Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 04:59 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Speaking in GI may be arcane and traditional but it is clear, concise and easy.

50 X 16 or 47 X 15, which is a "bigger gear" on 700 x 23?
Both 82 GI

-Bandera
Okay, yeah, mebbe I worded that poorly... it clearly has practical real-world applications.
But I said real-world reference. And the "arcane and traditional" roots -- using the diameter of a single giant wheel as reference point -- is hilarious. And a win for cyclists everywhere, functioning as our secret Masonic handshake.
So I stand by my earlier statement.
VIVA SEMANTICS!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-03-18, 05:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Okay, yeah, mebbe I worded that poorly... it clearly has practical real-world applications.
But I said real-world reference. And the "arcane and traditional" roots -- using the diameter of a single giant wheel as reference point -- is hilarious. ....
Yes, on the surface it seems kinda dumb. I agree but then we need to think about what would be better. GI has survived through over a century of chain drive for the simple reason that it works so well in the real world.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-03-18, 05:20 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, on the surface it seems kinda dumb.
I'd suggest that on the surface is where it makes sense. It's just when you start wondering "what exactly does this number mean" that things get silly.

"Yeah, it's 72 gear inches. Absolutely rocks for my day-to-day."
"But, ummmm, 72 gear inches? What the hell is that?"
"It's means every time I turn the crank I'll go just as far as I would on a Radio Flyer tricycle with a 6-foot front wheel."
"SWEET!"
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-03-18, 05:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I'd suggest that on the surface is where it makes sense. It's just when you start wondering "what exactly does this number mean" that things get silly.

"It's means every time I turn the crank I'll go just as far as I would on a Radio Flyer tricycle with a 6-foot front wheel."
"SWEET!"
While I know and have known for over 50 years what gear inches mean, I never think about that.

I just know from experience what 70 or 100 or 25 gear inches will mean in terms of being a match for conditions, ie. I can climb that hill in a 40" gear, or cruise along all day on my 70" fixed wheel.

So (to me) it's just a useful frame of reference an comparison that conveys all I need to know in one data bit. What it actually means doesn't really matter any more.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-18, 11:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm thinking of a Wabi Lightning SE and swapping parts between that and my Bianchi Pista.

The Pista has Nitto bar and stem, Dura Ace brakes, Thomson Elite post, Fizik Saddle, SRAM S500 levers and Dura Ace crankset/bottom bracket. That would all go on the Wabi and the parts from the Wabi would go onto the Pista with the idea of selling it. Both have Wabi Sub 15 wheels so I would keep the new set on the Wabi.

The Pista is fun but it doesn't have braze on for bottle cages and the Wabi would be around 17 lb where the Pista is almost 19 lb.

One concern is the note on the Wabi page which says that they will not guarantee that any part will fit other than what they supply with the bike and that they should be called to see if they know of any issues. Both the Wabi and Bianchi have 68 mm BSA bottom bracket shell but chainstay clearance for the DA crankset on the Wabi is a concern and I'll probably give them a call if I do decide to order.

Thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-05-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 12:49 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Although your chrome pista is one of my favorite pista's I've seen, I'd say go for it if you've got the time and money. Better steel, bottle cages and carbon fork would sell me (despite not loving either color).
Old 02-06-18, 10:18 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
That admonition from Wabi about using non-Wabi supplied parts is total bs. As long as a part is compatible with the dimensional specs, it’s gonna be ok.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-06-18, 11:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Jeremy from Wabi replied:
"We haven't heard of any problems with the Dura Ace specifically, but there has been some clearance issues with certain cranksets, such as the SRAM Omnium, with the Road Pro frame. The Lightning SE has more clearance, and shouldn't be an issue. "

-Tim-

Old 02-06-18, 12:11 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got back an old steel frame that was out in the Sun for a while. Everything is fine, but the aluminum seatpost is stuck, the person who was using it is short, so it's slammed all the way down.
Tips?
Old 02-06-18, 02:13 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
I got back an old steel frame that was out in the Sun for a while. Everything is fine, but the aluminum seatpost is stuck, the person who was using it is short, so it's slammed all the way down.
Tips?
Dissolve it with caustic soda.
Old 02-06-18, 02:37 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

"SWEET!"
Times pi is the distance (inches) that the bike travels during one pedal cycle. Mechanical advantage.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a Big Wheel or whatever, although that's how people understood it. "Back in the day"
Old 02-06-18, 06:01 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Tips?

Google "stuck seatpost bikeforums" then look for results from the Classic & Vintage subforum. We deal with stuck posts and stems all the time over there and your options are many.
Old 02-06-18, 09:46 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Tips?
I'd start by spraying penetrating fluid around the circumference of the seatpost/seat tube junction and letting it sit overnight.
Old 02-07-18, 08:44 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
I'd start by spraying penetrating fluid around the circumference of the seatpost/seat tube junction and letting it sit overnight.
If you can find a way to cool the seatpost, it should contract slightly and would help too. Maybe wrap it in ice packs.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 10:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

An aluminum post in a steel frame is likely corroded. Ammonia will dissolve aluminum oxide corrosion as will Draino. The problem is keeping the parts soaked in the stuff. Bathtub? Plastic tub with the bike hanging upside down from the rafters using ropes? I don't know.

Use an old saddle to twist the post, not a pipe wrench or pliers.

As a last resort, cut the post off and use a compact hacksaw to cut the post in the bore. A coat hanger with the tip bent can be used to determine the depth of the post.

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-07-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 03:24 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm taking the frame to my buddy's garage this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to resort to any of those methods. I'd probably end up with the ammonia trick.
Old 02-07-18, 06:32 PM
bonsai171

I'm taking the frame to my buddy's garage this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to resort to any of those methods. I'd probably end up with the ammonia trick.
If you have a good chunk of seatpost sticking out, you can wrap it in duct tape, then clamp it in a vise. Turn the frame, and you may be able to get it loose.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 06:46 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm thinking of a Wabi Lightning SE and swapping parts between that and my Bianchi Pista.

The Pista has Nitto bar and stem, Dura Ace brakes, Thomson Elite post, Fizik Saddle, SRAM S500 levers and Dura Ace crankset/bottom bracket. That would all go on the Wabi and the parts from the Wabi would go onto the Pista with the idea of selling it. Both have Wabi Sub 15 wheels so I would keep the new set on the Wabi.

The Pista is fun but it doesn't have braze on for bottle cages and the Wabi would be around 17 lb where the Pista is almost 19 lb.

One concern is the note on the Wabi page which says that they will not guarantee that any part will fit other than what they supply with the bike and that they should be called to see if they know of any issues. Both the Wabi and Bianchi have 68 mm BSA bottom bracket shell but chainstay clearance for the DA crankset on the Wabi is a concern and I'll probably give them a call if I do decide to order.

-Tim-
Tim,

Have you looked at the BB specs? Wabi uses a 103MM wide BB, and Dura Ace is 109.5MM:

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket

If there is a concern about clearance for the crank, the 109.5MM Dura Ace BB will push the crank further from the frame than the 103MM would. Seems like there's a good chance it would work, but would depend on Wabi's frame tolerances.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 07:45 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
BB spindle length is generally determined by the cranks in use, not the frame.
Old 02-07-18, 08:01 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by seau grateau
BB spindle length is generally determined by the cranks in use, not the frame.
I wasn't asking what BB length to use, but pointed out that the Dura Ace crank will sit further from the frame than Wabi's crank because of the difference in BB width. Tim was asking about frame clearance with the crank.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 08:12 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I wasn't asking what BB length to use, but pointed out that the Dura Ace crank will sit further from the frame than Wabi's crank because of the difference in BB width. Tim was asking about frame clearance with the crank.

Dave
You are confusing the frame bottom bracket with the crank bottom bracket. I’m sure Tim inderstands that Dura Ace crankarms require a different spindle and bearing assembly than say the Andel crankset that comes standard on the Wabi complete.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-07-18, 08:22 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You are confusing the frame bottom bracket with the crank bottom bracket. I’m sure Tim inderstands that Dura Ace crankarms require a different spindle and bearing assembly than say the Andel crankset that comes standard on the Wabi complete.
I was talking about the bb spindle width, not the bb shell on the frame.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 08:26 PM
seau grateau

...Right. The Wabi is spec'd with a 103mm bottom bracket because they put Andel cranks on them, not Dura Ace.
Old 02-07-18, 08:32 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by seau grateau
...Right. The Wabi is spec'd with a 103mm bottom bracket because they put Andel cranks on them, not Dura Ace.
Which sits closer to the frame than the Dura Ace one would. That's the point I was making.

Dave
Old 02-07-18, 09:04 PM
seau grateau

I see what you mean. Nevermind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.