Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie a bit worried about beginning.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 08:06 AM
WadeWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I've been looking to buy a bike for a little while now for cycling to and from work (about 6km each way) the ride is almost entirely along a MUP which is nice because I'm a little worried about riding on the roads, but the path gets awful busy with cyclists and walkers around home time so I'm nervous about riding with everyone else and making a fool of myself in some unknown way.

I've been reading this forum and watching a lot of GCN, and I've ridden the path a few times using the cities' cycle hire service (late at night when it's quiet). I know I just need to finally do it and I'll become more comfortable with practice, but I'm a bit of a nervous sort.

Was just wondering if anyone has felt the same way, or had any experiences with these sort of issues that might help me feel more confident starting out.
Old 01-16-18, 08:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by WadeWT
Hello,

I've been looking to buy a bike for a little while now for cycling to and from work (about 6km each way) the ride is almost entirely along a MUP which is nice because I'm a little worried about riding on the roads, but the path gets awful busy with cyclists and walkers around home time so I'm nervous about riding with everyone else and making a fool of myself in some unknown way. ...
Let me reassure you that unknowingly making a fool of yourself will be about the least of concerns. In all seriousness, there are almost always people being foolish on a busy MUP, sometimes most of them. Common sense and courtesy takes care of most of that regardless of bike skills.

I remember how self-conscious I was starting out, feeling as if everyone was watching, judging, commenting to each other about the idiot on the bike and taking bets on how long you'll last. The few who honk at you or yell reinforces it. But you realize a few things about that after awhile: 1, you don't care, 2, the only attention most of them pay you ends when they get past you, 3, no one cares how skilled or experienced we are, and 4, the vast majority of people have no idea whether we're ex-pros or complete newbies. So that goes away pretty quickly.

What you do need to worry about on the MUP is that people unpredictably pull dumb stunts, such as jumping in front of you without looking, racing around blind corners, taking up the full path, and worse. Be ready for that, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-16-18, 08:40 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My oldest daughter has the same fear and - despite me buying her a number of bikes over the last 5 years - won't get out and ride. Don't be like her. Just get out and ride. Now, or you'll just never get around to it.
Old 01-16-18, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
“Everything worth doing starts with being scared.” credit: Art Garfunkel

you're gonna be so happy
Old 01-16-18, 09:03 AM
WadeWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, just the sort of encouragement I was after. I'm going to try riding home tomorrow afternoon on the local cycle hire (I'm still saving for my first bike). I think I'll just take it slow and observe for now. At the moment I just walk home but I've been really looking forward to cycling.
Old 01-16-18, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Don't forget to wave to other cyclists.
Old 01-16-18, 09:08 AM
WadeWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't forget to wave to other cyclists.
Haha, I've been keeping that in mind and have been doing so when I go out at night. But there's just so dang many on the MUP I'd be riding home that I'd be waving every few seconds (for portions at least) I'll try my best, though.
Old 01-16-18, 09:12 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Buy the bike, ride. You'll do great!
Old 01-16-18, 09:15 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Pro tip: unless you are riding like a maniac and hitting people, or at least putting forth a lot of close calls and riding in a dangerous manner, no one pays attention to you on a MUP.

Even more of a pro tip: anyone that is going to be a rooster and judge you for being a newbie isn't on a MUP anyways

Just go do it, after two or three rides you'll realize there is nothing to it.
Old 01-16-18, 09:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by WadeWT
Haha, I've been keeping that in mind and have been doing so when I go out at night. But there's just so dang many on the MUP I'd be riding home that I'd be waving every few seconds (for portions at least) I'll try my best, though.
I was joshing you.
Old 01-16-18, 09:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Ride around your neighborhood if it is quiet. if not, take the bike to some suburban neighborhood, preferably one with only one entrance, and ride on roads where there is very little traffic and no fast traffic. You ought to be able to find a neighborhood where there is very little traffic and usually only one car at a time, a resident leaving or returning.

Often you could have the whole road to yourself, and generally people are pretty carfeul in their own neighborhoods, so you wouldn't be under any pressure.
Old 01-16-18, 09:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
And if you ride on an MUP and see a cyclist in full racing kit ... go faster, so that cyclist can post here about how he "outraced" you ... or even better, lost.
Old 01-16-18, 10:52 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And if you ride on an MUP and see a cyclist in full racing kit ... go faster, so that cyclist can post here about how he "outraced" you ... or even better, lost.
LOL.
I just point and laugh when I see a cyclist in full kit on a MUP.
Old 01-16-18, 12:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
LOL.
I just point and laugh when I see a cyclist in full kit on a MUP.
You would do more laughing than riding if you rode around here. Though perhaps 'MUP' and 'Paved Trail' are different.
Regardless, with an absurd number of miles of both around here, with MUPs connecting Paved Trails, there is no shortage of cyclists in a jersey and PI shorts.
Old 01-16-18, 01:03 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You would do more laughing than riding if you rode around here. Though perhaps 'MUP' and 'Paved Trail' are different.
Regardless, with an absurd number of miles of both around here, with MUPs connecting Paved Trails, there is no shortage of cyclists in a jersey and PI shorts.
MUP - Multi-use path, usually filled with old people walking, kids playing, and dogs doing their thing. Great for a leisurely ride, bad for high-speed cycling.
Old 01-16-18, 01:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
MUP - Multi-use path, usually filled with old people walking, kids playing, and dogs doing their thing. Great for a leisurely ride, bad for high-speed cycling.
Not all MUPs are created equal. Even the same MUP can be totally different depending on the day of the week and the time of day. Our local MUP, the American River Bike Trail is just like you describe--on Saturday morning. On Monday morning, particularly before 8am, it's a bike highway for riders who are commuting, training, or both.
Old 01-16-18, 01:15 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Perhaps by you. Around me, they can be a bit congested for a half mile or so around parking lots, but other than that are pretty free and easy to navigate, even at speed.
Old 01-16-18, 01:18 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Queen gives the best possible advice for this situation - "GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE!"

It's the only option. Don't over plan. Don't over think it. Get a bike. Get on it. Ride it to work. The sooner you just get on the bike and start pedaling, the sooner it will seem simple.

6km isn't a huge distance. So you won't really need to work up to it much even if you're new. The first couple times might wear you out (especially if there are hills) and your butt will be sore for the first 2 weeks. But it's all minor and will pass.

To prepare, take the ride on a Saturday the first time just so you know you can do it. And you'll learn how long it takes you. You don't want to give yourself 30 minutes for the ride to work and find out it takes you 45 so you're late. Ride it on an off day and learn how long it takes when you're not rushed. You'll speed up over the first couple of weeks after you start doing it regularly.

You'll also learn of any hazards or delays you don't realize are there now. Maybe there's a train track you have to cross that will slow you down. Maybe there's a busy road you have to ride a half mile up to get to a safe crossing. Etc etc...the Saturday test ride will teach you that stuff so nothing is a surprise on the first day when you have to be there by a certain time.

If possible, for your first time, take a change of clothes to work the day before and leave them there. That way you're not worried about looking nice at work or being sweaty. Nor do you have to worry about how to pack your clothes. Later you'll need to decide if you like a backpack or pannier bags. But for the first time, just have a change of clothes there waiting for you if possible. 1 thing at a time.

But again, most important best advice possible....stop thinking. Start pedaling. Get on the bike. Ride it. By the time you're half way to work the first day you'll wonder what took you so long to start.

As far as buying a bike, you're new so you don't know exactly what you want yet. You might consider Craiglist or other place that sells used bikes. You can get a decent used bike for a very good price that way. Get one cheap, figure out what you do and don't like about it. Then once you have an idea of what you really want you can spend more money to get something better suited to you. No point in spending a lot on a bike now when you don't know what you'd really like.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 01-16-18 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 01:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yes, I'm aware of the term and used it in my post.
There are MUPs and there are paved trails. Pretty tough to identify the difference at times, but i consider MUPs to be areas with regular street crossings/parking entrances. Paved trails then are the same wide width path, just placed along a creek/river/old railroad where there are infrequent crossings.

MUPS then help connect trails to one another, as well as provide access from home to trail.

I can look outside the massive window at my work and see a MUP about 40' away from me. Basically any town in my metro that puts in sidewalks along a larger road instead has MUPs installed. They are everywhere and connect people from house to trails and house to county roads for road riding.
Why ride on a suburban 4 lane 45mph road to get to county roads if there is a paved path right next to that busy road?

Fully agree that when there are walkers, kids, etc etc then caution and respect need to be shown, but its for multiple uses, by its name. so...
Old 01-16-18, 01:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Bon Jovi gives the best possible advice for this situation - "GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE!"
Queen too...
Old 01-16-18, 01:36 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Warning to the OP - road bikers in full kit have no sense of humor.
Old 01-16-18, 01:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anyway, as to the OP: Good advice above to take a weekend test ride. Sort out your route, keeping in mind that the best way on a bike isn't necessarily the best way by car or foot. Try a couple of different routes.

Think about what you need to carry to work. There are a number of options, from backpacks to racks and panniers or baskets.

Think about visibility. If you're riding to work, at least one of your rides is likely to be in the dark or dusk.

Think about where and how you will secure your bike at work. Is it a rack? Is it in a cage? Maybe a bike box? Get a lock that works for your situation.

And think about how you will neaten up when you arrive. 6km isn't very far. I have a similar distance, and in cool weather, I will just ride in my work clothes. But in summer, I'll be soaked with sweat even if I go very slowly.

Take a look in the Commuting forum, lurk around, and ask questions.
Old 01-16-18, 02:05 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I have it pretty good in my area. A MUP that makes up about 22 miles of my 27 mile workout route I see anywhere from 0 to 10 people tops. I know the feeling though. In a park MUP I pass through in another part of town in route to the MTB trails, there is 10 people every 50 feet.
Old 01-16-18, 02:14 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Queen too...
Oh ffs....how did I do that?

I was even picturing Freddie Mercury in my head when I typed that.

I fixed it. Now let us never discuss this again.
Old 01-16-18, 02:41 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm just jealous of the 6km commute. What's that, like 0.34 Freedom Units?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.