Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Old 02-07-18, 10:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everyone be nice.

There are a few Lightning SE's floating around the interwebz with Record Pista. Campy has lower Q factor than Shimano so I think it will be iite. Still, it would be nice to see just one photo of an SE with DA cranks.

I'm not loosing sleep so please don't argue. It is just an idea. Last time I had an idea to build a Cervelo R5 road bike and wound up with a Niner gravel bike. Life is more fun that way.

-Tim-
Old 02-07-18, 11:42 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Did you say Q factor ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=q+st...pAid9A-GVgEgM:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-07-18, 11:50 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Everyone be nice.

There are a few Lightning SE's floating around the interwebz with Record Pista. Campy has lower Q factor than Shimano so I think it will be iite. Still, it would be nice to see just one photo of an SE with DA cranks.

I'm not loosing sleep so please don't argue. It is just an idea. Last time I had an idea to build a Cervelo R5 road bike and wound up with a Niner gravel bike. Life is more fun that way.

-Tim-
Wasn't trying to argue, I just misunderstood. In any case, I'd be surprised if DA cranks didn't work on that frame.
Old 02-08-18, 07:33 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Much ado about nothing.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-08-18, 11:45 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Which sits closer to the frame than the Dura Ace one would. That's the point I was making.

Dave
I would hope that is not true. I would hope that any crank, mated with it's proper BB, would place the chain ring where it is supposed to be, 42mms from center.
Old 02-08-18, 11:56 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Everyone be nice.

-Tim-
Just provide Wabi with your actual Q number and crank arm length. They can (should be able to) easily measure a frame and give you a solid yes or no.
Old 02-08-18, 01:11 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Just provide Wabi with your actual Q number and crank arm length. They can (should be able to) easily measure a frame and give you a solid yes or no.
Or, he could just ask the real Q.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-08-18, 01:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Q really doesn't take into account the thickness of the crank arm itself but yeah, I get what you are saying and this is what I was planning on doing.

SRAM actually makes this easy. They publish dimensional drawings of every part they make for frame and component manufacturer's reference. The link below is one of several documents they produce yearly and is typical. They have one which shows the Omniums.

https://www.sram.com.cn/sites/default...ifications.pdf

-Tim-
Old 02-08-18, 01:20 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Or, he could just ask the real Q.
To which Q, do you refer, sir?

Old 02-08-18, 01:25 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

To which Q, do you refer, sir?
https://www.google.com/search?q=q+st...pAid9A-GVgEgM:

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-08-18, 06:40 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
"What is it you want, Q?" - Picard
Old 02-08-18, 08:18 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking of a Wabi Lightning SE and swapping parts between that and my Bianchi Pista.

The Pista has Nitto bar and stem, Dura Ace brakes, Thomson Elite post, Fizik Saddle, SRAM S500 levers and Dura Ace crankset/bottom bracket. That would all go on the Wabi and the parts from the Wabi would go onto the Pista with the idea of selling it. Both have Wabi Sub 15 wheels so I would keep the new set on the Wabi.

The Pista is fun but it doesn't have braze on for bottle cages and the Wabi would be around 17 lb where the Pista is almost 19 lb.

One concern is the note on the Wabi page which says that they will not guarantee that any part will fit other than what they supply with the bike and that they should be called to see if they know of any issues. Both the Wabi and Bianchi have 68 mm BSA bottom bracket shell but chainstay clearance for the DA crankset on the Wabi is a concern and I'll probably give them a call if I do decide to order.

Thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

-Tim-
Totally support the Wabi route, I had zero regrets porting the parts off my Soma Rush onto a Wabi Special two years ago.

If it helps, I had the same concern about a month ago when swapping cranksets. I had read the same thing on their website about crankset clearance (and maybe on BF from Scrod?) I can't confirm that the chainstays on the Lightning are the same as the Special, but, I had no issues with clearance, and still have lots of room to spare.

I'm running vintage Shimano 600 EX cranks now, 50T ring with 170mm arms. The bottom bracket is 107mm. You'll notice that the crank arm and spider profiles of the old 600's is very similar to current DA, also to Sugino 75's:

Old 02-09-18, 03:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Thank you Mr. Bigs!

The 600 EX are pretty.

I think the DA arms are a little straighter. It looks like they don't have that curve near the chainring... maybe.

-Tim-
Old 02-10-18, 05:12 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ya, the 600EX arms stick out just a wee bit more. Mind you, you could run a 110mm BB instead? Also comparing our photos, it appears that the Wabi chainstays taper inwards more.

The Wabi drive side chainstay is also dimpled for better chainring clearance, so at least you know that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-10-18, 10:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Scottybigs
Ya, the 600EX arms stick out just a wee bit more. Mind you, you could run a 110mm BB instead? Also comparing our photos, it appears that the Wabi chainstays taper inwards more.

The Wabi drive side chainstay is also dimpled for better chainring clearance, so at least you know that wouldn't be an issue.
The bottom bracket for those cranks is 109.5 mm.

--

Now I'm torn between the sizes - 55 vs 52. I've always felt like my bikes were too long and never had a stem longer than 90 mm on any bike.

The Bianchi Pista size 55 geo is almost identical to the Wabi Lightning SE size 55 with the exception of angles. The Pista has steeper angles. The Wabi is a bit more relaxed.

I'm running a 90 mm stem on the Pista and a straight seatpost and am starting to think that a size 52 Wabi would allow me to run a longer stem and setback post. The size 52 Wabi top tube is only 1 cm shorter than the size 55 Pista but the seat tube is 2.5 cm shorter after accounting for bottom bracket drop.

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

-Tim-
Old 02-11-18, 12:30 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Might as well try the smaller size since it doesn't seem much different. Worst case scenario you are running a setback post a little higher and a slightly longer stem and you get that race fit look.
Old 02-11-18, 03:29 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Might as well try the smaller size since it doesn't seem much different. Worst case scenario you are running a setback post a little higher and a slightly longer stem and you get that race fit look.
I'm thinking that if the bikes had the same angles, there would be no need for a set back post with a smaller frame, since the seat post acts like an extension of the seat tube. Everything is the same, just a lower top tube.

And since the Wabi is slacker, I'm thinking Tim's butt would already be farther behind the crank than on the Pista, so for sure no set back post. Unless he's trying to get farther back. No? Yes? Maybe?
Old 02-11-18, 02:20 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I'm thinking of a Wabi Lightning SE and swapping parts between that and my Bianchi Pista.

The Pista has Nitto bar and stem, Dura Ace brakes, Thomson Elite post, Fizik Saddle, SRAM S500 levers and Dura Ace crankset/bottom bracket. That would all go on the Wabi and the parts from the Wabi would go onto the Pista with the idea of selling it. Both have Wabi Sub 15 wheels so I would keep the new set on the Wabi.

The Pista is fun but it doesn't have braze on for bottle cages and the Wabi would be around 17 lb where the Pista is almost 19 lb.

One concern is the note on the Wabi page which says that they will not guarantee that any part will fit other than what they supply with the bike and that they should be called to see if they know of any issues. Both the Wabi and Bianchi have 68 mm BSA bottom bracket shell but chainstay clearance for the DA crankset on the Wabi is a concern and I'll probably give them a call if I do decide to order.

Thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

-Tim-

Don't know how I missed this?

Anyway - I, for one, would really hate to see the dismantling of the winner of the "World's Most Most Expensive Pista" contest
Old 02-15-18, 04:36 PM
bonsai171

Chainring

Does this look like a decent chainring to test some new gearing?

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/chainrings-c69/brev-m-chain-ring-130bcd-p1886

Dave
Old 02-15-18, 11:57 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Does this look like a decent chainring to test some new gearing?

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...g-130bcd-p1886

Dave
Assuming your crank is 130 BCD, yes.

Brev M is the OEM brand for MASI. Think Trek and Bontrager, Fuji/ Kestrel and Oval concepts sort of deal.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-16-18, 11:47 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Assuming your crank is 130 BCD, yes.

Brev M is the OEM brand for MASI. Think Trek and Bontrager, Fuji/ Kestrel and Oval concepts sort of deal.
Thanks. I just came across the Brev M yesterday, but couldn't find any reviews on them. I have a 130 bcd crank (5 bolt) and didn't want to spring $55 for an All City chainring (which looks pretty amazing!) to test a gear ratio. Not many choices for 130 bcd, so I will eventually switch to 144, though the chainrings are more expensive.

Dave
Old 02-16-18, 11:56 AM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whats the easiest way to adjust SPD cleat placement on a new shoe/cleat/pedal setup? Trial and error is my current method.
Old 02-20-18, 04:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Wabi doesn't have Lightning SE in stock in my size and so I'd be interested in suggestions for a nice fixed gear road frame - steel with carbon fork - similar to the Wabi Lightning SE.

Weight is a primary concern and a custom is not out of the question.

It should have road geometry to the extent that it is possible and braze ons for two bottle cages. I'm not looking for a track bike but a fixed gear road bike.

-Tim-
Old 02-20-18, 05:24 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Wabi doesn't have Lightning SE in stock in my size and so I'd be interested in suggestions for a nice fixed gear road frame - steel with carbon fork - similar to the Wabi Lightning SE.

Weight is a primary concern and a custom is not out of the question.

It should have road geometry to the extent that it is possible and braze ons for two bottle cages. I'm not looking for a track bike but a fixed gear road bike.

-Tim-

You like spending money. So... just get a bike that is perfect in every single detail. Literally every tube, size, shape, angle and length designed by you. Braze ons for anything and everything you want, anywhere on the bike.

I did a bunch or research on frame builders and decided that I'd go to Tomii if I were going to get a custom.

https://www.tomiicycles.com/
Old 02-20-18, 06:49 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I wish I knew of another option that fits those criteria, but it seems to be a unicorn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.