Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Ideas for managing dockless scooters car-free

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Ideas for managing dockless scooters car-free

Old 04-06-19, 10:50 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Sounds like an oxymoron.
Well, think about it. If you do some analysis and figure out that you'll make less money on your automotive stocks if ride-sharing companies and other alternatives to car ownership grow, then it makes sense to (short) sell those companies to attempt to drive them out of business, i.e. by driving investors away from them out of fear they'll lose their money if they invest.

So there are people who want to invest in alternative transportation and help it grow, even if they won't make money at the same levels as by investing in the individual-car-ownership model of transportation; but they should be protected against others who want to intimidate them away from investing by crashing their stocks.

I hope you see my point here. The problem is that investors can weaponize selling to gain anti-competitive leverage against companies that threaten the market dominance of other companies and the paradigms they serve and maintain, such as the paradigm of individual car ownership.
Old 04-06-19, 01:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I hope you see my point here.
The point is clear that you don't have a clue as to how the short selling stock (or investment) process works in the marketplace, but rather you fabricate an entirely imaginary marketplace scenario to fit your construct of a world-wide conspiracy against your dreamy ideas about so-called alternative transportation and associated so-called "LCF" lifestyles.
Old 04-06-19, 05:53 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The point is clear that you don't have a clue as to how the short selling stock (or investment) process works in the marketplace, but rather you fabricate an entirely imaginary marketplace scenario to fit your construct of a world-wide conspiracy against your dreamy ideas about so-called alternative transportation and associated so-called "LCF" lifestyles.
Makes one wonder why they have classes on economics doesn’t it? Maybe if the business plan was developed working with the community rather than against it? But people are getting smarter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.geekwire.com/2018/scooter-startups-hit-roadblocks-cities-get-smarter-new-forms-transportation/amp/

Old 04-06-19, 06:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Makes one wonder why they have classes on economics doesn’t it?
Some "critical thinkers" seem to "think" they don't need no stinkin' classes because they prefer to fabricate their own facts that will fit their agenda.
Old 04-06-19, 10:20 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Some "critical thinkers" seem to "think" they don't need no stinkin' classes because they prefer to fabricate their own facts that will fit their agenda.

Still how does one debate a person with a manufactured conspiracy? We went through some of these same conspiracies when Segways didn't catch on. Some ideas are well thought out and some are not and I seriously doubt that the heads of Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW and Volkswagen "ever" get together and brainstorm about what needs to be done to beat back electric rental scooters. Business acquisitions typically only take place "after" a business shows potential. Not while it is embroiled in a battle with government entities and insurance regulations. But that has nothing to do with a conspiracy.
Old 04-07-19, 12:49 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
But it has a lot to do with politics. So which is it, everyone? P and R or close this thread?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-07-19, 01:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Who knew geocaching would come to this?
Old 04-07-19, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
But it has a lot to do with politics. So which is it, everyone? P and R or close this thread?
Bring it to an end!
Old 04-07-19, 09:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Close this thread and every other thread, present or future, that begins or evolves into variations of the same fabricated economic and political conspiracy theory that has nothing to do with Living Car Free except in one poster's imagination.
Old 04-07-19, 05:47 PM
tandempower

It got off track and I went along with the deviation. If you move it to P&R I won't be able to do anything with it further so if you insist on either closing it or moving it to P&R, I would say just close it.
Old 04-07-19, 05:48 PM
tandempower

Close this thread and every other thread, present or future, that begins or evolves into variations of the same fabricated economic and political conspiracy theory that has nothing to do with Living Car Free except in one poster's imagination.
Are you asking them to ban me from the forum? Why don't you ban yourself?
Old 04-07-19, 05:50 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Still how does one debate a person with a manufactured conspiracy? We went through some of these same conspiracies when Segways didn't catch on. Some ideas are well thought out and some are not and I seriously doubt that the heads of Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW and Volkswagen "ever" get together and brainstorm about what needs to be done to beat back electric rental scooters. Business acquisitions typically only take place "after" a business shows potential. Not while it is embroiled in a battle with government entities and insurance regulations. But that has nothing to do with a conspiracy.
For some people, the only potential they care about in anything car-free is the potential to prevent it from growing. You of all people should understand that.
Old 04-07-19, 06:31 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Well, think about it. If you do some analysis and figure out that you'll make less money on your automotive stocks if ride-sharing companies and other alternatives to car ownership grow, then it makes sense to (short) sell those companies to attempt to drive them out of business, i.e. by driving investors away from them out of fear they'll lose their money if they invest.
I think you're misunderstanding the effects of shorting a stock. Individuals or even large institutions don't have the ability to significantly move stock prices. Investors short stocks they believe are overvalued. They're not shorting to move the stock, rather they're hoping to capitalize on the eventual correction in an over-valued stock. While individual short sellers theoretically have the ability to impact stock prices they also take considerable risks if the company continues to perform well.
Old 04-07-19, 07:28 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
My old town manages to get along without them around, at all ..
We have a lot of small buses and I have a bunch of bikes.
Old 04-08-19, 09:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Bring it to an end!
It got off track and I went along with the deviation. If you move it to P&R I won't be able to do anything with it further so if you insist on either closing it or moving it to P&R, I would say just close it.
Originally Posted by gregf83
I think you're misunderstanding the effects of shorting a stock. Individuals or even large institutions don't have the ability to significantly move stock prices. Investors short stocks they believe are overvalued. They're not shorting to move the stock, rather they're hoping to capitalize on the eventual correction in an over-valued stock. While individual short sellers theoretically have the ability to impact stock prices they also take considerable risks if the company continues to perform well.
Thread closed.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.