Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottecchia Giro d'Italia

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottecchia Giro d'Italia

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 12:54 PM
numeraltoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottecchia Giro d'Italia

Hey all, my grandpa came by today and asked me if I could sell his old bike. I've been researching these, but I just don't know if this bike is desirable or not. Any input?

It all seems to be in nice condition, rides well, and shifts clean.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5163.jpg (43.6 KB, 46 views)
IMG_5164.jpg (57.9 KB, 49 views)
IMG_5167.JPG (80.7 KB, 45 views)
IMG_5169.jpg (48.9 KB, 46 views)
IMG_5152.jpg (92.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 07-30-15, 12:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Hopefully the mods will move this thread to the classic and vintage valuation thread. This is a really nice older bike with desirable components and a good quality frame (based on the forged drop outs). Others who will come along will be able to identify this bike. Can you post pictures of any tubing stickers? This bike looks to be in very good shape and relatively unmolested with original parts intact. That will help its value.
Old 07-30-15, 01:15 PM
numeraltoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Hopefully the mods will move this thread to the classic and vintage valuation thread. This is a really nice older bike with desirable components and a good quality frame (based on the forged drop outs). Others who will come along will be able to identify this bike. Can you post pictures of any tubing stickers? This bike looks to be in very good shape and relatively unmolested with original parts intact. That will help its value.
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a Valuation thread. Attached are pics of the stickers.
Attached Images
IMG_5170.JPG (94.5 KB, 25 views)
IMG_5171.jpg (39.1 KB, 27 views)
IMG_5172.jpg (35.2 KB, 30 views)
IMG_5173.JPG (80.2 KB, 33 views)
IMG_5174.jpg (33.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-30-15, 03:30 PM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
A Giro d'Italia will be valuable to someone, but I am not giving you an appraisal. I can tell you that I have the same frame and I love riding it. It has the same frame and tubing as the top-end model of the period (68-72) which they called the Professional. It just doesn't have all of the Nuovo Record components that were typically on a Professional. this one appears to be mostly stock. In the catalogs, they were specd with that Nervar crank, early Record rear derailleur, universal center pulls, and ttt stem, just like it appears this bike has. It looks like the shifters may have been replaced. So when describing it, you can refer to is as a mostly stock. What I don't recall is what they typically had for stock wheel sets - though tubular is likely.
Old 07-30-15, 03:53 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Great looking bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-30-15, 03:56 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I agree with Idmataya that the shifters are almost certainly replacements. They look like Suntour power ratchet shifters, which work great but date from 10 to 15 years later than some of the other components. To my eye, the bike looks like it was spec'd with high-end stuff from the mid-60s. The Campy Record (not Nuovo Record) rear derailleur, the Nervar cranks and the Universal 61 brakes would certainly fit that description.

The Nervar cranks themselves are something of a rarity these days, and not necessarily in a good way. They were good cranks, but they never had the cache here that Campy or TA or Stronglight or, later, Shimamo enjoyed in the US market. They also have a bolt center diameter that is not what is now considered a standard size, meaning finding replacement chainrings is not easy. I suspect, but don't know, that the same it also true of the threading size for the tool needed to remove the crank arms.

It's a nice looking bike, and certainly a bike worthy of still being ridden.
Old 07-30-15, 05:00 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I'm a big Bottecchia fan. Bought one brand new back in 1972. The best Bottecchias are equiped with Columbus frames and all Campagnola components. I don't know enough about your frame & parts to make a reasonable estimate of what it's worth. However, it's a good looking Italian bike which means it's worth roughly 2X comparable bikes from other locations.
Old 07-30-15, 06:10 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just for fun, i'd guess between 500 to 800 for a sale. A few listings on ebay, and quite a range of pricing,. if you are in no hurry you could probably net more, but somewhere there would move the bike without you feeling like you just sold your babe ruth baseball cards
Old 07-30-15, 06:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The Nervar cranks themselves are something of a rarity these days, and not necessarily in a good way. They were good cranks, but they never had the cache here that Campy or TA or Stronglight or, later, Shimamo enjoyed in the US market. They also have a bolt center diameter that is not what is now considered a standard size, meaning finding replacement chainrings is not easy. I suspect, but don't know, that the same it also true of the threading size for the tool needed to remove the crank arms.
Although the BCD is unique at 128mm, the extractor thread is standard 22 x 1mm. Chainrings for these turn up on eBay at times, but tooth count selection is limited.
Old 08-01-15, 05:27 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
hmmmmmm.................. just saw a bike in a local shop today with a $450 price sticker on it.
Old 08-01-15, 06:08 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
?....equipped with Columbus frames and all Campagnola components.
Campagnolo