Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Suggest mountain bike for beginner

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-02-20, 04:22 AM
nickmark

Bikes: EIOU Carbon Fiber 27.5 Adult Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a new biker. Recently a few months ago I learned bike riding. At first, I bought a road bike. I learned riding it very well. Now I am passionate to ride a mountain bike for my next tour. As a beginner suggests to me which mountain bike will be best for me.
Old 11-02-20, 08:15 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Best bang for the buck in either full suspension or hardtail is Giant.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ull-suspension

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...bikes/hardtail
Old 11-02-20, 12:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Besides the one in your signature?

John
Old 11-02-20, 02:17 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by nickmark
I am a new biker. Recently a few months ago I learned bike riding. At first, I bought a road bike. I learned riding it very well. Now I am passionate to ride a mountain bike for my next tour. As a beginner suggests to me which mountain bike will be best for me.
What about this guys idea?
Don't worry there is a lot of best mountain bike is available $400. You just choose which mountain bike you feel comfortable with. All the mountain bikes almost the same. You can choose the kent Hawkeye Mountain bike. It's the best mountain bike at a low price.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 11-02-20, 02:37 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Peruse craigslist and ebay for mountain bike listings near you. I recall getting my wife a mint condition Gary Fisher Tassajara for $400 years ago. For about the same price, I recall getting an older Cannondale headshock for myself. The deals should be out there. You can also save shipping costs by going in person locally if possible.
Old 01-11-21, 06:05 PM
rumble b

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It doesn't hurt to find something local and cheap to get started - after you've ridden that you'll have a better idea of what you want.
Old 01-12-21, 04:14 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
budget???
Old 01-12-21, 09:55 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
At the moment the best bike is one you can find. Demand has been high and supply constrained for a while.If you can, I advise renting a bike or two to see if you like mountain biking and what style suits you. Among newish bikes a 29" or 27.5" wheel hard tail with hydraulic brakes is a good starter and you can sometimes find extraordinary deals on old formerly high end 26" wheel bikes. Dual suspension is pricier but nice to have. Personally I like the older Kona hardtails and the 2008 and newer Trek Fuel EX series. Jamis bikes are also worth a look, both the hardtails and the Dakar series dualies.
Old 01-13-21, 03:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
What exactly do you plan to DO with this bike? What terrain are you riding it on? Rough singletrack? Smooth dirt bike paths? Rail to Trails? Gravel roads?
Old 01-13-21, 03:21 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
not sure why you are asking since you had no problem handing out expert advice a few days ago.
Old 01-18-21, 07:41 AM
Richard Berry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While buying a mountain bike, some things you should keep in mind are:
  1. Frame- The frame of the full suspension mountain bikes is usually made out of aluminum or carbon material. Both of these materials are strong, durable and rigid promising better platform for the rider. However, Aluminum material frame is usually preferred for long downhill rides by most of the riders. Also, carbon material frames are quite expensive to afford.
  2. Size - The full suspension mountain bikes appear in various range of sizes suitable for men, women and children. It is hence very essential to check the size of the bike, to make sure that it fits you, before you purchase one. You can always try the bike and confirm if it suits you or bring you comfort.
  3. Style- The best full suspension mountain bikes for beginners come in three styles: short, medium and long travel bikes.
The short-travel suspension bikes as the name suggests, are the bikes with short suspension, under 4-inches. These style of suspension bikes are the lightest category suspension bikes and are so efficient which makes it one of the best full suspension mountain bikes for the beginners.

Medium-travel suspension bikes are those bikes with the suspension size in between 4-inches and 6-inches. These full suspension mountain bikes are designed for the riders who enjoy both uphill and downhill rides.

Long-travel suspension bikes are the best mountain bikes for downhill riding. These are the bikes with suspension in between 7-inches and 10-inches. The high-speed stability is a notable feature of these bikes. They easily soak the road shocks along the trails which makes them the perfect riding partner along downhills as well as for freestyle disciplines.

Some bike that I would suggest are:

1. Diamondback Atroz Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
2. Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
3. Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bike
4. Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup
5. Merax Falcon Full Suspension Mountain Bike
Old 01-24-21, 09:46 AM
justrhines

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good points by Richard. I personally started on a Specialized Hardrock, and really have loved it. Again, partial to the Specialized brand, but it's been great to me.