Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Biking Fingerless Glove Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Biking Fingerless Glove Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 06:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
I double wrapped the top bar of the drops, and it works for my large hands.

Old 12-02-20, 07:11 PM
WanderingAlbatr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are people's thoughts on Wolf Tooth's 5 mm (2x thick) bar tape versus double wrapping with conventional tape?

It looks like the 5 mm bar tape just came out a few months ago so there might be limited experience with it.
Old 12-02-20, 07:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by WanderingAlbatr
Thank you for all of the feedback!

I got the new bike a few months ago and I still getting the fit dialed in. At times I am getting sensitivity at the center base of my palms. I did not have this issue with my previous bike nearly as much.

I might have too much weight on my palms. I ordered a shorter stem to give that a try along with double checking the seat location. I also plan to try out some of the mentioned gloves.

The endurance bike has 28 mm tires so the ride is well cushioned. It seems that the hand issue is mainly due to too much load on my palms and not as much due to vibration.

I also like the idea of the thicker bar tape. Right now, I just have the factory bar tape. The bar diameter is larger than my previous bike so that should help a little.
More reach is usually better. Try moving the saddle back to take some weight of your hands. Plus it helps to be attentive to how you position your hands on the bars: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post12953035

You might take a look at my bike fitting primer: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
Old 12-03-20, 06:47 PM
JoeO

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not really an Assos kind of guy but their Summer gloves are awesome. After I bought one pair on a whim I like them so much that I bought 6 more. Best ones I've ever worn

summerGloves_s7 (assos.com)
Old 12-04-20, 07:15 PM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Hi. Newbie here. I know I'm suppose to start out with a thread like "What's the deal with all the weight weenies I see without valve stem covers?. How many watts do they think they are saving?" Anyhoo, looking at the picture that 10 Wheels posted I see the cut off fingers of Mechanix gloves (great idea and I think I might try that). I also see a mirror attached to the glove (brilliant!). That's exactly what I want. Where do I get a mirror like that?
Old 12-05-20, 10:29 PM
WanderingAlbatr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My saddle was rotated downward (lower in the front) and leveling it has helped a bit. I measured it at about negative 6 degrees. Seem to have less pressure on my hands now.

Still working on the other angles, but things are improving!
Old 12-06-20, 01:16 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I’ve had excellent results for years with Specialized gel gloves
Old 12-08-20, 12:12 AM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"Depor Village" is the best place I know for bike gloves. They have about 30 different makes of fingerless road gloves, including the nice European brands. Here's a link: https://www.deporvillage.net/gloves:road:short

My favorite are Briko "High Visibility" gloves. They fit me great, and have just the right amount of padding - but no more. I've gotten comments on the efficacy of their reflective backs. They're a real bargain too! I like mine so much, I've ordered a bunch to give to cycling friends and family members.
Old 12-08-20, 02:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishV8
"Depor Village" is the best place I know for bike gloves. They have about 30 different makes of fingerless road gloves, including the nice European brands. Here's a link: https://www.deporvillage.net/gloves:road:short

My favorite are Briko "High Visibility" gloves. They fit me great, and have just the right amount of padding - but no more. I've gotten comments on the efficacy of their reflective backs. They're a real bargain too! I like mine so much, I've ordered a bunch to give to cycling friends and family members.
I was going to order a pair, looks good, except that shipping would have been $25. Maybe Covid related issue? I bought an expensive saddle from them, saved more than the shipping, but.