Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

The Actual Cattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 01:57 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
The Actual Cattle

OK I think we've beat the cattle crossing issue into the ground.

What about the actual dam cattle?

What do you do when there's a scattering of them on the road?

What if there's bulls in the mix?

What are the best tires for dealing with cattle?........(j/k)
Old 09-20-18, 02:03 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Keep moving forward, maybe shout a bit. Keep an eye on them but usually they get out of the way.
Old 09-20-18, 02:12 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I race them. Mostly deer around here. They always win, but I put up a good fight!

Not sure why they just HAVE to cross the road first...
Old 09-20-18, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I think it depends on the herd. Is it a small farmer herd that got loose which could be quite tame, or a more wild range herd? One cow, or a herd? How big of a herd?

As with any animal, the responses are generally predictable, but there is an unpredictable nature to them.

We had a fairly docile herd that determined that one of the neighbor's goats was a threat, and attacked and killed it.

The cows are often a bit timid, but will also come to you out of curiosity, or perhaps in hopes of getting a handout.

And, you could just get in their way. So they may not mean to trample a person, but may not really care either.

Anyway, I would give them as much space as I could, slow down, and try not to startle them.

Perhaps make sure they knew I was there (wave arms, some hollering, etc). Watch when you corner them into a fence or something where their only response is to come back towards you.

Also, beware of the mother/calf bond.
Old 09-20-18, 02:35 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think it depends on the herd. Is it a small farmer herd that got loose which could be quite tame, or a more wild range herd? One cow, or a herd? How big of a herd?

As with any animal, the responses are generally predictable, but there is an unpredictable nature to them.

We had a fairly docile herd that determined that one of the neighbor's goats was a threat, and attacked and killed it.

The cows are often a bit timid, but will also come to you out of curiosity, or perhaps in hopes of getting a handout.

And, you could just get in their way. So they may not mean to trample a person, but may not really care either.

Anyway, I would give them as much space as I could, slow down, and try not to startle them.

Perhaps make sure they knew I was there (wave arms, some hollering, etc). Watch when you corner them into a fence or something where their only response is to come back towards you.

Also, beware of the mother/calf bond.
For me its always free range herds on national forest or BLM land.

Sometimes there's bulls which I find kind of intimidating. Last year I detoured around a couple, which was kind of irritating.

Usually I just talk loud saying fake cowboy things and hope theyll move. They usually do.
Old 09-21-18, 02:43 PM
GeorgeAz

Bikes: Orbea Alma 2018, Specialized Allez comp triple 2007, 1977 Raleigh 3sp, 1984 Raleigh 531 Campy road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run across open range cattle a lot. The joys of being remote in the American West where I often pass way more cattle than trucks. Think 5-6 vehicles in 30 miles, it is wonderful, the trade off being there really isn't any way to get water, but that is my problem. Sometimes big herds, like 100 plus all over the road and both sides. Now if the cattle are moving, I stay out of the mix, I have stopped for a herd crossing which is sometimes what they want to do. These are essentially unsupervised herds and there is no one around and the roads are "open range." Now if the cattle are just milling about with a few on the road, I will slowly approach and whistle a western tune. My favorite being "Home on the range." You might think this is ridiculous, but I know several of the ranchers who have told me if the heard gets spooked, while on horseback, they will whistle to the herd. I have never had a problem this way. I know it sounds stupid, but I have been with Eastern US riders and they are stunned while I whistle and lead though. Usually bulls aren't with the herd, what has horns are steers. If a bull is really out there and squares, you better haul a*!. And not toward the animal. They are very large and most cattle weigh in excess of 1500 lbs on the hoof. If they step on you, it will hurt.

More concerning is open range donkeys, these critters are smart, but if there are little ones around and the little ones are adorable, do NOT mess with them. Donkeys will stomp you, they have been known to kill mountain lions. For donkeys, I just let my Chis King hub spin and they will move off, they don't like the sound or it bothers them. They have approached me, I think out of curiosity, but when I have stopped pedaling they have always moved off.

Use your head, if some big cow was to square off with me, I am going the other direction, even if it means the other way I wanted to go. They are herd animals and don't want problems. They are not going to chase you very far. I have had coyotes run next to me and antelope run beside me until they decide to leave me in the dust. Antelope can hit about 60mph or so and are the fasted herd animal in North America. Elk and deer kinda scare me because one never knows which way they are going to go and usually will go the other way, but outside of Flagstaff on Lake Mary road, a large cow elk ran next to my wife for about 40 yards, the cow was huge. She kept her pace and the elk went its own way. I don't normally see too many deer, I do see more elk and antelope and certainly more cattle.

The ranchers really do care about their herds, and if a cow gets hurt and it is your doing, it could be a problem. I don't chase them, or go off road around them. Be especially careful in spring when there are calves around. Stay steady, don't try to pet or feed them and if it is a tight bunch on the road, approach slowly. It appears to me, most cattle don't want anything to do with me on a bike. And I guess as some see me from time to time, I am just another passing object which means no threat.

That is the best advice I can give.

Last edited by GeorgeAz; 09-22-18 at 08:02 AM. Reason: sp error
Old 09-21-18, 04:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Barbecue.

-Tim-
Old 09-22-18, 07:56 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by GeorgeAz
....That is the best advice I can give.
Excellent!

Good to know about the donkeys. Not an issue where I live, but I've been through NV where wild donkeys are pretty common.
Old 09-22-18, 08:50 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I give cows with new calves a wide berth. I also give bulls a wide berth, especially when they are actively courting. That said, cattle that are familiar with humans tend to be interested in whether there is a food delivery or not...I hunt a farm where the cows regularly follow me for a period. Lol...once I set up for coyotes and was surrounded by the herd after sitting there for about ten minutes—-a couple of them nosing me. These are not free rangers, however, I’d be much more cautious about them.
Old 09-22-18, 04:38 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Just yell "MOOOOOVE!" They'll appreciate the pun and get out of your way.
Old 09-22-18, 05:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
this topic is WIN!
Old 09-23-18, 08:57 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I think theyre just trying to evade any more puns.
Old 09-23-18, 11:42 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
You should sing the cattle call song:

Old 09-23-18, 12:08 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As long s your chain is lubed with the proper lube, your tubeless tires are aired up properly and your carbon frame not cracked then I would just take a few swigs of a proper electrolyte drink and proceed with caution.
Old 09-23-18, 01:02 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Excellent!

Good to know about the donkeys. Not an issue where I live, but I've been through NV where wild donkeys are pretty common.
Once camped near Black Velvet Canyon when it was legal, I was awakened by warm, moist breath on my face. A burro had it's muzzle about a foot from my face. When my eyes opened, he brayed!

I did not know it's possible to levitate a foot from the ground from a dead sleep.
Old 09-24-18, 10:04 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I grew up on a cattle ranch. If the question is serious . . . make the least sound necessary to let the protective leaders of the herd know you are there. And start making that sound some distance away -- 1/4 mile or so, if possible. You don't want to startle, just inform. If they know you are there before you come within their personal space, they are likely to move the herd to get out of your way. (It may not be as fast as you like, but they will do it.) If you startle them and some of the cattle start to bolt, the herd can become unpredictable and dangerous. What is the "least sound necessary?" In my younger days, I herded cattle all the time. I never yelled or whistled. A little forceful hissing/swishing sound with the mouth usually suffices.

On open range, buffalo are a more serious matter. If a buffalo sees you coming, they are as likely to intentionally block your path as anything. They will not give ground. They will not get out of your way. Find a new road.

Not long ago, three of my bovine-unfamiliar friends were out on a ride. They came down a steep descent single file and there was a herd of cattle dining in a wet, manure-filled area near the bottom. The first rider startled the herd. The herd bolted. And the herd churned up enough manure to cover the second rider. The odor was so bad the other two riders couldn't stand to ride within 100 yards of him. Cattle can be hazardous even when they charge in the opposite direction!
Old 09-24-18, 10:08 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar

Shut down the internet.

This post was the peak of online awesomeness. It's only going downhill from here.
Old 09-24-18, 11:41 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I grew up on a cattle ranch. If the question is serious . . . make the least sound necessary to let the protective leaders of the herd know you are there. And start making that sound some distance away -- 1/4 mile or so, if possible. You don't want to startle, just inform. If they know you are there before you come within their personal space, they are likely to move the herd to get out of your way. (It may not be as fast as you like, but they will do it.) If you startle them and some of the cattle start to bolt, the herd can become unpredictable and dangerous. What is the "least sound necessary?" In my younger days, I herded cattle all the time. I never yelled or whistled. A little forceful hissing/swishing sound with the mouth usually suffices.

On open range, buffalo are a more serious matter. If a buffalo sees you coming, they are as likely to intentionally block your path as anything. They will not give ground. They will not get out of your way. Find a new road.

Not long ago, three of my bovine-unfamiliar friends were out on a ride. They came down a steep descent single file and there was a herd of cattle dining in a wet, manure-filled area near the bottom. The first rider startled the herd. The herd bolted. And the herd churned up enough manure to cover the second rider. The odor was so bad the other two riders couldn't stand to ride within 100 yards of him. Cattle can be hazardous even when they charge in the opposite direction!
Supplemental silliness notwithstanding, the question is totally serious. I encounter the bovines a few times a year when I do higher country rides, and I really want to know best practices rather than just winging it.

Thanks for the insider knowledge. We dont have open range bison here. Lots of elk though, and a few moose.
Old 09-25-18, 10:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I give cows with new calves a wide berth. I also give bulls a wide berth, especially when they are actively courting. That said, cattle that are familiar with humans tend to be interested in whether there is a food delivery or not...I hunt a farm where the cows regularly follow me for a period. Lol...once I set up for coyotes and was surrounded by the herd after sitting there for about ten minutes—-a couple of them nosing me. These are not free rangers, however, I’d be much more cautious about them.
Exactly what Stormsedge said. I have some cattle not big time, if you can spell Kattle you are in the Kattle business
Old 09-26-18, 07:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Luckily dealing with all the bull on BF is good practice.
Old 09-26-18, 09:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
dunno, they keep them fenced in up here, so I just ride by & wave

Old 09-26-18, 12:58 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
dunno, they keep them fenced in up here, so I just ride by & wave
Wow, what a pitiful, sickly looking bunch of cattle! I don't think anyone would fear those . . . even if they somehow managed to escape!
Old 09-26-18, 01:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There was a defiant looking cow blocking the Rendezvous Basin trail. I eventually turned back the way I came.
Old 09-26-18, 11:27 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
There was a defiant looking cow blocking the Rendezvous Basin trail. I eventually turned back the way I came.
You should have said MOOOOOO over cow. Yes so corny it is
Old 09-27-18, 09:52 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Was mt biking with a friend and his wife on their tandem. Past the cattle gate, herd ahead. His wife was nervous about passing them. He tells her not to worry about them,slaps one one the ass passing it. It kicked them, knocked them down. Preceeds to let loose a torrent of cow crap, dousing them. It was a quiet ride home......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.