Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with wheels, constant flats after changing tire size!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-15-17, 03:06 PM
holtzmanator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey gang,
So I've been riding on some Weismann DP18's with Victoria Rubino pro's for 4 years and never got a single flat. I moved, and the roads around my new place are absolute garbage, so I decided to step up my tires to a panaracer t-Service 700x32c from the 700x23c rubinos I had. Ever since then, I get flats CONSTANTLY. Like an average of once every 50 miles of riding. I changed the rim tape, bought new tires, and inspected the wheel and found nothing that could be causing the flats, but I did find that hey happen in the exact same place every time, about 3 inches from the valve stem. I finally bit the bullet and took the wheel to my local bike shop, and they inspected it and told me they found nothing wrong with it at all. The manager of the shop called me out and said "these are DP18's, right? (I have the logos taken off) I won't sell or recommend these any more because I kept seeing this problem. The rim seems to cause constant flats if you go above 25mm tires, unfortunately I think you need a new wheel set unless you want to step your tires back down in size." Has anyone else heard of this? He recommended some velocity chukker rims, but I really don't want to drop $200+ on a new wheel set if I don't have to. Has anyone else experienced this problem with DP18's? Are there many good cheaper alternatives for new wheels? It seems to me that buying a new wheel set is the way to go over just buying new rims, I've never built a wheel before and paying someone to swap new rims onto my hubs seems like more money than just buying a new set. I had to give up commuting to work by bike because it's just not reliable anymore, so any suggestions to getting my ride up and a running again would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-15-17, 03:36 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's uh... odd.

I've never heard of a rim causing flats on a specific size of tire...

I'd try using a few layers of electrical tape to cover the ENTIRE inside of the rim, all of the way up to the hooks (not including the sides of the rim.) I know you just bought new rim tape... but still, the electrical tape never hurt.

Then, make sure you're using tubes that fit your tires. Check the inside of the tires with your fingers VERY VERY closely. Flex the tire when you're doing it. Turn the tire inside out if you can. You'll feel it if something is there.

Is the hole in the tube on the OUTSIDE.. toward the tire or on the INSIDE toward the rim? Is it a snake bite flat (two small slits?)
Old 06-15-17, 03:39 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
What do the punctures look like - small hole, tear, slit? Any puckering or marks near the site? Also, it's obvious but have to ask if it's near a spoke well.
Old 06-15-17, 04:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I'd bet on overlooking something that's causing the puncture. Either a bit of glass or wire that's embedded in the tire, or something stuck in the rim tape, or ...

Wire that's shorter than the depth of rubber on a tire is the very dickens to find.
Old 06-15-17, 05:03 PM
holtzmanator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The punctures are happening towards the rim, maybe out from a 45 degree angle, right around where the tire bead sits. It's always one small hole that looks torn, but its always really small (like twice the diameter of a paper clip). This led me to believe it was the tire so I first rotated the tire and then just ended up replacing it. Then I got about 90 miles out of it, I thought I was home free, and then it happened again. The extra weird thing is that I got sick and didn't ride for 5-6 days, and on the 6th or so day of it being left in place in my living room, the tire went flat. At that point I game up and brought it to a shop, where the finger was pointed at my dp18's. Honestly, the mechanic looked genuinely confused and told me he meticulously inspected my wheel and tire and couldn't find anything that should be causing this either, so he blamed the narrow rim and "the fact that weinmann dp18's have weird shaped hooks." I don;t know if that's true or whether he was just trying to get me to buy new rims so I thought I'd post on here. Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 06-15-17, 05:15 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I've not seen a normal rim cause flats without some other factor being present, but for a puncture to happen in the same place relative to the valve stem (one or both tire?) even when you rotate the tire means it has to be somehow rim related.
Old 06-15-17, 05:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
FWIW, I did google your rims and max tire size and I found some threads that indicated a similar issue with tires over 28mm, odd as it may sound. You may be able to add additional tape or just go to a 28c tire.

John
Old 06-15-17, 05:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have these rims and I put some 34mm tires on them and didn't like the ride at all. They are narrow and the recommended max tire size is only 23mm - can't say for sure that's the cause of your flats but you're certainly pushing the envelope. I'd expect if it were a tire/rim width problem you'd see blowouts and squirminess rather than punctures.

Sheldon's chart says up to 25mm tires for 13mm rims and that's generally conservative.
I've got 27mm on there now with no problems.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 06-15-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 08:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like the 700x32 tires are too wide for the rims. The tires are deforming and squirming around unsupported. That would probably explain flats without apparent punctures.

Good to know you had good results from Vittoria Rubino Pros. I may try those in 700x25 on my bike. My Centurion Ironman came with 700x23 Vittoria Zaffiros. Not bad tires, just too jittery and chattery on our rough chip seal pavement. The Araya CTL-370 rims are very narrow and limited in tire width, and I doubt the rims and frame would accommodate even some 700x28 road tires. But I may give the 700x25 Rubino Pros a try.
Old 06-15-17, 09:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I've been running Rubino Pros for a few years now. A lot better than Zaffiros and the sidewalls don't crack.

John