Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

(Winter) Clothing guide

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

(Winter) Clothing guide

Old 10-31-16, 06:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
(Winter) Clothing guide

Seems like every year when the temperatures drops I have to rethink about what I did the previous year that worked for that particular temperature. So this year I'm putting together a chart for myself as a guide for what to wear for the range of temperatures in 5*C increments. Hopefully it'll take some of the thinking out of the whole production.

The morning temps around here range from 20* down to -30* in the dead of winter, so this chart has quite a few rows.

Individual comfort level with regard to temperature differs, of course, but I'm just curious how many of you have a similar chart, and if so, if you're willing to share it. I'm still putting mine together at the moment.

Edit:
I've overdressed on rides and it's miserable. I've underdressed as well and equally unpleasant.

Last edited by mcours2006; 10-31-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 07:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
No chart. Layers of Merino wool, UnderArmour compressive and other breathable layers with a water/windproof shell with vents. Start with a good base layer and apply as needed.
Old 10-31-16, 08:24 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Add a layer for each 10 degree drop starting at 60F for upper body and 50F for legs. Bit more for windy days.
Old 10-31-16, 08:31 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Add a layer for each 10 degree drop starting at 60F for upper body and 50F for legs. Bit more for windy days.
Uff da. At 0 I would look like the Michelin Man. I don't do a second layer of Merino till the high teens F and forego long underwear bottoms till 10-15F. I do wear windproof tops and bottoms starting in the 40s.
Old 10-31-16, 08:39 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Uff da. At 0 I would look like the Michelin Man. I don't do a second layer of Merino till the high teens F and forego long underwear bottoms till 10-15F. I do wear windproof tops and bottoms starting in the 40s.
Didn't mention that all layers are fairly thin Lycra and non windproof. Keeps the moisture level down. Works for this Southerner.
Old 11-01-16, 12:06 AM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Last winter I managed most of the season with T-shirt under an old mockneck sweatshirt (or old LL Bean rag wool sweater) up top with Propper ripstop cargo pants, wool socks and some Teva hiking shoes. On the face, wool Buff and hat.

This is Lexington KY, and my lows were usually teens (night shifts), but it worked. I'm hoping to come up with something better this year, especially on the bottom--my privates were usually fairly well iced by the time I got home/to work.
Old 11-01-16, 11:24 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
It's kind of trial and error for me now. I usually like to have an extra layer if needed and bring along more clothing than I think I'll need for the day to be safe and rarely use it.
Old 11-01-16, 12:07 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd rather start with 1 layer too many and have to shed it by the time I got out of the neighborhood. It'll take some trial and error to get it right. I did get some new winter gloves though...for the 2 months here where I think it is cold
Old 11-01-16, 12:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Definitely trail and error. A good windproof (not waterproof) soft shell is a useful piece of kit in really cold weather. So are oversized mountaineering waterproof mittens.
Old 11-01-16, 12:30 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I came up with this a couple years ago, but I haven't updated it. Looking at it now, it's definitely too much for some of the lower temps. Also, I've bought some new gear that renders some of these items superfluous. Also, my tolerance for cold seems to have increased. Also, we haven't had a really cold winter in Kansas for several years.

Good rule of thumb for me is to be cold for the first 10 minutes.

Also there's a big difference between sunny and calm vs. windy and cloudy and/or wet. I dress for about 10 degrees colder when there's no sun.

This chart, for me, is for 3-4 hour weekend rides.

60 and above Shorts, short sleeve jersey, fingerless gloves, regular socks
55-60 Shorts, jersey, arm warmers, fingerless gloves
50-55 Thermal bib shorts, long sleeve jersey, long gloves, leg warmers, regular socks
40s Thermal bib shorts , long jersey, baselayer top, wool socks, midweight gloves, hat
35-40 thermal bib shorts, long jersey, jacket, leg warmers, wool socks, booties, midweight gloves, hat
30-35 thermal bib tights, baselayer top, short jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, midweight gloves, balaclava
25-30 thermal bib tights, baselayer bottom, baselayer top, short jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, heavy gloves, balaclava
20-25 Long fleece bibs, baselayer bottom, baselayer top, long jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, heavy gloves, liners, balaclava, goggles
Below 20 Everything above, plus plastic bag on feet.
Old 11-01-16, 12:50 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just toss on whatever seems like a good idea at the time.

Right now lows are just above freezing. For me that means the Lake shoes (overkill but I only have two shoes, these and summer shoes), motorcycle full finger gloves, a long sleeve T shirt, shorts, and my vented raingear which doubles as a windbreaker layer, and a gaiter pulled up over my ears and my normal riding goggles..

Deadest winter (-15*F or lower) = compression layer, then usually thermal underwear and a top layer (T shirt and shorts adn the same jacket and pants over the top, possibly electric sole foot warmers inside the lake shoes, hunting gloves, a balaclava covering full face plus full seal goggles, probably a neoprene face mask over that, then a scarf draped over my neck and crossed in front of my torso.

I've worn that down to -25*F.
Old 11-01-16, 12:51 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
(list)
Wow, I think I'd catch fire if I wore that much in those temps. I'd definitely arrive soaking wet and dehydrated.
Old 11-01-16, 01:00 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by ksryder
I came up with this a couple years ago, but I haven't updated it. Looking at it now, it's definitely too much for some of the lower temps. Also, I've bought some new gear that renders some of these items superfluous. Also, my tolerance for cold seems to have increased. Also, we haven't had a really cold winter in Kansas for several years.

Good rule of thumb for me is to be cold for the first 10 minutes.

Also there's a big difference between sunny and calm vs. windy and cloudy and/or wet. I dress for about 10 degrees colder when there's no sun.

This chart, for me, is for 3-4 hour weekend rides.

60 and above Shorts, short sleeve jersey, fingerless gloves, regular socks
55-60 Shorts, jersey, arm warmers, fingerless gloves
50-55 Thermal bib shorts, long sleeve jersey, long gloves, leg warmers, regular socks
40s Thermal bib shorts , long jersey, baselayer top, wool socks, midweight gloves, hat
35-40 thermal bib shorts, long jersey, jacket, leg warmers, wool socks, booties, midweight gloves, hat
30-35 thermal bib tights, baselayer top, short jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, midweight gloves, balaclava
25-30 thermal bib tights, baselayer bottom, baselayer top, short jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, heavy gloves, balaclava
20-25 Long fleece bibs, baselayer bottom, baselayer top, long jersey, neoprene jacket, wool socks, booties, heavy gloves, liners, balaclava, goggles
Below 20 Everything above, plus plastic bag on feet.
Your list is not too far off from mine own. Below -5*C I'd be putting in chemical warmers for my hands (mittens) as well as my feet, even with the neoprene shoe covers.

By far the biggest issues with my commute in extreme temperatures are my hands and feet. The chemical warmers are a godsend.
Old 11-01-16, 01:09 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Wow, I think I'd catch fire if I wore that much in those temps. I'd definitely arrive soaking wet and dehydrated.

Did you read the part where I said it needed updated?

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Your list is not too far off from mine own. Below -5*C I'd be putting in chemical warmers for my hands (mittens) as well as my feet, even with the neoprene shoe covers.

By far the biggest issues with my commute in extreme temperatures are my hands and feet. The chemical warmers are a godsend.

I got a pair of Specialized Defrosters on clearance a year or so back; big help. Also -- Alpaca wool socks. 3x warmer than merino wool.

Best thing I've found for my hands are bar mitts. Below 25 (Fahrenheit - should've specified); bar mitts and any pair of gloves are more than sufficient.

It rarely gets below 25 here any more, so we can pretty much ride year round.
Old 11-01-16, 01:28 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Seems like everyyear when the temperatures drops I have to rethink about what I did theprevious year that worked for that particular temperature. So this year I'm putting together a chart for myself as a guide forwhat to wear for the range of temperatures in 5*C increments. Hopefully it'll take some of the thinking out of the whole production.

The morning temps around here range from 20* down to -30* in the dead ofwinter, so this chart has quite a few rows.

Individual comfort level with regard to temperature differs, of course, but I'm just curious how many of you have a similar chart, and if so, if you're willing to share it. I'm still putting mine together at the moment.

Edit:
I've overdressed on rides and it's miserable. I've underdressed as well andequally unpleasant.
Back in 2009, a year after joining Bike Forums, I posted to this thread, “Your clothing choices for various temps.”

Originally Posted by agarose2000
What clothing do you use reliably to stay comfortable for temps of:

50-70F

30-40F

10-30F

< 0F?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think of my degrees of dress in six levels. Adopting to your table for my 14 mile commute (temperatures in parentheses):

50-70F
Level I (>70): Shorts, short sleeve shirt.

Level II (60): Add thin long legged tights and/or long-sleeve jersey
(50): Add fleece shirt, maybe a wind proof cycling jacket, and long legged cycling tights over thin tights;thin fingered gloves, thin balaclava

30-40F
Level III (40): Heavy cycling jacket and long sleeve jersey; two layers of tights as above; thin balaclava, maybe a woolen cap; heavier woolen gloves
(35): Add safety glasses (as goggles) that fit over my eyeglasses; extra pairof neoprene socks; balaclava and woolen cap

10-30F
Level IV (30) Add fleece jersey; thin, fingered gloves and thickwind-proof fingered gloves; neoprene extra socks and neoprene booties overshoes

Level V (25): Add windproof thin cycling jacket over fleece and underheavy cycling jacket

Level VI: (<20): Thin and thick woolen socks instead of neoprene socks; additional windproof pants [scrub pants or rainproof pants] over twopairs of tights, add neoprene face mask

<0F?
My personal best has been leaving at 8 degrees in Boston and arriving at mysuburban destination at minus 9

I don't like being cold, so I tend to overdress a bit, but I have a rear trunkbag and can remove layers. Recently I've been looking for reasonably priced mittens for level VI.
I use my chart to decide on dress by just checking the temperature. I decide just by ambient temperature, and ignore wind chill (unless severe) since there is always a wind chill on a bike.

Since that list, I have bought significantly warmer fleece and winter jacket, so I don’t wear the heavy jacket until about 25, and then without the fleece. I wear the fleece and windproof shell jacket from about 40 to 25⁰. Also this fall I have bought some leg and arm warmers, and I find the leg warmers an effective, and flexible layer, e.g. at 27 this morning.

Even on my carbon fiber road bike I carry a backpack to bring a few extra lightweight, but somewhat voluminous items to fine tune my dress, to add or remove.

Finally, a particularly significant decision point for me is 35, to wear goggles over my prescription eyeglasses, and I have frequently posted about my eyewear to prevent fogging.

BTW, I learned to scale lists on a six-point system after a white water rafting trip since that is how rivers are assessed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-02-16 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 02:02 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I think you can get away with not too many clothes for the winter:

60F and up - bib short, short sleeve jersey, open finger gloves, skullcap, socks, shoes, helmet
50 - 59F - bib short, knee warners, long sleeve baselayer, short sleeve jersey, open finger gloves, skullcap, socks, shoes, helmet
40 - 49F - bib short, bib tight, long sleeve baselayer, long sleeve jersey, full finger gloves, winter cap, socks, shoes, shoe covers, helmet
30 - 39F - bib short, bib tight, long sleeve baselayer, long sleeve jersey, 2nd long sleeve jersey, winter gloves, winter cap, socks, shoes, shoe covers, helmet
20 - 29F - bib tight, thermal bib tight w/chamois, long sleeve baselayer, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, 2nd long sleeve jersey, winter gloves, winter cap, socks, 2nd pair socks, shoes, shoe covers, helmet
19F or lower - ride indoors (trainer or rollers)

Also have a rain jacket for rainy days that counts as two layers. The long sleeve baselayer is a compression shirt. Socks are usually marino wool.

Last edited by ptempel; 11-01-16 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 04:04 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ptempel:

Holy cats, that's "not too many clothes"?
Your 20-29F is my 0-9F.

Give up at 19F? That's not even that cold. It's just getting comfortable with a full coverage layer on at that point.
Old 11-01-16, 04:34 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Copenhagenize.com - Bicycle Culture by Design: Overcomplicating Winter Cycling - Why It's Bad
Old 11-01-16, 04:41 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Last week when it was in the 40's I realized I was really comfortable wearing layers that would have been appropriate 10 degrees warmer in the past. I've taken to doubting the temperature I see on my phone when I get ready to commute and wondered how I was comfortable wearing ventilated shoes, thin pants and a thin baselayer when it was that cold out. But when I checked the temperature again it matched the phone so I guess I'm just adapting to the colder weather.
Old 11-01-16, 10:55 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Wrote some tips from my experience in a blog article:

How to dress for winter cycling?
Old 11-02-16, 06:37 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
ptempel:

Holy cats, that's "not too many clothes"?
Your 20-29F is my 0-9F.

Give up at 19F? That's not even that cold. It's just getting comfortable with a full coverage layer on at that point.
I've pushed it a bit lower than 20F but that gets me through the winter in the "torpical" NYC area. In Michigan, I guess I'd need a little more thermal items for that hood. Sometimes wonder how folks ride in sub zero F temps but they are there. This reminds me of a temperature joke like the one below:

"Cold" is a relative term. Use the handy list below to overcome the confusion. Degrees (Fahrenheit)

65 - Hawaiians declare a two-blanket night
60 - Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one)
50 - Miami residents turn on the heat
45 - Vermont residents go to outdoor concerts
40 - You can see your breath - Californians shiver uncontrollably - Minnesotans go swimming
35 - Italian cars don't start
32 - Water freezes
30 - You plan your vacation to Australia
25 - Ohio water freezes - Californians weep pitiably - Minnesotans eat ice cream - Canadians go swimming
20 - Politicians begin to talk about the homeless - New York City water freezes - Miami residents plan vacation further South
15 - French cars don't start - Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you
10 - You need jumper cables to get the car going
5 - American cars don't start
0 - Alaskans put on T-shirts
-10 - German cars don't start - Eyes freeze shut when you blink
-15 - You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo - Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects - Miami residents cease to exist
-20 - Cat insists on sleeping in pajamas with you - Politicians actually do something about the homeless - Minnesotans shovel snow off roof - Japanese cars don't start
-25 - Too cold to think - You need jumper cables to get the driver going
-30 - You plan a two week hot bath - Swedish cars don't start
-40 - Californians disappear - Minnesotans button top button - Canadians put on sweaters - Your car helps you plan your trip South
-50 - Congressional hot air freezes - Alaskans close the bathroom window
-80 - Hell freezes over - Polar bears move South - Viking Fans order hot cocoa at the game
-90 - Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets

Last edited by ptempel; 11-02-16 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 07:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I keep one, for exactly the reason the OP stated, it's hard to remember what worked 9 months ago; especially for the coldest days. For the record, I run warmer that the average bear.

Here's my simple spreadsheet (I'm not sure how to get this to display larger):

Untitled.jpg

Here's the coldest weather collection:

IMG_20150113_081717_578-2.jpg

BTW - 45NRTH just introduced their new line of winter clothing, NAUGHTVIND

Edit, does a cut-and-paste work (not really)?

• -15 Pearl, Chrome & O2 pants Bonfire; wool 1st layer & T6: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; thin & heavy wool socks REI gloves & snowboard helmet & goggles good - but snowboard helmet and googles get sweaty and goggles freeze over
  • -10 Pearl, Chrome & O2 pants Bonfire; 2x T6: vest Skull cap, 45NRTH 45NRTH; thin & heavy wool socks heavy Bontrager gloves and pogies worked up a sweat, but feet were cold (too much/thick socks?)
  • -5 Pearl, Chrome & O2 pants Bonfire; wool 1st layer & T6: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; thin & heavy wool socks REI gloves with Bontrager gloves as liner good (worked up a sweat)
  • -5 Pearl, Chrome & O2 pants Bonfire; wool 1st layer; jersey: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; thin & heavy wool socks REI gloves with Bontrager gloves as liner good
  • 0 Pearl, Chrome Bonfire; wool 1st layer; jersey: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; heavy wool socks Pearl gloves good
  • 0 Pearl & O2 pants Bonfire; wool 1st layer; Fox shirt: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; heavy wool socks Pearl gloves good
  • 0 Pearl, Chrome & O2 pants Bonfire; wool T6: vest Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; heavy wool socks Pearl gloves good (worked up a sweat)
  • 0 686 & O2 pants Bonfire; green REI jackets; 1st layer x2 REI gloves, grey bandanna, shoe covers Very good!
  • 5 686 & O2 pants Bonfire; green REI jackets; 1st layer x2 REI gloves, grey bandanna Good, but need shoe covers (used foot warmers)
  • 10 O2 & Pearl pants wool base: Frikin Jersey; Pearl vest; Bonfire jacket Skull cap, grey bandanna boots; heavy wool socks Pearl gloves, bandanna TOO HOT! Sweating like mad
  • 10 O2 & Novara pants 1st layer x2; Bonfire jacket pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 10 O2 & Canari pants 1st layer x2; Bonfire jacket pipe/choppers gloves, bandanna, skull cap, boots Legs were cold
  • 15 Pearl & Chrome Wool Base; T6; Bonefire Jacket Skull cap Snowboard sock; 45NRTH Pearl gloves, bandanna GREAT!
  • 15 Canari, Chrome & O2 pants 1st layer x2; Pearl vest & O2 jacket grey bandanna, skull cap Hiking boots REI gloves good - vest really helps
  • 20 Canari, Chrome Wool base; long sleeve jersey; Pearl vest; O2 Skull cap, grey bandanna boots with snowboard socks Bontrager gloves good
  • 20 O2 & Novara pants 1st layer x2; Pearl jacket pipe gloves, bandanna, skull cap, shoe covers good
  • 20 O2 & Novara pants 1st layer; Bonfire jacket pipe gloves, grey bandanna, skull cap, shoe covers good
  • 25 Chrome & Tights 1st layer, T6 Wool, Pearl jacket Bontrager gloves, bandanna, skull cap, shoe covers good
  • 25 O2 & Novara pants 1st layer x2; Pearl jacket pipe/choppers gloves, bandanna, skull cap, shoe covers good
  • 25 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna, skull cap good
  • 25 O2 pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 25 O2 & Novara pants 1st layer x2; O2 jacket wool socks; double gloves, bandanna good
  • 30 O2 Pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna riding Daily, hands cold
  • 30 O2 & Chrome pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna good
  • 30 Novara & Chrome pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna, skull cap good
  • 30 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna, skull cap good
  • 35 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna good
  • 35 O2 pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 40 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna Good
  • 40 O2 pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 40 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 45 Novara pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 45 O2 pants 1st layer; Pearl jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna
  • 45 (rain) O2 & Chrome pants 1st layer; O2 jacket wool socks; pipe gloves, bandanna Good
  • 50 shorts 1st layer: jersey normal socks; normal gloves good

Last edit, I think.... need to share a fav sub-zero ride pic: -12F riding 10 miles to work:

10489915_10205935840777846_6137776804379837134_n.jpg

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-02-16 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 08:53 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by ptempel
I've pushed it a bit lower than 20F but that gets me through the winter in the "torpical" NYC area. In Michigan, I guess I'd need a little more thermal items for that hood. Sometimes wonder how folks ride in sub zero F temps but they are there. This reminds me of a temperature joke like the one below:

"Cold" is a relative term. Use the handy list below to overcome the confusion. Degrees (Fahrenheit)

65 - Hawaiians declare a two-blanket night
60 - Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one)
50 - Miami residents turn on the heat
45 - Vermont residents go to outdoor concerts
40 - You can see your breath - Californians shiver uncontrollably - Minnesotans go swimming
35 - Italian cars don't start
32 - Water freezes
30 - You plan your vacation to Australia
25 - Ohio water freezes - Californians weep pitiably - Minnesotans eat ice cream - Canadians go swimming
20 - Politicians begin to talk about the homeless - New York City water freezes - Miami residents plan vacation further South
15 - French cars don't start - Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you
10 - You need jumper cables to get the car going
5 - American cars don't start
0 - Alaskans put on T-shirts
-10 - German cars don't start - Eyes freeze shut when you blink
-15 - You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo - Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects - Miami residents cease to exist
-20 - Cat insists on sleeping in pajamas with you - Politicians actually do something about the homeless - Minnesotans shovel snow off roof - Japanese cars don't start
-25 - Too cold to think - You need jumper cables to get the driver going
-30 - You plan a two week hot bath - Swedish cars don't start
-40 - Californians disappear - Minnesotans button top button - Canadians put on sweaters - Your car helps you plan your trip South
-50 - Congressional hot air freezes - Alaskans close the bathroom window
-80 - Hell freezes over - Polar bears move South - Viking Fans order hot cocoa at the game
-90 - Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets
Thanks for that. Quite amusing.
Old 11-02-16, 09:12 AM
ptempel

@Hypno Toad, are "Chrome & O2 pants" snowboarding pants? Thanks for the comprehensive list. I'm always interested in what others wear and possibly improving upon my selections...

Edit: I think you're layering a rain pant on top of another. I found the O2 website here: https://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-pant/

Last edited by ptempel; 11-02-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 09:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
@Hypno Toad, are "Chrome & O2 pants" snowboarding pants? Thanks for the comprehensive list. I'm always interested in what others wear and possibly improving upon my selections...

Edit: I think you're layering a rain pant on top of another. I found the O2 website here: Original Pant | O2 Rainwear
You got it! O2 pants are rain pains that breath and make a good wind-barrier. I'm not a fan on the O2 material on my skin, so the Chrome knickers offer a barrier.

edit - BTW, the 686 pants are a snowboard pants liner - I don't use them any more, they are too warm for biking. The Pearl Izumi Elite pants are much better for heat-management.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.