Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does the C&V community have a preferred clipless system?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-20-19, 06:27 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts

I ride mostly with toe clips and loose straps, which I have no big problems with other than my wide-ish feet not playing well with some pedals.

When I built my Ironman, I opted for Wellgo MG-5 platforms - an inexpensive experiment that has not been bad.

But, I do miss some foot retention. I am favoring two systems out of all the options I've seen, but am curious what some of you guys and gals have experienced. I am a complete rookie when it comes to clipless pedals - no experience.

Have you a preference? If so, why?

Of course, photographic evidence is very, very welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-20-19, 06:38 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Speedplay: +1

Badly in need of toe clips and straps on my recent C&V 73 Raleigh Competition.

Some shifting shenanigans and botched stoplight get-aways make the pedals roll over on me, and they've only got one good side.

On my road bike, I've used Speedplay for 3+ years now: double sided pedal makes entry easy, good retention (and exit), grease axle once a year( no other maintenance by me), good cleats, durable overall.

Pretty good "float", if you need that. A bit strange at first, dont notice it at all now.
Old 07-20-19, 06:39 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 1,393 Posts
I use Speedplay. Mostly because they need no orientation. And while it doesn't matter much, Richard Byrne does have a wonderful Flick account of vintage components.

Umberto Dei 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 07-20-19, 06:43 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Anything with Look Delta cleats. I like the old Looks as well as Shimano versions.

Spd for the bikes where walking around is part of the program.
Old 07-20-19, 06:45 PM
BFisher

Alright, alright!

Two nods for Speedplay, one system I'm leaning toward.

Sweet photo!
Old 07-20-19, 06:46 PM
BFisher

Originally Posted by due ruote
Anything with Look Delta cleats. I like the old Looks as well as Shimano versions.

Why, specifically, the Delta cleats?
Old 07-20-19, 10:11 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I don't mind toe clips and straps, but prefer walkable mountain bike cleats / pedals for longer rides. Lots of folks love Shimano SPD, but I've been pretty happy with MKS's version of the Time ATAC system their MKS US-B pedals. Currently, the pedals with cleats are available at clearance prices of $9.99 from Bikewagon.com. The key, and it's a big one is that you need to disassemble the pedals and swap the axles, left for right. Takes a 5mm Allen, and a 9mm socket.

Apparently, probably for patent reasons, the default MKS pedals are reversed from the ATAC system (they use a fixed front bar, with a spring loaded rear, opposite the real ATAC pedals.). Unfortunately, their ATAC clone cleats don't take that into account, making them almost impossible to clip into as delivered.

Once swapped, they're just like the ATAC pedals - easy to clip into, very secure, with a bit of float. None of the duck walking most road cleats force you to endure when you're off the bike.
Old 07-20-19, 10:16 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I forgot to add, I've got a set of Speedplay pedals and cleats / shoes too. They're wonderful for actual riding, being comfortable and easy to clip into. I just can't get over how horrible they are to walk in. Clomping around the house, and out to the garage is almost enough to drive me bonkers. Any sort of mid ride stop, or heaven forbid walking up a hill is torture.

Maybe I could live with all that if walkable shoes and cleats rode any worse, or had any downsides, but I just don't see it.
Old 07-20-19, 10:42 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
98% of the time I ride platform pedals, but when I do ride clipless .... I do so with SPD
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 07-20-19, 10:48 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Why, specifically, the Delta cleats?
They are the old style cleats. You can generally find good pedals for $20 or less and they seem to last forever. Cleats are still available for about $10. I use the red cleats; black ones are zero float.
Old 07-20-19, 10:58 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Another nod for classic SPDs because there are endless options. I prefer VP pedals; two sided, cheaper, nice springs. SPDs because I can use them on spin bikes and use light weight SPD mountain shoes because I can walk normally when off the bikes. Lots of SPD shoe options at different price points and my more substantial legit MTB shoes are also SPD.
Old 07-20-19, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I need the benefits of the real C&V pedal systems though I often get there by other means. No-float. My knees not only want no float, they want my feet forcibly toed-in. The system developed probably around 1895 for racing works very well for me, rattrap style pedals and slotted cleats. I do use the modern Exustar cleat set up top mount on LOOK compatible 3-bolt shoes and use Shimano 600 semi-platform pedals and make big pick-up tabs but the concept and riding is super old-school.

I also use LOOK Delta compatibles (FORTE) and the LOOK or Wellgo black (no-float) cleats. Riding I see no difference between the two. The LOOK style offers un-cleating without having to remember to loosen the laces. Toeclips, straps and traditional cleats are FAR MORE secure pedaling fast downhill on a fix gear, something I do a lot.

I also use MTB SPDs for my gravel/geared winter/rain/city bike. For that I have to crank in absolute max rotation of the right cleat and a lot on the left to keep my knees happy. Also set the release to tight. They work but not ideal.

Needing no-float puts me in a minority. Also rules out a lot of pedal types. The good news is that it has freed up a lot of those Shimano 600s!

Ben
Old 07-20-19, 11:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
I forgot to add, I've got a set of Speedplay pedals and cleats / shoes too. They're wonderful for actual riding, being comfortable and easy to clip into. I just can't get over how horrible they are to walk in. Clomping around the house, and out to the garage is almost enough to drive me bonkers. Any sort of mid ride stop, or heaven forbid walking up a hill is torture.

Maybe I could live with all that if walkable shoes and cleats rode any worse, or had any downsides, but I just don't see it.
Does Kool Covers make a Speedplay cleat cover? I always carry and use the LOOK covers when I am riding my LOOK cleated bikes. (I go to REI and pick up their cheap keyring caribiners and carry the covers from my tool bag loop.)
Old 07-20-19, 11:16 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
SPD.

So many shoe and pedal options and totally functional.
Old 07-21-19, 12:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Look Deltas.
Why??? Nice wide platform. The earliest to 'grab' the market. The only true C&V roadie cleat; are the others even vintage yet? I don't follow component timelines.

edit: had Look release-able ski bindings before cycling shoe bindings. It just works. The compatibles work well, too - generally.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-21-19 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Look Delta and Shimano SPD-SL. The designs are pretty similar. Better than the toe clips and cleated Detto Pietros I used decades ago.

Look has more float, easier to clip in and out -- more positive snappy feel. Tricky to walk in. Feels like backward high heels.

Shimano is easier to walk in. Clipping in and out feels a bit mushy compared with the Look. Less float but still adequate. Better for halfway pedaling without clipping in -- the SPD-SL has little rubbery feet that grab the pedal.

I like the larger cleats and rigid sole shoes for better foot support. I get arch cramps and hotspots on the metatarsals unless everything is jussst-so.

Both cleats/pedals retain well. Occasionally I pull up on the pedal when standing to climb. Never pulled out of a pedal yet (and hope I never do -- that would be painful). Both are equally tricky to clip into. Usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to clip in. Some folks manage it the first time but I rarely do.

Most folks I ride with prefer Shimano SPD mountain biking type cleats/shoes. Easier to walk with, adequate foot retention. Some of them switch to SPD-SL or Look for races -- local crits, time trials.

I know a few folks who use other cleat/pedal systems, but they mostly seem to be into mountain biking.
Old 07-21-19, 02:31 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Look Delta for me, fitted to every one of my C&V bikes.

They look right on a C&V bike, they work very well, the pedals are cheap and easy to get hold of via eBay, and the aftermarket cleats are widely available, work as well as genuine Look cleats, and are very cheap.

And here's the photo - 1980s Gitane with 1980s Look pedals.

Old 07-21-19, 04:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
For me it is dual sided spd, one side clip-in, the other platform. I do have a pair of shoes in which the cleats are not recessed. They have the 2 holes for spd and 3 holes for spd-sl. I use them with spd if I know I am in no need of walking during the ride.
Old 07-21-19, 04:15 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Another vote for Look pedals.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-21-19, 05:25 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I've been using LOOK pedals since they came out in the early 80s. Currently I use the LOOK Keo 2 Max pedals. I have a couple bikes with toe clips and straps but they're more "lookers" than riders. Any bike I'm serious about riding will have LOOK pedals and a modern saddle.

Last edited by nomadmax; 07-21-19 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 05:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I prefer spd pedals with the cage around them like this (note, I don't actually spring for xtr):

because the shoes are walkable, I have a fairly wide platform and, if I am just going to go a couple of miles with the family, these are comfortable enough with just running shoes, so I don't have to swap shoes for a little jaunt around the neighborhood. I used to have the one sided spd pedals because I thought they looked more appropriate on the bike (and eliminated any possibility of pedal strike when I really aggressively cornered), but I always had problems with the wrong side being up when I wanted to clip in in a hurry (traffic, etc.). This style can cause pedals strike if you're pedaling through a corner and are tilted pretty far over (and run 175 mm cranks like I do - might not be a problem with shorter cranks and to be fair, I only had it happen a couple times), but I just either don't take the corner quite as aggressively (I am getting older so this is smart), or just coast with the inside pedal up if I'm leaning the bike that far.
Old 07-21-19, 05:29 AM
BFisher

@ExPatTyke, cool bike.

I appreciate the responses. As said, Speedplay is on my list for the reasons others have said they like them. I really like the idea of dual-sided functionality. There's a good amount of adjustability. Nice and light, too.

Walkability isn't really a huge issue in this case. With my other bikes I just wear old soccer-style sneakers that work well with the clips and straps.

My second choice is the Look system. I like the idea of a wide platform (wide feet). I really like the way they look, and the color options.

Last night I found a pair of Speedplays for sale cheap, so I might very well end up with those.
Old 07-21-19, 05:40 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
To those who use clips and straps on some bikes and some form of snap-in/clipless on other bikes -- do you ever have a problem getting your foot stuck because you make the wrong motion for the system you are using at the time? This would be my biggest concern. I have been riding clips and straps for 50 years and will probably simply continue to do so, because they serve my needs so well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-21-19, 05:43 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote

Ditto on the Deltas.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-21-19, 05:59 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Look Delta, still have 4 pairs in service.

-Bandera

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.