Auction sellers should used an acceptable fixed or reserve price to insure sales are not too low, ie prevent investment loss.
Old 01-18-20, 08:29 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
When you can order a perfectly decent steel or aluminum road bike on-line for around $400 and, have it delivered to your doorstep why would you bother paying the same amount for a 30 or 40 year old classic? I think used prices have more to do with giant asian factories, automation, robots and the internet than anything else. Factories in Taiwan can produce thousands of bikes a day for a fraction of what they used to cost (in adjusted dollars) in the past. And - unless the vintage bike is a really superior product, most of the modern mass produced bikes are much better than the vintage bikes.

I can't get anybody to answer my advertisements for sale of vintage road bikes until I drop the price under $200. The last three I sold went for $185 each. About 1/2 the cost of a on-line ordered bike.

Last edited by ramzilla; 01-18-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 08:32 AM
e-RICHIE

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
It's a 40 year old RS.
And a repainted one at that.
I have no idea what if any mods may have been made.

Originally Posted by cudak888
In addition to the shipping price, note the damage on the right chainstay (which the seller was kind enough to fully disclose). Looks like some chainsuck went on until it ground away some of the silver on the dropout-to-chainstay joint.

I know this is relatively minor - there's a lot of us here that would dismiss such a flaw as normal on some brands of production bikes - but this is a Sachs. Part of the reason to own a Sachs' frame is the workmanship on every last possible detail, which means damage like this (however minor) may receive more consideration from a buyer than usual.

Also, this is an early model - not everyone is acquainted with that particular fork crown engraving. There was a thread here recently about one of his early forks and e-RICHIE himself had to chime chime in and confirm that the specific fork in question dated to about 1978/79:

The lack of knowledge about these forks might have turned some prospective buyers off. Not everyone who buys one of these is necessarily a perfect historian on Sachs' work, after all.

-Kurt
Old 01-18-20, 08:33 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
No matter what the market does, my rule is always, "buy high and sell low", or at least that's how it always seems. Works for cars, bikes, everything except houses, so far.
Good for you that real estate is location*3 (SoCal ) but not the case for C&V bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.