Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Summer struggles

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 01:39 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Summer struggles

Hey everyone.
I've been really exhausted for months, and off-and-on again pain in my hips. I'm starting to think it's emotional. I've been unusually depressed, and having hard time going cycling, even hooking up with a group.

I got a new bike in April, 700c Cannondale hybrid thing. But I think the wheels are too narrow. I don't feel confident on it like this older, cheaper MTB I have.

I'm seeing a personal trainer once a week. Also seeing a counselor twice a week, and we're talking things through. Sometimes life is just full of grief, and it needs to be talked through.

I know this won't last forever, but I miss being able to do things I used to find fun and rewarding.

I did take a week's vacation from work, and got a new (to me) car. My old car was black on the outside, black on the inside, and the change of color is very cheering. It's also a manual, pretty zippy, fun to drive. And it has a hitch installed, hopefully for transporting bikes in the not too distant future. Pictures attached, as a thank you for letting me talk about my problems.

Jessica

Last edited by LAJ; 07-23-19 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For Bikeforumuser0019:
Old 07-22-19, 02:44 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
That car is cute as a button!

I've personally noted that I'm not very motivated to ride in the heat. I go early in the morning when it's cooler, and sometimes (though not for a couple of weeks now) at night. If you feel okay with riding at night, it can be quite fun. I'm using a $35 USB rechargeable headlight I purchased on Amazon about a year ago. I also run a Bontrager USB rechargeable rear blinky light. Riding at night is enough different of an experience that I find it inspires me to ride more (usually).

For me, I always get more depressed in the summer since I really, really do not like the heat. Once we make it to mid August I start to realize cooler weather is just another month and a half a way, and I start feeling better.

I hope things get better for you soon.

-Matt
Old 07-22-19, 04:07 PM
Sillyak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice car!!

Nice to see someone still driving a stick.

Could your stability issue be due to how the bars are set up?
Old 07-22-19, 06:24 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
A manual! Also known as a millennial anti-theft device. These days, I suppose that applies to almost everybody. Enjoy, and don' give up on your hybrid despite the narrow wheels.
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 07-23-19, 04:50 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Originally Posted by Sillyak

Could your stability issue be due to how the bars are set up?

lol, I know what you meant, tho. I'll look into it.
Old 07-23-19, 05:53 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
That car is cute as a button!

I've personally noted that I'm not very motivated to ride in the heat. I go early in the morning when it's cooler, and sometimes (though not for a couple of weeks now) at night. If you feel okay with riding at night, it can be quite fun. I'm using a $35 USB rechargeable headlight I purchased on Amazon about a year ago. I also run a Bontrager USB rechargeable rear blinky light. Riding at night is enough different of an experience that I find it inspires me to ride more (usually).

For me, I always get more depressed in the summer since I really, really do not like the heat. Once we make it to mid August I start to realize cooler weather is just another month and a half a way, and I start feeling better.

I hope things get better for you soon.

-Matt
I found myself getting down the last couple of weeks with the heat. Is it bad that I'm already looking forward to late summer and fall? It's going to be cooler this week so I brought my bike to work today and plan on riding it home.
Old 08-01-19, 04:11 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

I sold my hybrid, and have gone for a couple little rides on the other bike but nothing more than a few miles. I think I'm going to get a pedometer and just walk for a while. Focusing on taking steps seems more attainable at the moment.

Thanks,
Jessica
Likes For Bikeforumuser0019:
Old 08-05-19, 11:28 AM
ADSPRU
A. A. Ron

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
now you just need a sticker on the back that says its equipped with a millennial theft deterrent system...AKA manual transmission
Old 08-05-19, 01:39 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Millennial driving a stick?! Get down with your bad self! And what's not to love about a Kawasaki green hatchback? There will always be challenges in life, but you seem to have a pretty good grip on things. Work it out. Shake it off. Let the excitement and adventure begin!

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 08-06-19, 12:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Car is very nice....and will look even better with a bike rack and bike on it That would be nice color to paint a bike

I would bet that the tires are not too narrow, just you need to get used to the feel. and once you do and the increased efficiency and speed it will hook you back biking

I find that it is a journey of a thousand steps thing.....that darn first step/first ride is tough and I put a lot of imaginary barriers in front of me, but once a take the first ride/step/weight work out the next one is easier

have fun

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-06-19, 12:57 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
I just started road biking this summer, and it's a strange thing, cause a summer guy I am not. I really struggle with heat and humidity, and have always felt at ease in the frigid cold. Hang in there and keep getting outside any way you can! Cool new car!
Old 08-06-19, 03:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
I sold my hybrid, and have gone for a couple little rides on the other bike but nothing more than a few miles. I think I'm going to get a pedometer and just walk for a while. Focusing on taking steps seems more attainable at the moment.

Thanks,
Jessica
don't know if you are a tech geek or not.... but i would recommend getting a garmin HR watch....depending on the model. it can measure step, have wristbased HR, have gps ride (or walk or ....) tracking, can connect with my fitness pal if you care to track calories

here are a couple to look at....and then look at the rest depending on style, features and budget

this one is really simple, but no GPS for the bike https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739

this one has GPS so bike tracking https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/574602