Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Passing a paceline on a recumbent?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 10:32 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

anyone ever pass a pace line on a recumbent....they dont like it and think that ur cheating because ur sooo much more aero than ur average upright df rider....
Old 05-31-19, 09:18 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just like to ride my bike and try not to pay attention to what others think. I passed a paceline on a downhill last weekend, but they caught me on the next roller. Thought nothing of it. I have no clue if they are recreational, training, or on a cool down. I am not racing them. I just smile and wave.
Likes For Skankingbiker:
Old 05-31-19, 09:53 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
anyone ever pass a pace line on a recumbent....they dont like it and think that ur cheating because ur sooo much more aero than ur average upright df rider....
I don't know. Pacelines can be pretty fast. And focused. I can't imagine a DF rider concentrating on staying out of the rear derailleur of the bike he is drafting having much time or inclination to throw verbal or emotional caca at anything else on the road. Let's not get too full of ourselves. Recumbents are groovy, fer sure, but a DF rider in full tuck is pretty damn aero. Put a bunch of them on a paceline and you need a very strong rider on a Velokraft lowracer to even stay near them, let alone pass them. So, my guess is, they weren't hammering. They were just out for a roll. And you roll upon them and pass leaving them choking on testosterone fumes. Yeah, I'd be pissed too.
Old 05-31-19, 01:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've passed and/or dropped pacelines so many times I don't pay attention anymore. Occasionally one rider will bust out of the group and chase me solo. That never lasts because once he loses his group's draft he's toast.

Leisesturm is correct, a lowracer is the correct tool for the job.

Edit: I've been accused of 'cheating' before and I have two thoughts on that:
1. Unless the bike type for the ride is specified, it's 'ride what you brought;' and it's not my fault if they made a poor choice for which one to bring.
2. Riding in a paceline can confer even more advantage than being on a lowracer, so either the pot is calling the kettle black, or they suck.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 05-31-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-31-19, 06:13 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know. Pacelines can be pretty fast. And focused. I can't imagine a DF rider concentrating on staying out of the rear derailleur of the bike he is drafting having much time or inclination to throw verbal or emotional caca at anything else on the road. Let's not get too full of ourselves. Recumbents are groovy, fer sure, but a DF rider in full tuck is pretty damn aero. Put a bunch of them on a paceline and you need a very strong rider on a Velokraft lowracer to even stay near them, let alone pass them. So, my guess is, they weren't hammering. They were just out for a roll. And you roll upon them and pass leaving them choking on testosterone fumes. Yeah, I'd be pissed too.
yeah i dont know their situation...it was into a head wind the upright df riders most hated thing...up on the hoods into a headwind man thats serious air drag
Old 05-31-19, 06:16 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've passed and/or dropped pacelines so many times I don't pay attention anymore. Occasionally one rider will bust out of the group and chase me solo. That never lasts because once he loses his group's draft he's toast.

Leisesturm is correct, a lowracer is the correct tool for the job.

Edit: I've been accused of 'cheating' before and I have two thoughts on that:
1. Unless the bike type for the ride is specified, it's 'ride what you brought;' and it's not my fault if they made a poor choice for which one to bring.
2. Riding in a paceline can confer even more advantage than being on a lowracer, so either the pot is calling the kettle black, or they suck.
drafting is cheating....they use drafting to do speeds and distances they cant do by themselves...i believe one mans results are from one mans efforts
Old 05-31-19, 06:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've got a handful of my best segment times by tucking in behind big rigs, cement mixers, etc. I don't consider it cheating because it's dangerous to the point where I can only post it here because I know my wife will never read it. It is a behavior that she would absolutely disapprove of. A paceline is a safe as the sofa by comparison.

Over a long enough timeframe, every Strava KOM will be from a wind-assisted group. That's just how it is. --racer roadie guy from my LBS
Old 05-31-19, 07:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Over a long enough timeframe, every Strava KOM will be from a wind-assisted group. That's just how it is. --racer roadie guy from my LBS
Once upon a time, Strava had the words, "best personal effort" in their rules for segments. It was universally ignored, so it's no longer there. Shame. On a lighter note, someone here in my regular riding area created a new 2-mile-long segment, thinking it would demonstrate the group's prowess. Nope, I own it.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 06-09-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-31-19, 08:07 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

And same with your own PRs. I ride a lot of the same routes and I've done many segments 200+ times. If I get a PR or even a top 3 the wind was blowing at least 35+ mph or I am being chased by some very large animal and on the flip side I'll have just as many PW.

Last edited by u235; 05-31-19 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-31-19, 08:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Oh, no doubt-- I have some PRs that are simply unapproachable unless the conditions outside of my control are absolutely 100% in my favor. I finished last years Rapha Festive with a 70-miler from my house to the Pacific Ocean-- with a nearly constant 15mph tailwind. There are some 5-8 mile long segments on that route, and I was shaving 3-5 minutes off of my previous PRs. I will very likely not touch those times again.