Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DA12 coming some details

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DA12 coming some details

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 11:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@Koyote I think most Di2 owners will agree with you that an electronic groupset doesn't shift any or at least much better than a perfectly tuned mech group. People buy it for a lot of other reasons like no maintenance ever, being able to shift from anywhere, reassign the buttons to your liking, display what gear you're in, have data on how much time and power you spend on each gear combination, and also consistently excellent shifting every time over the life of the groupset.
I didn't buy electronic group sets for any of those reasons. I bought them because they shift faster and more precisely than the best mechanical group set.
Old 12-01-20, 08:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
@Koyote I think most Di2 owners will agree with you that an electronic groupset doesn't shift any or at least much better than a perfectly tuned mech group. People buy it for a lot of other reasons like no maintenance ever, being able to shift from anywhere, reassign the buttons to your liking, display what gear you're in, have data on how much time and power you spend on each gear combination, and also consistently excellent shifting every time over the life of the groupset.
I completely agree; that was my thinking when I wrote " I don't think my Di2 bike shifts any better than my mechanical Shimano bikes. It does offer some nice capabilities, but nothing essential."

Though it seems that many (perhaps most, from what I've seen) Di2 owners do think that it shifts better than a perfectly tuned mech group, that's not been my experience -- but Di2 does have all of the other positive attributes that you mentioned. In fact, I'm not sure that I will ever buy another bike with a mechanical groupset.
Old 12-01-20, 08:21 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I didn't buy electronic group sets for any of those reasons. I bought them because they shift faster and more precisely than the best mechanical group set.
I'm not sure you've ridden a good and well-tuned mechanical groupset.
Old 12-01-20, 08:31 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How much of a premium would people pay for a cassette that can be disassembled and the individual gears be swapped out/replaced? You could do it back in the freewheel era.
That is unlikely to ever be suggested by Shimano. The shift aids (Hyperglide features) of each cog is designed to work with are angularly oriented relative to the cogs and shift aids on either side.
Old 12-01-20, 08:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by cuevélo
That is unlikely to ever be suggested by Shimano. The shift aids (Hyperglide features) of each cog is designed to work with are angularly oriented relative to the cogs and shift aids on either side.
Are you insinuating that, for instance, a 16t on a 12-25t might be different from a 16t on an 11-32t. I would doubt that very much.
Old 12-01-20, 09:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you insinuating that, for instance, a 16t on a 12-25t might be different from a 16t on an 11-32t. I would doubt that very much.
Actually, though no idea if this is because of what was claimed.. the part number is different:
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-01-20, 09:39 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Actually, though no idea if this is because of what was claimed.. the part number is different:
Huh, cool. I'd be interested to hear how much of a difference it makes in real word shifting performance. I wouldn't think that it would be that much, but then again, going by the chart, it looks as if Shimano has gone to the trouble of making at least four different 19t cogs, which seems a bit much unless it's going to have a meaningful impact.
Old 12-01-20, 10:01 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Not all cogs will be different; it depends on how things line up. But there will be some different cogs.

Huh, cool. I'd be interested to hear how much of a difference it makes in real word shifting performance. I wouldn't think that it would be that much, but then again, going by the chart, it looks as if Shimano has gone to the trouble of making at least four different 19t cogs, which seems a bit much unless it's going to have a meaningful impact.
Apparently it makes enough difference for Shimano to spend the time and money making multiple different cogs. It doesn't seem to be something that is just for marketing, as not many people are aware of it.
Likes For cuevélo:
Old 12-01-20, 10:35 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I think even their chainrings are specific (the 36 for a 46/36 is different from a 52/36). They’ll work mis-matched, but some degree less so.
Old 12-01-20, 10:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
My guess is, if it's an alignment/angle thing, that variations exist depending on how many tooth differences there are in the cassette to the next lower cog, and/or also the next higher, or something like that. In combo depending on eg. if the 19T is the 7, 8, or 9th cog in an 11s cassette.

To use a picture, the teeth align with the drawn red line, but this is not parallel to the freehub, they are at a specific angle. Easy to imagine removing any given cog, and pushing the rest to close the gap, and that red line would get jagged, unless the appropriate angled cogs precede or follow, etc. How much it matters with actual shift performance, I'm unsure.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-01-20, 11:21 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure you've ridden a good and well-tuned mechanical groupset.
I've owned most Shimano (105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace) and Campy (Athena, Chorus, Record, SR) mechanical groups. I still ride SR-11 and Chorus-12 mechanical groups. They are very nice, but the electronic groups I own (Record & SR EPS) offer quicker and more precise shifting. And, they do it with very little effort, under heavy load, and in wet dirty conditions.
Old 12-01-20, 11:34 AM
Koyote

I've owned most Shimano (105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace) and Campy (Athena, Chorus, Record, SR) mechanical groups. I still ride SR-11 and Chorus-12 mechanical groups. They are very nice, but the electronic groups I own (Record & SR EPS) offer quicker and more precise shifting. And, they do it with very little effort, under heavy load, and in wet dirty conditions.

I very much agree with the part in bold, so that is certainly an advantage.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-01-20, 12:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I completely agree; that was my thinking when I wrote " I don't think my Di2 bike shifts any better than my mechanical Shimano bikes. It does offer some nice capabilities, but nothing essential."

Though it seems that many (perhaps most, from what I've seen) Di2 owners do think that it shifts better than a perfectly tuned mech group, that's not been my experience -- but Di2 does have all of the other positive attributes that you mentioned. In fact, I'm not sure that I will ever buy another bike with a mechanical groupset.
There was a thread recently about Di2 where a surprising number of Di2 owners said their electronic bikes didn't shift any or much better than their mechanical bikes. Most of them said they wouldn't go back for other reasons. Anyway you said you were in a very small minority about shift quality and I don't think that's true. My last Ultegra (mech) bike shifted perfectly too. Maybe we need a new thread with a poll.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-01-20, 12:56 PM
Koyote

There was a thread recently about Di2 where a surprising number of Di2 owners said their electronic bikes didn't shift any or much better than their mechanical bikes. Most of them said they wouldn't go back for other reasons. Anyway you said you were in a very small minority about shift quality and I don't think that's true. My last Ultegra (mech) bike shifted perfectly too. Maybe we need a new thread with a poll.
I must've missed the thread to which you are referring...Wish I had seen it. When I have expressed my sentiments in at least one other thread, I got a lot of pushback.

But I do agree with you that Di2 doesn't drift out-of-adjustment the way a mechanical groupset will over time, and I love love love the gearing readout on my computer.

I think my fave thing about Di2, though, is having two fewer cables cluttering up the front end of my bike. That, along with the bar-end junction A box, makes for a super-clean looking front end.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-01-20, 07:26 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Oh, and discs are totally not hard to work on. On the whole, they need much less intervention than rim.
I hate to jump on board the derail, but this is the opposite of my experience.

With the possible exception of fiddly oddball chainstay calipers or whatever, rim brakes are an absolute piece of piss to sort, unless perhaps you're trying to eliminate squeal on a hybrid, where lack of quality, and the geometry of the whole system is apt to conspire against fixing it.

Issues that can crop up with discs, although not hugely common, aren't limited to poor quality gear, and can prove to be painful time sinks due to the fine tolerances involved and the fact that much is hidden from plain view. I'd like to think that some of the dumber problems like poor caliper mounting point alignment were down to teething issues, but can't confirm since I haven't been working as a mechanic for a couple of years...
Old 12-01-20, 07:58 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Kimmo
With the possible exception of fiddly oddball chainstay calipers or whatever, rim brakes are an absolute piece of piss to sort ...
Is "piece of piss" good or bad?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-01-20, 08:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
haha! example of language being the same but different.
in the post he is saying rim brakes are easy, but that term sure seems like a negative one.
Old 12-01-20, 08:18 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by seypat
How much of a premium would people pay for a cassette that can be disassembled and the individual gears be swapped out/replaced? You could do it back in the freewheel era.
You could also do it in the Uniglide days of the cassette era.

But I understand why it went away; with proper tooth profiling, cogs have to be shaped to go next to their neighbours, which makes mix and match complicated and ultimately impractical when you'd have to stock 3 or 4 versions of each cog.

All I want is a decent selection of ratios, and you'd think cog proliferation should make that easier and easier, but nooo. I've gotta have a useless to me 11t, and soon 10t will be impossible to get away from. I have no idea why 11s 12-27 isn't common as mud, since that perfectly suits the type of riding lots of cyclists continue to do.

But instead of having something that works beautifully for 99% of stuff, folks have gone for something that works okay for 100% of stuff. Seems dumb to me.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 12-01-20, 08:19 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

As in, piss-easy. (Phrase obviously wasn't coined by an old geezer)
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 12-01-20, 08:58 PM
WhyFi

.... I haven't been working as a mechanic for a couple of years...
Yeah, I know - you drop in on this subject regularly. Your experience isn't typical... and I'm not speaking about good/bad experience with rim/disc, I'm talking about your experience working on bikes. For someone that's been working on bikes for ages, I've no doubt that rim brake problems are easy to sort out. For someone that's not as familiar with them, they can be fiddly, temperamental, and frustrating and they can spend much of their time working suboptimally.
Old 12-01-20, 09:52 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Oh, it's meaningful. BITD when I ran a 7s Shimano cassette and Ergos with a Campy RD, I cobbled together a 13-20 using MTB 18 & 20, and the shift between the 17 and 18 was junk; worse than plain cogs IIRC.
Old 12-02-20, 01:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

With the possible exception of fiddly oddball chainstay calipers or whatever, rim brakes are an absolute piece of piss to sort, unless perhaps you're trying to eliminate squeal on a hybrid, where lack of quality, and the geometry of the whole system is apt to conspire against fixing it.

Issues that can crop up with discs, although not hugely common, aren't limited to poor quality gear, and can prove to be painful time sinks due to the fine tolerances involved and the fact that much is hidden from plain view. I'd like to think that some of the dumber problems like poor caliper mounting point alignment were down to teething issues, but can't confirm since I haven't been working as a mechanic for a couple of years...
Windows is so easy to use because it's kind of dumb and just does what you tell it, Android is a completely different kind of dumb where it's constantly trying to guess what I want and usually getting it wrong. I need to attach a pdf I signed to an email, in Windows I could just point to where the file is, on Android it keeps offering images and audio but won't let me go to a file browser.

Of course we're both more comfortable using the technology we grew up with.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-20, 02:15 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yeah, I know - you drop in on this subject regularly. Your experience isn't typical... and I'm not speaking about good/bad experience with rim/disc, I'm talking about your experience working on bikes. For someone that's been working on bikes for ages, I've no doubt that rim brake problems are easy to sort out. For someone that's not as familiar with them, they can be fiddly, temperamental, and frustrating and they can spend much of their time working suboptimally.
When I see recommendations to use a blowtorch on rotors to clean off contaminants, I have a hard time taking that seriously.

So of course I was down at the shop over lunch talking about a Topstone.
Old 12-02-20, 02:34 PM
tomato coupe

Windows is so easy to use because it's kind of dumb and just does what you tell it...
Upcoming Di2 is going to be Windows based? We'll have to redefine what it means to crash a bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-02-20, 02:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
To use a picture, the teeth align with the drawn red line, but this is not parallel to the freehub, they are at a specific angle. Easy to imagine removing any given cog, and pushing the rest to close the gap, and that red line would get jagged, unless the appropriate angled cogs precede or follow, etc. How much it matters with actual shift performance, I'm unsure.

It probably doesn't matter at all. There seems to be one point where they line up, and the rest are staggered due to there being more teeth on bigger cogs.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.