Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seting up a 29er mtn. bike for dirt-road touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 04:22 PM
WalterDavis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year I decided that since I live in Moab, I should try this Mountain Biking thing and bought myself a Windsor Cliff29er Pro (see specs herehttps://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cliff29pro.htm ). I'm a pretty big guy at about 300lbs (working on getting skinnier, hence the bike), so I opted for a hardtail, hoping that the front suspension and larger tires would help smooth out the ride enought to keep me interested while still being fairly efficient, and it seems to be a good setup for me.

However, I'm finding that I'm not so much interested in the technical mtn. biking, and more interested in touring, and while I'd eventually like to buy a dedicated road touring rig, I'd like to start taking some trips on the local backroads. I could really use some advice on how to setup my bike for those kind of trips. I'm sure most of my miles on the bike will end up being pavement, but I'd like a tire that will work decently off-road, too. I also have a problem with flats, both pinch-flats and thorns!

So I guess what I'm asking is, what would you recommend as far as tubes/tires, racks, and panniers, for a fat guy on a budget How would you set up a bike, and why? Can I even set up a bike to carry me, some overnight supplies, and a gallon or two of water and expect to make it 50 miles down a road (dirt or otherwise), without messing stuff up?

Thanks a ton
Old 02-02-10, 04:53 PM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really have any recommendations, I just want to point out that a 29" rim is the same as 700c, so you can use a dedicated touring tire. Something like this: https://rbikes.com/product/continenta...0c-62633-1.htm
Old 02-02-10, 05:44 PM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might find that the 29er is fine for road too. Not ideal perhaps, but good enough that another bike might not be necessary. You first need to decide where you are in the weight/bulk versus comfort continum. My comments are for comfort over weight/bulk, which maybe is more appropriate for you since you plan to carry two gallons of water.

Since you're 300 lbs already and you have 32 spoke wheels, you might want to consider going with a single wheeled trailer, the BOB Yak or Ibex (suspension) with the 28" fork. The longer fork gives you clearance for 29er tires or fenders using thinner 700c tires.

https://www.biketrailershop.com/catal...lers-c-21.html

Both 29er and 700c (and 28"!) tires are different marketing terms for the same ETRTO size - xx-622.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/size_markings

Why for you a trailer may be preferable:

1) A properly loaded trailer puts only one third of its weight on the rear wheel. Your 300 lbs on this thus marginal 32 spoke wheel is plenty already.
2) The height of a 29er tire may not clear a rear rack (might be fixed with an adapter set).
3) Your disc brakes will make installation of a rear rack tricky. You may be able to mount through the rear drop outs an OMM rack specified for 29ers, but you'll need also to use clamps on your seat stays.
4) Your front suspension means the selection of a specialty Tubus Swing front rack that mounts above the shock, or an OMM rack that mounts through the fork dropout below the shock. IMHO, the latter will wear your supension out prematurely. But you may be able to get away without a front rack. YMMV.

Bar ends: Touring requires a variety of hand positions to minimize hand numbness. Ergons are the best, but pricey.

Tires: Schwalbe makes several tires that are suitable for you. The Evolution series is the best for all around touring performance. If you want superior flat protection you can consider the very heavy Marathon Plus. Tubes don't really matter. Many people do not like tire liners and filled (Slime) tubes, so it's better to buy good tires to start with.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires

Other than that, I'd just wait for things to break before you replace them. For example, the strength of your wheels could be better, but you might be fine with what you have for quite a while.

Last edited by Cyclesafe; 02-02-10 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 07:03 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
At one point I weighed 265, and toured fully loaded. I would just switch to 1.5 inch slicks. They are fine on road, and I simply switch tire when I want to do another kind of riding. I have done 40 mile secions on dirt/sand on the bald tires, and they were fine, preferable to doing the other thousand on treads. But if that doesn't suit you just get some semi treaded high pressure comfort bike type tires.

Get the wheels gone over by a tech if you have any concerns about their build. You should be on more spokes, actually I don't think a 29er on 32 spokes is all that sensible, and certainly not over 200 pounds. That said, I don't think big guys wreak wheels as much as agressive riding at any weight.

To eliminate pinch flats, just inflate to 80-90 pounds.
Old 02-02-10, 07:38 PM
hrdarw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do agree with Cyclesafe, these wheels are not strong enough for dirt road touring... I bought Windsor Cliff29er Pro last year, because I wanted to do some on and off-road touring on it, but after some deliberation and reading other users opinions on net, I decided to replace frame /Haro Mary/ and rear wheel /Halo Freedom+XT hub 36/ for my loaded trips. But I am still using my older wheel for light biking - last week I had 3 broken spokes and I am "only" 225lbs... As for rear rack I use Axiom Streamliner Road Rack with seat-post adapter /much cheaper option than OMM; about 40$/ . On front- Odyssee Suspension Lowrider, but after some mods to fit fork. When you think about touring on dirt which is much bigger fun then roads you need to be prepared for this, or you may carry your stuff and broken bike on your back for next 60 miles to nearest bike mechanic...
Old 02-03-10, 09:30 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooops!

And yet another (important) reason you might want a trailer is that the distance between the middle of your botton bracket axle and your rear drop outs must be long enough so that you won't have rear pannier heel strike.

Last edited by Cyclesafe; 02-03-10 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Forgot that you don't have braze ons for rack mounting.
Old 02-03-10, 09:39 AM
WalterDavis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all! I do have some bar ends on the bike already, so I'm ok there (though I'd like to get a slightly shorter stem for my handlebars). I'll start looking at trailers and stronger wheels!
Old 02-03-10, 12:42 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You can get info/advice here as well.
Old 02-04-10, 02:58 AM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode Portland to Ventura
raced 12 hours of Humboldt while enroute
i love my 29er

plus some other tours
and did The Eastern Sierra Double on it too...

https://www.asanacycles.com/Asana_Cyc...Ventura_1.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-to-Ventura-LA
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=445185&page=2
Old 02-04-10, 03:00 AM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i like Schwalbe Marathon Cross in 700 x 37c
and you may like to look at these racks.
www.OldManMountain.com