Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jonsing for new wheels! (Yes, another wheel thread. It must be spring!)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 10:08 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

So, I may have a nice new job in the offing--cross your fingers!--and I'm thinking if I get it, I want new wheels for my Domane Disc 6.x. (6-series frame that was a warranty replacement for my defective 4.5 frame.)

This is my third summer of biking, and my riding style is hard-working middle-aged newbie, trying to gain fitness and speed. I've done a half-century and am shooting to do a full century this summer. My average speed is usually around 16-17mph over 30 miles or so.

My price range is to roughly $1500, MAX, (And only really because of the Hunt wheels. See below.) but I'd like to try to keep it closer to $1000, or below, if I can. I want something substantially lighter and more aerodynamic than the bontrager wheels that came on my bike, which are 1750g/pair.

I want something in the 25mm width, and preferably in a 38-40mm depth. I could be convinced to go deeper, but am reluctant to go shallower. (With one exception, which you'll see.) I've been looking around and have put together a list of likely candidates. I'd love opinions from people that have either seen/used/own these wheels, or know someone with experience with them, etc.!

My list so far. (I know there's a huge price range in here, but as you all know, I started at a $600 pricepoint and...well.. you know. )

Hunt 38 @ roughly $1300 US

Hunt Aero light Shallow, and too narrow, but really light! And cheap!

HED Ardennes SL + (The only sub 38 wheel I'm interested in. Got great reviews.) Can be found for ~$950

Farsports 38s Yes, chinese carbon, but really nice hardware, and I've heard of plenty of good experiences with the farsports wheels. I could also go downmarket for the novatech hubs for around $300 less.

And just to be different: Build-your own Bdop wheels. (Nope, never built a wheel, but would like to, so add in a truing stand and spoke tension meter into the price.)

Are there any other wheels I'm missing? The November industries wheels all seem a little shallow and heavy, and the DTS wheels are too narrow. (I'm running 28s on my Domane, and would like to try 30s, so a wider wheel is better for that.)

So have at it. Tell me what I've missed, tell me I'm an idiot for thinking of chinese carbon AND the Hunt wheels at the same time; tell me I'm an idiot for missing brand xxxx because they rock and are cheaper/slightly more, whatever. Opinions! (Oh, but don't bother telling me disc brakes suck and how I would have a wider selection to choose from if I had rim brakes, blah blah. I'm a total disc convert and I ain't budging. lol.)

Thanks, people!

Last edited by Wheever; 04-06-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 12:22 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
So, I may have a nice new job in the offing--cross your fingers!--and I'm thinking if I get it, I want new wheels for my Domane Disc 6.x. (6-series frame that was a warranty replacement for my defective 4.5 frame.)

This is my third summer of biking, and my riding style is hard-working middle-aged newbie, trying to gain fitness and speed. I've done a half-century and am shooting to do a full century this summer. My average speed is usually around 16-17mph over 30 miles or so.

My price range is to roughly $1500, MAX, (And only really because of the Hunt wheels. See below.) but I'd like to try to keep it closer to $1000, or below, if I can. I want something substantially lighter and more aerodynamic than the bontrager wheels that came on my bike, which are 1750g/pair.

I want something in the 25mm width, and preferably in a 38-40mm depth. I could be convinced to go deeper, but am reluctant to go shallower. (With one exception, which you'll see.) I've been looking around and have put together a list of likely candidates. I'd love opinions from people that have either seen/used/own these wheels, or know someone with experience with them, etc.!

My list so far. (I know there's a huge price range in here, but as you all know, I started at a $600 pricepoint and...well.. you know. )

Hunt 38 @ roughly $1300 US

Hunt Aero light Shallow, and too narrow, but really light! And cheap!

HED Ardennes SL + (The only sub 38 wheel I'm interested in. Got great reviews.) Can be found for ~$950

Farsports 38s Yes, chinese carbon, but really nice hardware, and I've heard of plenty of good experiences with the farsports wheels. I could also go downmarket for the novatech hubs for around $300 less.

And just to be different: Build-your own Bdop wheels. (Nope, never built a wheel, but would like to, so add in a truing stand and spoke tension meter into the price.)

Are there any other wheels I'm missing? The November industries wheels all seem a little shallow and heavy, and the DTS wheels are too narrow. (I'm running 28s on my Domane, and would like to try 30s, so a wider wheel is better for that.)

So have at it. Tell me what I've missed, tell me I'm an idiot for thinking of chinese carbon AND the Hunt wheels at the same time; tell me I'm an idiot for missing brand xxxx because they rock and are cheaper/slightly more, whatever. Opinions! (Oh, but don't bother telling me disc brakes suck and how I would have a wider selection to choose from if I had rim brakes, blah blah. I'm a total disc convert and I ain't budging. lol.)

Thanks, people!
BOYDS 44MM carbon clincher Boyds wheels have the best specs from any other wheel out there for an affordable price , that what I have , my friend has some zip 303 and they are not as stiff as the Boyds .
Old 04-06-16, 12:35 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Well, with that budget I would go with November Rail 52 which now can be used tubeless and has a hub set produced by White Industries. In fact, that is exactly what I did when I made the wheel decision a bit over a month ago. They currently have a promotion going on where you get 80 bucks off if you want to go with a colored White Industry T11 hub set.

November Bicycles: Race smart. - Rail Carbon Wheels
Old 04-06-16, 12:56 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
November Rail with the Ti hub
Old 04-06-16, 01:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Everybody I've talked to loves these. I've been considering a pair myself.
Old 04-06-16, 01:28 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Well, with that budget I would go with November Rail 52 which now can be used tubeless and has a hub set produced by White Industries. In fact, that is exactly what I did when I made the wheel decision a bit over a month ago. They currently have a promotion going on where you get 80 bucks off if you want to go with a colored White Industry T11 hub set.

Doesn't appear to be a disc version. As I said in my post, I'm looking for disc wheels. Other than that, they look pretty awesome. But no disc version.
Old 04-06-16, 01:36 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Doesn't appear to be a disc version. As I said in my post, I'm looking for disc wheels. Other than that, they look pretty awesome. But no disc version.
Yeah, I missed that part, but you can get a Rail 52 in a disc configuration. I know I've seen rail 52s as disc wheels on that website; they may offer it as a custom build.

November is coming out with a disc specific carbon rim called the Range. They might be taking orders for them now. November Bicycles: Race smart. - November Bicycles Blog
Old 04-06-16, 01:40 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Go for the Hunts (as long as you're willing to wait).
Old 04-06-16, 01:44 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely wouldn't pay close to a grand for HED Ardennes when you can get those November Ti hubs laced to Pacentis.
Old 04-06-16, 02:20 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by allen254
BOYDS 44MM carbon clincher Boyds wheels have the best specs from any other wheel out there for an affordable price , that what I have , my friend has some zip 303 and they are not as stiff as the Boyds .
OOh! Never heard of them. They look pretty hot. Thanks!
Old 04-06-16, 02:43 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Yeah, I missed that part, but you can get a Rail 52 in a disc configuration. I know I've seen rail 52s as disc wheels on that website; they may offer it as a custom build.

November is coming out with a disc specific carbon rim called the Range. They might be taking orders for them now. November Bicycles: Race smart. - November Bicycles Blog
That's odd, since the Rail 34s have a disc option as a standard build - must be because they're also meant for cyclocross.

Disc is listed as an option under "Roll Your Own" with either rim, so the option is there. It's $50 more for the 34 disc option, imagine it wouldn't be much different for the 52s.
Old 04-06-16, 02:46 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

Now THOSE look exciting. I wonder when/if they're coming out, and how much they will be? Thanks for the head's up on this, I didn't see it on the site.
Old 04-06-16, 02:50 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
That's odd, since the Rail 34s have a disc option as a standard build - must be because they're also meant for cyclocross.

Disc is listed as an option under "Roll Your Own" with either rim, so the option is there. It's $50 more for the 34 disc option, imagine it wouldn't be much different for the 52s.
I looked under the "roll your own" and didn't actually see where you could choose disc hubs. But putting disc hubs on wheels with a brake track defeats one of the great things about discs which is lighter rims and better aerodynamics since you don't need the thicker sides and flattening of the rim for the brake track. Hmm. Those November Ranges, on the other hand, look brilliant. I wonder when they're coming out and if they'll be in my price range. Probably not. I'll send them an email and see what they have to say for themselves!
Old 04-06-16, 03:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Would love to hear what you find out. I just picked up a disc brake road bike too, and the wheels it came with are anchors.
Old 04-06-16, 04:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

You beat me to it. That's my vote.
Old 04-06-16, 05:11 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check out PSIMET. Custom Bicycle Wheels - Hand Built Carbon and Aluminum Wheels - PSIMET : PSIMET Custom Wheels

Rob (Psimet2001 here on the forum) has been building up great wheels for quite a while now.
Old 04-06-16, 05:26 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Check out PSIMET. Custom Bicycle Wheels - Hand Built Carbon and Aluminum Wheels - PSIMET : PSIMET Custom Wheels

Rob (Psimet2001 here on the forum) has been building up great wheels for quite a while now.
They don't have aero-type road disc wheels. I see some cyclocross wheels, but they're pretty heavy. Thanks for the info, though!
Old 04-06-16, 06:06 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

Just found this blog post. I think it's going to be a while before the range is released. Drag.

November Bicycles: Race smart. - November Bicycles Blog - Range*Update
Old 04-07-16, 10:12 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Actually we do. I build mostly to suit. We don't have a ton that we have listed as catalog sets on the site with pictures and pricing.

We do a killer 40mm deep disc specific carbon with a wide array of hub options and axle standards in just about any color you can imagine and for prices less than most with a higher build quality than many if not most as well.

We've been doing disc for longer than almost anyone else.
Old 04-07-16, 10:29 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,937 Times in 1,763 Posts
Just a question but is aero a need at your avg speeds? Has your average pace of the past couple years been steadily increasing where you'll soon start benefiting from the deeper rims? Just something to consider.

Or maybe I'm just making an assumption based on your comments on rim depth...

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-07-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-07-16, 11:04 AM
November Dave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Just found this blog post. I think it's going to be a while before the range is released. Drag.

November Bicycles: Race smart. - November Bicycles Blog - Range*Update
What we hope will be the final pre-production rims are in the air on the way to us now. If this iteration does everything it should, then we'll be live for orders quite soon for delivery in May. But if they aren't everything they ought to be, we'll keep working.

The Nimbus Ti builds are available with a whole slew of alloy rims. The Range addresses what we think is a sizable hole in the rim landscape, but getting it 100% right is our priority.

Thanks
Old 04-07-16, 02:01 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by November Dave
What we hope will be the final pre-production rims are in the air on the way to us now. If this iteration does everything it should, then we'll be live for orders quite soon for delivery in May. But if they aren't everything they ought to be, we'll keep working.

The Nimbus Ti builds are available with a whole slew of alloy rims. The Range addresses what we think is a sizable hole in the rim landscape, but getting it 100% right is our priority.

Thanks
Oh man! That's good news! Thank you for stopping by my dumb thread and giving us an update!

The range looks incredible, and now that I know they might be in the offing, I'm going to hold off buying until they're out! I won't even wait for reviews, I have a feeling they're going to be world beaters, if you hit your mark, spec-wise.
Old 04-07-16, 07:40 PM
tnburban

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am also jonsing for some new wheels. I currently ride American Classics Aero 3 420 with Ultegra 10sp. Got a new bike that I haven't ridden much yet (Focus Team Izalco) that is 11sp and would like to upgrade from the stock Fulcrum 2.5 wheels. I think I am going to get another set of AC Aero 3 420 with 11sp hubs, though they are hard to find, and let my wife have the 10sp wheels as her ride is a 105 10 speed setup. The Aero 3 420 wheels are so versatile, especially where I live and ride here in hilly and mountainous terrain. Light, stiff, responsive and aero enough when needed. And braking is great as there is no carbon and on some of these rides I swear evil kenival himself mapped them out as we've had some insane descents that make me a little nervous.
Old 04-07-16, 10:47 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Just a question but is aero a need at your avg speeds? Has your average pace of the past couple years been steadily increasing where you'll soon start benefiting from the deeper rims? Just something to consider.

Or maybe I'm just making an assumption based on your comments on rim depth...
Well, yeah my speed has been increasing over the last couple of years, and hopefully I'll stay more and more in the aero is helpful range as time goes on. buying wheels that meet that anticpated future need makes sense to me.

That said, The more important dimension for me is really width, anyway.
Old 04-08-16, 02:46 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I mean, heck, you can waste your money if you want, but I am a lot older and a lot faster on wheels that are 1/4 the cost of wheels you are considering.
Why don't you save your money or put it in the college fund or buy your wife something nice which will give you much greater dividends and train with greater focus, ride with faster guys and get used to getting dropped and change your diet to get lean and strong. Otherwise you will just be another out of shape middle aged guy on a fancy set of wheels getting passed by older fit guys with $300 wheels.

You didn't get the memo, it ain't about the bike.
And if you think this isn't reality, I ride with one guy who is 72 years old who rides an average carbon Felt road bike with stock aluminum wheels and he can sustain 22 mph in no wind for 50 miles. A different set of wheels for him, me or you wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-08-16 at 06:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.