Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Compact vs semi-compact

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Compact vs semi-compact

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 11:59 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Compact vs semi-compact

I'm currently running a 50/34 with an 11-28 (105) on one of my bikes. On long, gradual descents I find that I'm starting to spin out, so I'm toying with the idea of swapping over to a 52/36. If I swap to a semi-compact, should I also swap the cassette to an 11-30 to keep the lowest gear relatively similar? The area where I live is hilly, not mountainous, however. Mostly rolling, with several 3 and 4 category climbs dotted around, but I don't think anything much bigger than that. Advantages and/or disadvantages to making the swap? If I swap, should I keep the 11-28 on the back and see how I get on?
Old 08-02-18, 12:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Unless you are racing down hills, can't you just keep what you have and work on your cadence and/or aero tuck??
Old 08-02-18, 12:44 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
what is your cadence when you spin out?

I’m approaching 40mph before I spin out a 50x12.

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-02-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 12:44 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Coast? Definitely a serious cyclist, BTW.
Old 08-02-18, 12:50 PM
rivers

Originally Posted by noodle soup
what is your cadence when you spin out?

I’m approaching 40mph before I spin out a 50x12.
Not sure of cadence, but hitting 40mph easily, and my legs can't go any faster
Old 08-02-18, 12:58 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rivers
Not sure of cadence, but hitting 40mph easily, and my legs can't go any faster
going from 50t to 52t will get you about 1.5 mph at 120rpm.

I wouldn’t bother making the changes.
Old 08-02-18, 01:01 PM
rivers

going from 50t to 52t will get you about 1.5 mph at 120rpm.

I wouldn’t bother making the changes.
Fair enough, what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 08-02-18, 01:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Tuck and enjoy life.

but if you want to make thebchange, then sure swap the cassette too so you have a similar bailout ratio.
Old 08-02-18, 01:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Pedaling up to 120 rpm briefly to get up to speed is OK, but keeping it up for long is a big waste of energy. Here's a speed calculator.

BikeCalc.com - Speed at all Cadences for any Gear and Wheel
Old 08-02-18, 01:35 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Pedaling up to 120 rpm briefly to get up to speed is OK, but keeping it up for long is a big waste of energy.
Sure, but so is pedaling at 40+ on long downhills.

Unless you are in a race, just tuck and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-02-18, 01:50 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Pedaling up to 120 rpm briefly to get up to speed is OK, but keeping it up for long is a big waste of energy. Here's a speed calculator.

BikeCalc.com - Speed at all Cadences for any Gear and Wheel
EXACTLY!!!!! I get tired of hearing some folks say you don't need higher gearing until you've spun out. Maybe he doesn't want to be spinning 120.
Old 08-02-18, 02:05 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by RShantz
EXACTLY!!!!! I get tired of hearing some folks say you don't need higher gearing until you've spun out. Maybe he doesn't want to be spinning 120.
how often are you riding at 40mph, and for how long?

i want my bike to have ideal gearing for 98% of my ride, not the 2% of the time that I could go 2-3mph faster on a DH.
Old 08-02-18, 02:23 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I just did this exact thing a week ago. Changed from 34/50 to 36/52, keeping the 11-28 cog set. Changing the rings was dirt simple; 4 Torx screws had to be removed and the rings lifted over the pedal. You will have to lift your front derailleur a bit to clear the bigger chainring, possibly add a link to your chain and maybe even tweak your indexing to get everything back to smooth shifting.

Did it change my world? A little bit.
Was it worth it? No idea yet.

Pro's
Coming out of a tuck, I can start to put the power back on at a higher speed.
If your body is used to pedaling at a certain cadence, you'll be a few %age points faster at the same cadence
Hills are really no harder than they were before, even on the lowest gear; you really only added 4 or 5% to it and the body seems to adjust OK to that.

Cons
Costs money
You have to relearn your shifting, I'm still getting used to having to stay on the small ring for an extra gear before hopping up the large. Its weird to have to think about shifting, it was pretty ingrained and now I've changed it all

I'd say do it if you really find yourself spinning out lots and you have the legs to push the big gears; you really don't make up much time on the down slope, but being able to get back on the power a bit earlier is a good way to carry the speed further. Otherwise, if you're not a total clock watcher/strava addict (I may be one, the other or both), there really may not be much advantage to it.
Old 08-02-18, 05:54 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rivers
I'm currently running a 50/34 with an 11-28 (105) on one of my bikes. On long, gradual descents I find that I'm starting to spin out, so I'm toying with the idea of swapping over to a 52/36. If I swap to a semi-compact, should I also swap the cassette to an 11-30 to keep the lowest gear relatively similar? The area where I live is hilly, not mountainous, however. Mostly rolling, with several 3 and 4 category climbs dotted around, but I don't think anything much bigger than that. Advantages and/or disadvantages to making the swap? If I swap, should I keep the 11-28 on the back and see how I get on?
Yes
And forget that nonsense about whether you are actually spinning out or not. If you have to spin - at all - to accelerate to 35mph+ on a negative grade, you need a bigger chain ring, and you're probably strong enough to manage your climbs with a mid, too. A bit of mashing at the top of a descent pays such nice dividends. Why anyone thinks its OK for a geared bike to require one to spin on normal descents is beyond me. Maybe they just don't like to go fast.
Old 08-02-18, 06:33 PM
RShantz

how often are you riding at 40mph, and for how long?

i want my bike to have ideal gearing for 98% of my ride, not the 2% of the time that I could go 2-3mph faster on a DH.
That comment essentially makes my point. I just want the ideal gearing at my preferred cadence for the situation. I use my 52-11 a lot more than I use my 36-28. In addition, I use the 52-11 a lot more than I use 52-22. Point of that rambling is that the 52-11 increases the % of time that I'm riding at my preferred gearing and cadence.

This is what folks miss who always rant "you haven't spun out yet". I want to limit excessive spinning and excessive grinding.
Old 08-02-18, 06:39 PM
noodle soup

That comment essentially makes my point. I just want the ideal gearing at my preferred cadence for the situation. I use my 52-11 a lot more than I use my 36-28. In addition, I use the 52-11 a lot more than I use 52-22. Point of that rambling is that the 52-11 increases the % of time that I'm riding at my preferred gearing and cadence.
Are you drunk?

What percentage of your ride is at 40mph?

I hit 40mph for a moment on every ride, but I don't choose my gears to optimize that moment.
Old 08-02-18, 07:18 PM
RShantz

Are you drunk?

What percentage of your ride is at 40mph?

I hit 40mph for a moment on every ride, but I don't choose my gears to optimize that moment.
You're the drunk one. I've just finally heard enough of this crap & decided to reply.

Again, why must I ride 40mph in the 52-11. What if I prefer a cadence of 80 while riding in a group & not pulling? That would be about 30mph. Or maybe spin 95 on a descent - 35mph.

Why can't you understand that you don't have to spin your big gear at high cadence.
Old 08-02-18, 07:23 PM
Mt. Tam

Bikes: Raleigh Revenio Carbon (w/Reynolds Aero 58's) , '90 Lemond (Z-Team steel, w/HPlusSon w/I9 Torch's), Ridley Supercross (w/Boyd Altamonts)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really more of an issue of what gradients you're on. If you're doing climbs that are steeper than 10-15% then I would say stick with compact. But if you're regularly on ramps below that then go for 52-36 with an 11-28. At least that's my preference in hilly Marin County.

On some of the 20-28% grades in SF, my 50-34, 11-32 gravel bike is far better even though it's heavier. Sounds like OP may be more concerned with spinning out on descents, but seems the climbs should be the first priority.
Old 08-02-18, 10:21 PM
noodle soup

Why can't you understand that you don't have to spin your big gear at high cadence.
What part of the OP's question are you having trouble with?
Old 08-02-18, 10:26 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Colorado and love hitting the front range mountain climbs. My new bike has a sub-compact and my
old bike had a compact. I can tell you I prefer having the 52 over the 50 more than I miss having the 34 over the 36. However, everyone’s mileage is going to vary on this. Which is why I find it funny that people argue about it like it is robbing their identity if you don’t follow their religion here. If you feel you would be better off with a sub compact, you’re probably right. However, you won’t really know unless you try.

Unfortunately, if you are wrong, it’s kind of an expensive trial. Either way, the difference is pretty small on the grand scheme. So if money is tight, I wouldn’t change anything. If you have some free income, why not? You may really like the change.
Old 08-03-18, 12:27 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I would say there's a difference between actually being spun out and not wanting to spin at a high cadence. A lot of times people say one thing when they really mean the other. I would also say a lot of people would be better off not pedaling at all in an aero tuck which would be just as fast if not faster
Old 08-03-18, 12:48 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
OP you can mix and match whatever rings you want up front. as long as they fit. but a 2 teeth difference up front is less than 5% difference in gearing. if you went to a 55 it would at least have been 10%, and thats a difference.
unless you try it you will never know.

same in the rear. a 28 and a 30 is close. but you will feel the difference.

Personally I'm on 1x. thats all i need. i run a 42 or 44 up front. and a 40 for the winter/snowbike.
Old 08-03-18, 02:53 AM
rivers

Originally Posted by Mt. Tam
Really more of an issue of what gradients you're on. If you're doing climbs that are steeper than 10-15% then I would say stick with compact. But if you're regularly on ramps below that then go for 52-36 with an 11-28. At least that's my preference in hilly Marin County.

On some of the 20-28% grades in SF, my 50-34, 11-32 gravel bike is far better even though it's heavier. Sounds like OP may be more concerned with spinning out on descents, but seems the climbs should be the first priority.
It's hilly where I live, but not mountainous. Quite a few 3 and 4 cat climbs, and while challenging, aren't killing me. One in particular goes on for a bit. It ramps up at the beginning, hitting a 24% gradient for a short spell, before levelling off to a slight uphill for a couple of miles. Average gradient over the entire 3.1miles is 4%. There is another, similar, climb that I tend to do the same ride, but it's not as windy, but slightly steeper (max 25%, average 5%, similar distance, higher elevation). Again, it's not a struggle, and I've seen all manner of bikes do this hill, including folders, as it features on the most popular local sportive. Most people make it up from what I've seen. These are two of the iconic climbs in the area I live, but by no means the most difficult. But they are typical of what hills I do ride.
Old 08-03-18, 06:10 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What part of the OP's question are you having trouble with?
Have to agree with Noodle here unless I am missing something?
If you are not racing, why in the world would you switch up for no other reason than spinning out at 40mph which only happens on a tiny fraction of your ride?
Unless the switch improves the rest of your ride it seems like nothing more than an exercise or scratching an itch.
Nothing wrong with that either of course.
Old 08-03-18, 06:47 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Because its not always just about a focus on spinning out in the small cog on descents. I found when I had a compact that I'd spent most of the time in the bottom 2 or 3 gears on the rear cassette, and by moving to a semi compact I had a much better chain line and more efficient drive train for the gears I was in most of the time. I also found the jump between the two front chain rings just felt too big on a compact, and as a result I found myself cross-chaining more in the small ring too.

To the OP I would say go for it, if you can get up the hills around Bristol without too much strain on your current set up, you will be fine on a semi compact. My sister lives in Bristol and I visited her and cycled around the area, I've only got bikes with semi compact and regular 53/39 and don't have any cassettes with bigger than a 25 on (and I'm an 85kg pie eater), so you'll be fine with the 28.

And depending on your crank you may just need to only change the rings. I had a compact Campag one that allowed you to just fit new 52/36 chain rings to the same crank, sounds cheaper in theory but of course it was Campag so it was anything but, LOL, think I got compatible TA ones in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.