Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 06:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Thanks. Sounds like it will work, hopefully there is enough in my horizontal non-track dropouts :-o

Dave
You're welcome, though I wish you'd mentioned the horizontal dropouts in the first place.

Since the chain wraps only halfway around a sprocket, and since the added length is divided between the upper and lower loops, each added tooth makes a difference of 1/8" in the rear wheel position. (1/2" /4)

Even the shortest horizontal dropout has plenty of room, and could probably accommodate more than 8 added or removes sprocket teeth.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-31-18, 07:41 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're welcome, though I wish you'd mentioned the horizontal dropouts in the first place.

Since the chain wraps only halfway around a sprocket, and since the added length is divided between the upper and lower loops, each added tooth makes a difference of 1/8" in the rear wheel position. (1/2" /4)

Even the shortest horizontal dropout has plenty of room, and could probably accommodate more than 8 added or removes sprocket teeth.
I mentioned that the bike was a converted bike without track ends in post 420, but no worries. There is some room to go backward in the stay (away from the handlebars) though maybe not forward. Since the sum of the 45 + 17 and 44 + 18 gears is the same, it shouldn't move the rear wheel, right? Essentially i'm taking away a tooth in the front and adding one in the back. Not sure i can follow all of this, but worst case my lbs can bail me out if need be

Dave
Old 01-31-18, 07:50 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Since the sum of the 45 + 17 and 44 + 18 gears is the same, it shouldn't move the rear wheel, right? Essentially i'm taking away a tooth in the front and adding one in the back.
Yes, it's as simple as that when you're figuring where the axle will end up in the frame for a given chain length.
Old 01-31-18, 08:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I mentioned that the bike was a converted bike without track ends in post 420, but no worries. There is some room to go backward in the stay (away from the handlebars) though maybe not forward. Since the sum of the 45 + 17 and 44 + 18 gears is the same, it shouldn't move the rear wheel, right? Essentially i'm taking away a tooth in the front and adding one in the back. Not sure i can follow all of this, but worst case my lbs can bail me out if need be

Dave
Yes, I knew it didn't have track ends, but for the last 20-30 years vertical dropouts were the norm, so I wasn't expecting older horizontal road dropouts, especially since you are worried about needing to move the wheel.

So, as I said, 1/8" per tooth + a smaller adjustment for the change in the angle of the chain based on the different sprocket diameters. To know what that may be consider a right triangle with one side being the distance between the rings, the other being the vertical difference equal to the change in sprocket radius, and the chain forming the hypotenuse. so you can solve based on the formula a*+b*=c* (* means squared, but I can't type that here).

Or you can solve this with a pencil sketch. Measure the distance between the sprockets (on center), and mark that off on a sheet of paper. Now draw a right angle and measure off the difference in sprocket radius. Now measure the new chain path connecting the two end points.

It'll quickly be evident that small differences in sprocket size won't make much difference.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-02-18, 10:45 AM
epdarks

Bikes: various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Been looking at Vigorelli's and I found this Red Hook Crit version... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinelli-VIG...m/372072058675

Obviously a bit more money than the regular bike but in doing searches I am not able to find much information on this version. I believe they were given to the winners of the 2015 Milano RHC race... are there really only 3-4 framesets in existence?? Cannot seem to find a duplicate of this color scheme other than one other that it is in London.

I tend to like all things rare and expensive... I feel like this one might hold it's value? Good buy, or stick to the regular version for ~$850?
Old 02-02-18, 10:53 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by epdarks
Been looking at Vigorelli's and I found this Red Hook Crit version... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinelli-VIG...m/372072058675

Obviously a bit more money than the regular bike but in doing searches I am not able to find much information on this version. I believe they were given to the winners of the 2015 Milano RHC race... are there really only 3-4 framesets in existence?? Cannot seem to find a duplicate of this color scheme other than one other that it is in London.

I tend to like all things rare and expensive... I feel like this one might hold it's value? Good buy, or stick to the regular version for ~$850?
From the listing:

"Cinelli has been providing custom painted Vigorelli Track frames as first prize for the worlds premier track bike criterium since 2011 and you can own a replica of the frameset taken home by the 2015 RHC Milano Champion."

Apparently it's a limited-edition replica. Doesn't state how many are made but assume more than 3-4.
Old 02-02-18, 10:58 AM
epdarks

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
From the listing:

"Cinelli has been providing custom painted Vigorelli Track frames as first prize for the worlds premier track bike criterium since 2011 and you can own a replica of the frameset taken home by the 2015 RHC Milano Champion."

Apparently it's a limited-edition replica. Doesn't state how many are made but assume more than 3-4.

Gotcha. I guess if Cinelli is making a "replica" of the bike given to the champion then I might be down. If it's some aftermarket paint job then obviously not. Would be nice to know the production numbers. Likely gonna pass. Thanks.
Old 02-02-18, 11:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Ask yourself if you would pay $250 to have a regular Vigorelli painted that way.

I like the Italo colors way more but that's just me.

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/vigorell...set-new-italo/
Old 02-02-18, 12:00 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Those look more like Belgio colors to me.
Old 02-02-18, 01:56 PM
epdarks

I sent the seller a message about the bike and this is what I got back:

"Hi Dan,

This is a replica of the 2015 RHC Milano frame produced by Cinelli, manufactured and painted by Cinelli.
We do not have any information as to how many of these were produced."

So that is somewhat encouraging and also discouraging that they don't release the production numbers. Can't be many cause I still can't find any online.
Attached Images
File Type: png
VigorelliRHC.PNG (1.61 MB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
VigorelliRHC2.jpg (77.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-02-18, 04:25 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Caleido was the best Vigorelli paint scheme.

But if that one is legit, you dig it and have the money, go for it.
Old 02-02-18, 04:54 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
The Vigorosa was the best Vigorelli paint scheme.

Corrected that for you.
Old 02-02-18, 10:55 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Corrected that for you.
Well I think we can agree on the best two at least.
Old 02-03-18, 10:54 AM
bonsai171

Trying new gears

If I ride a 42x17 gear combo on a road bike, and the same on a fixed gear bike, would the gear inches be equivalent? In other words, would the derailleur on the geared bike affect the gear inches?

Dave
Old 02-03-18, 11:34 AM
FBinNY 

If I ride a 42x17 gear combo on a road bike, and the same on a fixed gear bike, would the gear inches be equivalent? In other words, would the derailleur on the geared bike affect the gear inches?

Dave
No, it's on the chain's return loop. Everything power related is about the upper loop and the sprockets.

Old 02-03-18, 11:37 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Gear inches = how many inches your bike will roll per full revolution of the crank.

42x17 is 42x17 regardless of which type of bike it's on if the wheels on both bikes are the same diameter. Different tire sizes will change it a very tiny bit though.
Old 02-03-18, 11:37 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
would the derailleur on the geared bike affect the gear inches
No. Wheel and tire size do, though.
Old 02-03-18, 11:47 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Gear inches = how many inches your bike will roll per full revolution of the crank.
That's what I once thought too, but it is incorrect. The bike will travel much farther with one crank revolution than the gear inch number. Go measure for yourself. Gear inch is a reference to what a particular wheel/chainring/cog combination would be equal to on a 1 to 1 driven fixed wheel... like the original "ordinary's".
Old 02-03-18, 12:20 PM
bonsai171

42x17 is 42x17 regardless of which type of bike it's on if the wheels on both bikes are the same diameter. Different tire sizes will change it a very tiny bit though.
That's what I was hoping. Going to try some gear combos on my geared bike and then buy the same ratio for the fixed bike. Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-03-18, 12:48 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
That's what I once thought too, but it is incorrect. The bike will travel much farther with one crank revolution than the gear inch number. Go measure for yourself. Gear inch is a reference to what a particular wheel/chainring/cog combination would be equal to on a 1 to 1 driven fixed wheel... like the original "ordinary's".
I had to look that up. Seems that what we commonly (incorrectly) believed "gear inches" to be, is actually "Meters of Development" or "Rollout".

A bike set up with 70 gear inches will actually roll 220 inches (5.6 meters) for each full crank revolution.

The same distance as a Penny farthing with a 70 inch wheel.

What an antiquated system we've remained attached to, for well over a hundred years. Crazy.
Old 02-03-18, 02:02 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Made the same discovery re: gear inches not too long ago.
It's our own little bizarro-retro measurement system with zero practical reference in the real world. I'd call that a win.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-03-18, 02:28 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I only ride a pogo stick so I was just taking a stab in the dark.
Old 02-03-18, 02:36 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I only ride a pogo stick so I was just taking a stab in the dark.
Well, we appreciate you hopping to it.
Old 02-03-18, 03:49 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
It's our own little bizarro-retro measurement system with zero practical reference in the real world. I'd call that a win.
GI is the gearing-speak of the sport putting any chainring/cog/wheel/tire combo into a single numeric value.
Trackies speak in GI and optimize gearing for training as well as each event and log times/cadence/gearing.
A Masters Worlds competitor was discussing training and refereed to warm-ups in 82 GI and efforts in 90 GI, what the chainring/cog/wheel/tire combo was is irrelevant.
Speaking in GI may be arcane and traditional but it is clear, concise and easy.

50 X 16 or 47 X 15, which is a "bigger gear" on 700 x 23?
Both 82 GI

-Bandera
Old 02-03-18, 03:57 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Made the same discovery re: gear inches not too long ago.
Whether we use the US/British gear inches (diameter) or the European development or rollout (circumference), it's a very practical way of thinking because it makes direct comparison of bikes with different wheel sizes possible.

Historically both date back to when highwheeler pedals were attached directly to the wheel, like a modern child's trike, and if you wanted to go faster you got a bigger wheel (up to the limits imposed by your leg length).

So while many consider this way to think of gearing a relic, it remains the most practical way to predict speed and climbing capability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.