Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1890/1930 bikes.. worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 08:12 AM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1890/1930 bikes.. worth it ?

Hey. I am quite passionate about the first decades of road cycling and I can find quite a lot of frames on the internet that are very old.

I am not very interested in riding them like people used to do at that time, I would like to have a compact with like 8 speeds maybe. I don't even know if that's possible.

My question is : with a very old (around 100 years old) bike, what components are close to impossible to upgrade/change, and what could be compatible with quite recent stuff ?

Maybe the BB makes impossible to change the rings, maybe there isn't even a bolt to put a sora rear derailleur, etc.. thanks

edit : i know quite a lot of stuff on recent bikes but i don't know anything about vintage bikes and specially those very very old bikes, so even if something is obvious i may not know it
Old 07-19-19, 08:34 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
An astoundingly uninformed and hopeless aspiration.
As Sponge Bob Square Pants once said:

"Well, good luck with That!"
Old 07-19-19, 08:48 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
For a bike that you can ride with 8 speeds you would need to go newer to bikes from the 40's or 50's. On 30's bikes your looking at 3 speed's for a rider you get older than that your pretty much into single speed and fixed gear flip flops for 1 or 2 speeds.
Old 07-19-19, 09:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts

Before their leap of faith at Kitty Hawk, Wilbur and Orville Wright made bicycles. More than a century later, their brand unveils two stunning commuter builds.

...and it comes with a Chris King headset.
Old 07-19-19, 09:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtydozen
My question is : with a very old (around 100 years old) bike, what components are close to impossible to upgrade/change, and what could be compatible with quite recent stuff ?
So, please allow me to answer your question with a few questions of my own. Your answers will help to inform you about the practicality of this concept of "ancient frame modified with modern components".

Do you have any metal fabrication skills and access to tools for forming, welding, brazing, grinding and the like? Are you mechanically adept, and an above-average problem solver?

Have you set a conceptual budget for this build (i.e., what are you willing to spend)? Are all parts except the frame in hand now? Will you pay others to modify the frame and what do you expect the costs to be? What tools will you need to buy or rent to accomplish this? Are they factored into your budget?

Have you studied the design of, say, 1920s path racers to determine the sizes and types of all of the mechanical fittings, to include hub spacing, wheel diameters, have bottom bracket dimensions? All fittings. Written down.

Have you (alternatively) studied the design of 1920s path racers to determine which qualities (geometry, materials, finish) you would like in a modern frame made to be compatible with modern components? Would a custom frame fit within your budget?

In summary, what you are proposing will take an array of pretty specialized skills that you may or may not be able to acquire. The time and effort might be better spent looking for a more modern analogue of an older-style bike. Without a realistic look at the costs, you don't have a viable project.
Old 07-19-19, 10:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
8 speed might be possible... if you're thinking a double crank with a 4-speed freewheel.

@Bandera's reply might sound a bit harsh, but I really don't see this project working out. Even if you managed to mount modern components on a 100-year old frame, you are likely to be disappointed by the vintage handling. I could well be wrong.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498