Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Facilities manager needs bicycle rack advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Facilities manager needs bicycle rack advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 04:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by megaclyde
Thank you everyone for the input. I just ordered a few of the ring type racks that we'll mount parallel to the building on a wide covered sidewalk. The plan is to mount them close to the building so that only one side of the rack is used and bikes are parallel to the building causing the least obstruction to the sidewalk. This also has the added benefit of providing the most shelter for the bikes and keeping them very near the entrances to the buildings.
Make sure you space them far enough so the bikes won't overlap. Imagine car owners seeing their cars making contact with each other in the parking lot.
Old 04-06-18, 05:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
They're OK if you park laterally and take up the whole thing.

One reason they're so popular, is that the manufacturers exaggerate how many bikes they can hold, and people who never have to use them believe it.

This - never happens.
I rarely see bikes parked under the "waves", and have never seen a rack like the one above with every slot filled (13 bikes in the photo above). You'd be more likely to see bikes on the two ends, and on the top of each of the waves... capacity of about 7 bikes.

That is assuming one doesn't get perhaps 4 chained to the rack sideways, and that is a long rack. Or, in some cases, 2 chained to the side of the rack, and the rack close enough to a wall that it is inconvenient to get behind it.

The single hoop racks can generally take 2 bikes in either orientation, depending on where the racks are.

I don't know about your regular commuters, but also consider people towing bike trailers, and how they interact with the racks.
Old 04-06-18, 10:02 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
The madrax bike lockers are honestly pretty reasonably priced for a commercial security product. Single diagonally-split locker with two doors to fit two bikes, with floor, for 1500 bucks, or without floor for 1300.
Old 04-07-18, 11:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikefixation.com/

https://www.bikefixation.com/resourc...ical-documents
Old 04-07-18, 02:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I recall Eugene downtown campus of community college had a stand them up hang from the front wheel bike rack.

it was made of chain-link steel fencing, and steel pipe .. and each bike had a separate door ..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ kind of a layout, doors closing on both sides with your U lock/ heavy padlock .. took up very little space

under an overhang so out of the rain..
Old 04-07-18, 02:49 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Positioning Single-Sided Grid Bike Rack

I use a U-lock and I leave one pannier (tools, spares, etc.) on the bike when I park at work.

The “Single-Sided Grid Bike Rack” style works for me if there is an end-spot and I can lock to the diagonal. However, my building recently flooded and when they rebuilt it, they positioned the “old school” racks backwards. I found I could still lock to the end, but it is clumsier.

For all of you architects and facilities managers that are researching this vital topic, I’d say don’t use “Single-Sided Grid Bike Rack” but if you have to, position it correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rack Backwards.JPG (48.5 KB, 166 views)
Bike Lock.JPG (38.6 KB, 162 views)
Bike in Rack.JPG (31.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-07-18, 07:50 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I like the post and ring variety.
The ring easily accommodates different size and frame styles.
They are easy to mount and people seem to understand how they work.
Dero has some good examples.
Old 04-08-18, 01:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I recall Eugene downtown campus of community college had a stand them up hang from the front wheel bike rack.

it was made of chain-link steel fencing, and steel pipe .. and each bike had a separate door ..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ kind of a layout, doors closing on both sides with your U lock/ heavy padlock .. took up very little space

under an overhang so out of the rain..
I'll see if I can find them. I should be downtown sometime next week.
Old 04-08-18, 02:04 PM
CliffordK

Here is the Walmart swinging rack I mentioned earlier. There are some under the porticoes that are more popular during the winter, but this was good for the photos.

WalmartRack-1.jpg
WalmartRack-2.jpg

The rubber tire grabbers seem to work well, and so far seem to hold the bikes very stable, and then the swing arm would stabilize them a bit too.

My one complaint is that the loop in the arm seems to be a bit of a pain for a U-Lock. If I was doing it, I'd probably make the loop parallel to the axis of the swing arm, although I suppose that might stick out a bit. Also make that loop round rather than square and slightly larger.

One could get a similar effect with the old style tire racks, but using either a similar swing arm for the lock, or add chains attached to the rack.
Old 04-08-18, 02:48 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I personally prefer racks where I can apply Sheldon Brown's Kryptonite mini method: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
Though, I tend to buy a bigger u lock and lock the frame and rear wheel together with that method. Then the only major unlocked item is the front wheel, which can be secured using cables, etc.
Old 04-08-18, 07:00 PM
AK Eggy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steadyrack

I installed Steadyracks in 2 of our facilities where I work. They hold the bikes vertically on the wall and swivel left t right to reduce the amount of protrusion into the walkway. A good solution in my opinion if you wall space to work with.
Old 04-08-18, 07:10 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
if you are fortunate enough to live in a city with cycling as part of its transportation strategy, see if you can talk to those folks at city hall. They will have likely done research into best practices. If at all possible, stay away from vertical racks which require lifting which not everyone can do. It's a safety issue and not consistent with making cycling easy, plus they don't work well for city or electric bikes. Make it as easy as possible for people.
Old 04-08-18, 07:59 PM
ptrqc

Bikes: 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2010 SC Superlight, 2008 Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some strange forum rule doesn't allow me to post weblinks before you have 10 postings, so no quicklink to the below guide:

(add triple w before this....).apbp.org/resource/resmgr/Bicycle_Parking/EssentialsofBikeParking_FINA.pdf
Old 04-08-18, 11:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Another vote here for the wavy racks for multiples or the post-and-circle singles. The standard size U-lock was invented to encompass two tires and a parking meter post, the idea being you remove the front and put it next to the rear. The wavy racks are the same diameter post so the same idea works.

There are some seemingly-clever racks at my dentist's office that are supposed to hold the down tube with a shackle. But the down tube of almost any modern aluminum or carbon bike is too big to fit it.

There's something like those "Walmart" racks at our local CVS. They're not exactly the same, I don't remember the arm on the ones I'm thinking of. They are all now a very loose fit to the ground. I think someone tried to unscrew them and gave up when the bolt started to turn instead of the nut. In this photo, one of them is gone. The other rack you see is so close to the wall that a wheel doesn't sit down in it, and only half the positions are usable at all. Utter fail! Google street view link

Our Walmart, by comparison, has post-and-circle locks with some cables dangling off them, a nice touch so you wouldn't need a second lock or to remove the wheel, if you are bothering with that. Another Google street view link The same Walmart has bike boxes, but they are not occupied by bikes, ahem.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-09-18 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 10:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Grid-style racks are the worst.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-09-18, 07:28 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I also hate the ones that my job has installed. The old style I remember from school days. The traditional basic grid. Luckily there aren't many people who cycle to work so I can almost always grab an end spot to lock up. Trying to lock in the middle is a pain.
Old 03-05-19, 12:28 AM
sf2oz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steadyrack

Originally Posted by megaclyde
I'm in the fortunate position that I can use some of our facilities budget to add bike racks to the property. I'd like to get the opinions of some commuters about what kind of racks you prefer and why. If you could post a pick of the style you like I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't have the space or funds for lockers, but I will be putting the racks under permanent roof structures that will shield them from rain and sun exposure.
Hey mate ... not sure if you're still in the market ...but if you are I'd recommend installing some Steadyracks (steadyrack.com) because they're easy to install, simple to use and have a pivot feature that maximises space, especially when sharing the area with cars.
Old 03-17-19, 07:15 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I am the only commuter at my work, and that's in the good weather. They were thinking of putting up a permanent bike rack, but I got them to buy a couple of Feedback Sports RAKK stands. Portable, quick to setup, I dont have to lock my bike up as we have a secure facility, and its covered. Sometimes I bring it inside the building in the hotter months.
Old 03-18-19, 04:50 PM
CharlieFree

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I think the Post/ring and Inverted U are most useful. Not a fan of vertical racks as not everyone has the strength to lift ebikes or city-style bikes; they don't accommodate fat bikes well, and it's sometimes hard to lift into position without damaging rear fenders. Basically you want to make locking up as easy as possible for everyone.
Old 03-19-19, 09:16 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieFree
Not a fan of vertical racks as not everyone has the strength to lift ebikes or city-style bikes; they don't accommodate fat bikes well, and it's sometimes hard to lift into position without damaging rear fenders. Basically you want to make locking up as easy as possible for everyone.
Below is a video of the bike storage area for my building, and the adjacent buildings on my block that are owned by the same scummy real estate development company. Obviously it is all vertical racks, and indeed they force you to rest a lot of weight on the rear fender, and are generally annoying to use.

As I mentioned previously, I very rarely see other people on bikes, even during the summer months, other than delivery people. I have no idea what most of these bikes are used for, or when. With this number of bikes for just a few buildings on the same block, you would think our neighborhood would be crawling with bikes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhvsq4RBb5I

Last edited by robertorolfo; 03-19-19 at 09:19 AM.